AIO cooler recs for 2700x pls!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm loving my new 2700X but the stock cooler is way too loud for my tastes so I need recommendations for a replacement cooler.

I like the big, quiet air coolers but I'm very much not keen on having a kilo of metal dangling off my motherboard so that leaves me with an AIO for a quiet solution.

It needs to fit in a space for 2 120mm fans, top mounted in the case.
I'd like it to use the stock mounting system on my AM4 motherboard.
I'm not keen on flashing disco lights but as long as I can turn them off I dont mind them being there.
I need it to be quiet! That's my main reason for swapping out the stock cooler.
Reliability has to be good as well, I want to fit it in and then forget it's there and let it get on with its job.
I'm not massively cost sensitive about it but I'd rather not spend unnecessary amounts!

Cheers guys!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I won't (and can't) recommend any AIO coolers, so I'll leave it to the water experts on that, but I have to ask, even a smaller cooler like the Noctua NH-U12S (or slightly bigger NH-U14S) out of the question? They aren't has big as the NH-D15, and should offer you the quiet that seems important to you.

But if your'e set on a 120mm AIO, I'm sure someone here can recommend a good, quiet unit.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I won't (and can't) recommend any AIO coolers, so I'll leave it to the water experts on that, but I have to ask, even a smaller cooler like the Noctua NH-U12S (or slightly bigger NH-U14S) out of the question? They aren't has big as the NH-D15, and should offer you the quiet that seems important to you.

But if your'e set on a 120mm AIO, I'm sure someone here can recommend a good, quiet unit.

Yeah, I think I'm done with big heavy air coolers. I had a Tuniq Tower in my last build and although it cooled well, was quiet and never did any damage I was always uneasy when moving my PC about with it in. Plus I'd like to try something a bit different anyway.

Any reason you dont like AIO water cooling? I get that big air coolers are probably better for silence but I think that AIOs get quiet enough (or I hope they do anyway).

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Any reason you dont like AIO water cooling? I get that big air coolers are probably better for silence but I think that AIOs get quiet enough (or I hope they do anyway).

Since I really don't overclock anymore, I just enjoy the simplicity, reliability, and quietness of a good air cooler (big Noctua fanboy). If the fan fails, my motherboard will alert me.

I look as watercooling as something I will have to check for leaks, the pump can fail, and generally AIO coolers are not as quiet with my current cooler, the NH-U14S. I know leaks are rare, but I think my OCD would make me pull it out weekly to check everything. ;)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Since I really don't overclock anymore, I just enjoy the simplicity, reliability, and quietness of a good air cooler (big Noctua fanboy). If the fan fails, my motherboard will alert me.

I look as watercooling as something I will have to check for leaks, the pump can fail, and generally AIO coolers are not as quiet with my current cooler, the NH-U14S. I know leaks are rare, but I think my OCD would make me pull it out weekly to check everything. ;)
Big air certainly has a lot of advantages and theres a hell of a lot less to go wrong!

I've given up manually overclocking, it seems to do an excellent job of doing it itself now it just cranks the CPU fan to do it!

Reactions: UsandThem

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm thinking Cooler Master pro 240. Looks fairly quiet and should cool more than well enough. Doesnt seem to have too many disco lights either! :)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm thinking Cooler Master pro 240. Looks fairly quiet and should cool more than well enough. Doesnt seem to have too many disco lights either! :)
Changed my mind.

Now thinking BeQuiet cooler.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-q...quid-cpu-cooler-240mm-hs-015-bq.html#comments

Its got a copper radiator and block so there shouldn't be any galvanic shenanigans going on, its got a fill port, and it uses normal water cooling fittings so you can add a rad to it if thats ever need at some point.

And no disco lights!

Jimie

Feb 19, 2018
If you are going with Bequiet might as well opt for the Coolermaster 240. They are pretty well known for their AIO and priced cheaper.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If you are going with Bequiet might as well opt for the Coolermaster 240. They are pretty well known for their AIO and priced cheaper.
I was going to go for the Coolermaster but I like that the BeQuiet has a copper radiator as well as block plus it has a filler vent if it needs topping up.

On the downside it uses a backpage fitting sp I'll have to remove the motherboard from the case. :(

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I just can't believe nobody has any recommendations yet.

because they are all horrible on a AMD. :X
Most of the cooling spots were optimized for intel processors. 80% of all AIO's are made by ASTEK regardless of brand.
This is why most AIO's are benched on Intel processors and not AMD.

Something like a Noctua air sink can and will probably will match if not beat it in performance, as its designed for both, without emphases on Intel Processors.

And if you bring thread ripper out with its larger dies.... GG

i cant think of any AIO's which is TR optimized, and custom water setups are just getting the blocks in for that monolithic die.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well the Be Quiet silent loop 240mm (Nice name! Not!) works really well. It was stupidly easy to install (just bolted on to the existing back plate on the motherboard, it was actually easier than unhooking the old heatsink!). Its really quiet with a sensible fan profile (and it doesnt need any funky software to do it, just use the PWM controls in the BIOS). I'm idling at about 30C and loading at just under 60C with everything at stock (all core boost is hitting 4Ghz and 4.2Ghz single core) thats using windows balanced power option not the Ryzen balanced one (which seems to set the voltage uncomfortably high for me).

