AIG Execs: "We've been bailed out! Let's PARTY!"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: wetech
Originally posted by: Pastore
Originally posted by: JS80
Eh, it was an independent insurance salesmen hoo rah rah circle jerk we sold whole life to idiots event
not the exec bailout celebration congress made it out to be. hooray for reporting accuracy.

Ever hear of sarcasm?

What sarcasm? It was a completely inaccurate characterization of what happened. The way congress was portraying it, the top 100 execs in the company went on a bender after getting the bailout. Turns out, it's independent contractors who sell AIG insurance that went on the retreat as a perk; you know, the insurance agent down the street who sold you your house insurance. Obama wants them fired. It's a little hard to fire people who don't actually work for you, they just sell your product.

It does not matter who went, it appears bad, and when you're asking the government for a handout, it doesn't show good judgement to spend cash like this. If they're hurting so bad that they have to ask the taxpayer for help, what are they doing spending $400k on something like this?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
It's like they WANT to incite a violent revolt. This sounds like something out of a Batman scene, super villains laughing on their way to the resort where they will spend their ill gotten money on horribly overpriced and gold plated bars of soap, loaded drinks and prostitutes.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
A pistol with one bullet in the chamber should be given to each executive that drove these huge corp's under, and have them all rounded up in an empty room and tell them to do the honorable thing as soon as the lights are turned out.

I bet a shootout would occur even before the lights get turned out. It's in their nature. It's what they do.

ch33kym0use

Jul 17, 2005
Go and tell the police, get them to charge them with fraud and extortion. These people, are facist scumbags, making money off your hard work. Do not let them take advantage of you.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: wetech
Originally posted by: JS80
Eh, it was an independent insurance salesmen hoo rah rah circle jerk we sold whole life to idiots event
not the exec bailout celebration congress made it out to be. hooray for reporting accuracy.

Ever hear of sarcasm?

What sarcasm? It was a completely inaccurate characterization of what happened. The way congress was portraying it, the top 100 execs in the company went on a bender after getting the bailout. Turns out, it's independent contractors who sell AIG insurance that went on the retreat as a perk; you know, the insurance agent down the street who sold you your house insurance. Obama wants them fired. It's a little hard to fire people who don't actually work for you, they just sell your product.

I don't give a shit who WENT to the event, I care about who footed the bill for it.
This.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Find out who your Congressman is, find out if they voted for this bailout and fire them next time around.

That is all the power we as a people have right now......fire all the bums that wrote this check and just handed it over without question.

Oversight my ass.....DC is in need of an enema and only we the people can administer it.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Wheezer
Find out who your Congressman is, find out if they voted for this bailout and fire them next time around.

That is all the power we as a people have right now......fire all the bums that wrote this check and just handed it over without question.

Oversight my ass.....DC is in need of an enema and only we the people can administer it.

looks like someone grew some common sense and cancelled the Ritz Carlton retreat.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: robphelan
Originally posted by: Wheezer

looks like someone grew some common sense and cancelled the Ritz Carlton retreat.

after all the backlash the first party recieved that was a good idea.someone should have thought about that before the first party.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: dawp

It does not matter who went, it appears bad, and when you're asking the government for a handout, it doesn't show good judgement to spend cash like this. If they're hurting so bad that they have to ask the taxpayer for help, what are they doing spending $400k on something like this?

i'm guessing they ran a contest and whoever sold the most insurance would get a retreat. stuff like that happens all the time in sales. if spending $400K on retreats resulted in them selling an additional 4 million in premiums, then can you really say it was a bad idea?

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: dawp

i'm guessing they ran a contest and whoever sold the most insurance would get a retreat. stuff like that happens all the time in sales. if spending $400K on retreats resulted in them selling an additional 4 million in premiums, then can you really say it was a bad idea?

Yes, unequivocally, without batting an eye. The very second they announced bankruptcy, the instant that they took 85 billion dollars of taxpayer money, all the other promises they had beforehand are moot. If I'm working for a company and they go bankrupt, I don't keep working until my contract is up; I'm done. If your company requires an 85 billion dollar bailout package at the expense of taxpayers, you don't use that money to pay for lavish parties; that is a no-brainer.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
This is hilarious. So many responses but not yet one person figured out that the people sent on the retreat were from the LIFE INSURANCE division of the company and sales were up. There is no reason they should not be rewarded for doing a good job just because other areas of the organization were not.