Air Car Floats In

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How about an engineer that wants to build an automobile that will run off of compressed air?

Here is a guy that actually has an intersting idea.

Air Car

What the world needs is better engineers.

Adn4n

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2004
This was on the discovery channel a month ago or so in the series FUTURE CAR. Quite interesting, sadly the automobile company will kill it off. My only hope now is that FORD in all their dilema will bring back the fully electric car that they helped kill off.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
CityCat model will clock out at 68 mph with a driving range of 125 miles.

Refueling is simple and will only take a few minutes. That is, if you live nearby a gas station with custom air compressor units. The cost of a fill up is approximately $2.00.

Hmmm, well, I wonder who light weight this car really is. So, dunno how much per gallon of gas it costs in India...Tho, 2 bucks (even if they saying 2 bucks American = I assume they are) even at 2 bucks, for 125 miles, I get about 300 or so range on my car at about 35 bucks ... that would break down to approximately 5 bucks to fill the tank.

What would be even cooler is if you plugged the thing into a solar grid when you got home to charge it back up. Personally I drive maybe 30-40 miles average per day so 120 mile range would be OK with me. I'd buy one but I highly doubt you'll be able to get one since bush and co want you to keep buying V8's and V10's gotta keep the big oil wheel greased up...

Interesting idea? This is a great idea! We need to import that man and his car over here. According to the last video, it says that with a hybrid version the CAT (compressed air technology) there is a small engine that runs the compressor to fill up the tank, and that for 1 gallon of gas you could travel from California to NewYork I guess around 3500 miles, that would be impressive.

Also, in the video's they state that after using the air, the exhaust air is cooler and can be recycled for Air Conditioning that's pretty cool... :p

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I think this is a bloody brilliant idea and one that is long-coming. Unfortunately I am certain there are some flaws the article doesn't mention.
For one it is made of fiberglass, and won't poass Americas strigent crash test. Also since many Americans won't be giving up their SUVs, this means if you get into an accident with one, you are dead.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Maybe a bit cynical, but I suspect the speed at which it gets that mileage is not anywhere near its limit of 68mph, more like slower than walking.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I think this is crap on par with magnets for your carburetor to improve your mileage.
Would you like to drive around on top of a bomb? How does it do in an accident?

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: marincounty
I think this is crap on par with magnets for your carburetor to improve your mileage.
Would you like to drive around on top of a bomb? How does it do in an accident?

Sounds about as safe as doing 70mph with 15 gallons of highly flammable material behind your butt.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
its about as likely as those cars in the late 80s and early 90s that relied on flywheels to store energy.

to get the car to US safety specs and creature comforts would require a much heavier vehicle that most likely would not have any range