I'm really pleased with it. I was worried about pump noise (as people had mentioned that as a minus of AIOs) but I really cant hear the pump at all. I do now need to replace the existing case fans with better, quiet PWM ones as they are now the only things in my case I can hear when its at idle!

And no disco lights!!

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
Most of the cooling spots were optimized for intel processors. 80% of all AIO's are made by ASTEK regardless of brand.

Something like a Noctua air sink can and will probably will match if not beat it in performance, as its designed for both, without emphases on Intel Processors.

i cant think of any AIO's which is TR optimized, and custom water setups are just getting the blocks in for that monolithic die.

This just isn't true. Intel and AMD's AM4 socket are both cooled equally well with any of the standard Asetek coolers, which include most of the AIOs from Corsair, EVGA, NZXT, and many other brands. The microfins cover the full die for both brands of processor, and the cold plate will cover the full heat spreader for any of the processors with the exception of Threadripper.

Asetek does make the vast majority of AIOs that sell in the US, so the differentiater will be the fans that are used. I would recommending looking for someone who does a noise normalized test on the AIOs and see who has the best preforming fans. I'm pretty sure Gamers Nexus does that, so I would check them out.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

maybe i should of provided more detailed information on why i made that statement.
Lets look at the Astek cold plate..

This is vs thread ripper... you see how u get insufficient core coverage?
amd-threadripper-coldplate-1-png.312044

This is already fail on a thread ripper, because your not covering the entire die...

Now onto the 1800/2700x:
lets look at the die possition and location.

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-Delidded-1-800x699.jpg

i believe you still get clipping of die coverage on an AIO.

Thread ripper and 1800x are very long dies vs a short and stubby 7900x per say.
intel-7900x-delid-die-size-2.jpg

You also see how the cold plate on that asetek is exactly the size of 7900x?
This also applies to KB-L and CF-L

This is why i said asteks are mostly Intel optimized.

This is Noctua's answer to TR AMD.. its called TR4.

597d2a84821f5.jpg

But hey OP if your happy with your AIO, then congrats.
I would however change the stock fans on that AIO, as there are no AIO's which come with good fans and this was shown by gamersnexus.

You can do a bit of googling and see there results.

Last edited:

Hendrickson

Dec 30, 2016
Yes, many people know about TR4/Threadripper and how most AIOs don't do a great job of cooling them. However Enermax has a great TR4 AIO cooler if you're looking for something for Threadripper. Other than those, I would suggest going with the Noctua air coolers, or go custom loop for your Threadripper 1/2 setups.

However, Ryzen 1 and 2 are cooled just fine by Asetek AIOs, and while still not as reliable as air, they are really reliable these days, and I have no problem recommending them.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

maybe i should of provided more detailed information on why i made that statement.
Lets look at the Astek cold plate..

This is vs thread ripper... you see how u get insufficient core coverage?
amd-threadripper-coldplate-1-png.312044

This is already fail on a thread ripper, because your not covering the entire die...

Now onto the 1800/2700x:
lets look at the die possition and location.

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-Delidded-1-800x699.jpg

i believe you still get clipping of die coverage on an AIO.

Thread ripper and 1800x are very long dies vs a short and stubby 7900x per say.
intel-7900x-delid-die-size-2.jpg

You also see how the cold plate on that asetek is exactly the size of 7900x?
This also applies to KB-L and CF-L

This is why i said asteks are mostly Intel optimized.

This is Noctua's answer to TR AMD.. its called TR4.

597d2a84821f5.jpg

But hey OP if your happy with your AIO, then congrats.
I would however change the stock fans on that AIO, as there are no AIO's which come with good fans and this was shown by gamersnexus.

You can do a bit of googling and see there results.
The plate is square on the be quite and bigger than the heatspreader on the 2700x.

Either way it seems to be doing a fine job of cooling the CPU and doing it quietly. :)

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I like the big, quiet air coolers but I'm very much not keen on having a kilo of metal dangling off my motherboard
I am using dual-socket computers with two such kilos dangling off their mainboards. The oldest are two years in service now, and so far so good. (They are not carried to LAN parties, just sitting in their corner, running fully loaded for periods of days or weeks as needed.)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

The Enermax 360 AIO is optimized for TR4, and I have 3 of them, and they work great. Also, for AM4 (what he is asking about) a have a 240 AIO that works perfectly, and it is generic and $50

Here is the TR4 solution($130): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214080
And here is my AM4 solution ($50) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103234

Currently the AM4 unit is $40 after promo, no rebate needed

Last edited:

Batboy88

Jul 17, 2018
Haven't used an AIO in years...Got the EK block that isn't that great...it's Aluminum...
So yeah Using now the China Generic Haswell block, and find any of those ok to good Pumps and as usual, 3/8X1/2 or go up to 1/2X5/8 and yeah Preferably a 360mm. That will do well.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Corsair H100iV2 will do the trick and it's not too loud if you change the fan profile.