Air Cooling for AMD 9370 Vishera???? cooler master hyper n520?

itsallpoo

Feb 19, 2014
I am building a new rig with this cpu. Admit I didn't do a "ton" of research as to cooling this monster. The consensus seems to be that liquid cooling is the only way to go for this guy because it's 220W and is basically just going to be like an OC'd processor in terms of heat generation. Maybe I'm old fashioned and stuck in my ways, but the concept of liquid around electronics sort of makes my hair stand up; would prefer to stay with air cooling if I can do it. I was worried about airflow in my ten year old lian li mid tower case so I got a budget case off the shelf at the local tiger direct store that has more spots for fans and a bottom mounted power supply. I bought a Cooler Master Hyper N520 fan unit but I'm not finding anyone that's saying they have that for a 9370, do you think it will be able to handle it?

That fan is a pita to install because you pretty much have to pull the motherboard to install screws on the bottom of the board, not a fan of all that so if it's a waste of my time I'd like to know now so I can abandon the idea return the beast and invest in a liquid cooler setup. (Although I'm not quite sure where I can mount the dual fans of something like a corsair n110 in this case, would probably have to pull the top fan out of there and rig a way to mount the fans there. I don't mind messing up this case it was only 60.00 no biggie).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone point me to a list of cpu fans that can handle a 9370 4.4ghz? I should have the board friday for the install, if all else fails thinking I'll just put it together and use the temp monitor doodad I bought to watch the temps closely for a few days.o_O

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Anyone point me to a list of cpu fans that can handle a 9370 4.4ghz?
There's no amount of fans that will help you cool better or more efficiently without compromising the amount of noise generated. Your only choice is to go big and get coolers like Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE. If you already have the Cooler Master Hyper N520, I'm pretty sure it'll do just fine, provided that it isn't overclocked more than its already high factory setting.

itsallpoo

Feb 19, 2014
I could care less about noise. I'm going to see what happens, if it runs too hot I think my only water cooler choice will be a backmounted single radiator product since this case doesnt seem to have any way to pull the top fan or even get to it. Is there a thread on the smaller liquid coolers since I doubt I can wedge a double in this case? Looking at the thermaltake water 3 pro but I"m reading it's a fat boy so that one may be a problem too.

Last edited:

itsallpoo

Feb 19, 2014
Put the box together yesterday, so far the cooler master Hyper N520 seems to be doing well keeping the cpu cool, of course it's relatively cool outside now, remains to be seen what's going to happen in summertime when it's warmer and more humid. I figured out how to get the top of the case off, two tiny black screws in a black case, you'd never see them if you didn't look really hard, on top too needed a long skinny screwdriver to get to it. So far no load about 25c, heavy load 30-32c which seems acceptable for such a hot running beast. Now that I can get the top off I may start looking at the corsair 110 or somesuch, possibly overkill but the difference in a single cooler and a double cooler...why not just get it done instead of having to do it again later. I ran one of the unigine graphics benchmarks for hours last night as a burn and not one crash, the hottest I saw was 32c. The sensor is on the bottom of the heatsink next to the cpu but not on the cpu, AMD has had a sensor under the cpu for years and it seems to read lower, I'm sure the reality is someplace in the middle. Any pretty happy with the new box, it screams over what I had.

Gigabyte GA-9902FXA-UD5
8 gig corsair vengeance LP
AMD 9370 Vishera 4.4 ghz (not OC)
Cooler master Hyper N520
Kingwin FPX-002 temp sensor/fan controller
Samsung SSD
3 gig seagate drive
1 gig maxtor drive
Soundblaster audio (onboard disabled)
G710+ keyboard
Logitech G500
Ultra Etorque A5 case

Easy build other than I seem to be having a crash issue with chrome, runs for hours on anything else but boot up chrome and it starts rebooting every few minutes. Going to try uninstalling and reinstalling it. Nothing like the thrill of building a new box and then hearing that new bad boy go "beep" when you hit the power button!!!!!

Do you think another two memory chips is worth it? Everyone seems to be recommending around 8 gig, is 16 overkill? I hear varying opinions on the issue.