AIDS threat over among heterosexuals

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I didnt realize we needed to spend money to realize this. Anyways, seems Doc De Cock did his homework and got it all figured out.

Sure is a shitty time to be a gay African though!

So as a public service announcement to the AT gay community. Please, even though you cant get the terminal disease I caught (kids) you still can catch a terminal disease. Wrap it up folks!

Click

Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over, report admits

A 25-year health campaign was misplaced outside the continent of Africa. But the disease still kills more than all wars and conflicts

By Jeremy Laurance
Sunday, 8 June 2008

A quarter of a century after the outbreak of Aids, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has accepted that the threat of a global heterosexual pandemic has disappeared.

In the first official admission that the universal prevention strategy promoted by the major Aids organisations may have been misdirected, Kevin de Cock, the head of the WHO's department of HIV/Aids said there will be no generalised epidemic of Aids in the heterosexual population outside Africa.

Dr De Cock, an epidemiologist who has spent much of his career leading the battle against the disease, said understanding of the threat posed by the virus had changed. Whereas once it was seen as a risk to populations everywhere, it was now recognised that, outside sub-Saharan Africa, it was confined to high-risk groups including men who have sex with men, injecting drug users, and sex workers and their clients.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Specop 007
I didnt realize we needed to spend money to realize this. Anyways, seems Doc De Cock did his homework and got it all figured out.

Sure is a shitty time to be a gay African though!

So as a public service announcement to the AT gay community. Please, even though you cant get the terminal disease I caught (kids) you still can catch a terminal disease. Wrap it up folks!

Click

Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over, report admits

A 25-year health campaign was misplaced outside the continent of Africa. But the disease still kills more than all wars and conflicts

By Jeremy Laurance
Sunday, 8 June 2008

A quarter of a century after the outbreak of Aids, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has accepted that the threat of a global heterosexual pandemic has disappeared.

In the first official admission that the universal prevention strategy promoted by the major Aids organisations may have been misdirected, Kevin de Cock, the head of the WHO's department of HIV/Aids said there will be no generalised epidemic of Aids in the heterosexual population outside Africa.

Dr De Cock, an epidemiologist who has spent much of his career leading the battle against the disease, said understanding of the threat posed by the virus had changed. Whereas once it was seen as a risk to populations everywhere, it was now recognised that, outside sub-Saharan Africa, it was confined to high-risk groups including men who have sex with men, injecting drug users, and sex workers and their clients.

I read it and all I can say is the doctor is wrong. There are countries in Africa that are almost decimated by the disease. Even the report admits that 25% of South Africa's population is infected with the disease. It is irresponsible to say the threat to heterosexuals is over, because frankly it is not if you just look at the statistics they posted on Russia and Washington DC.

If you are heterosexual and you have ever had the clap, genital warts or genital herpes, you are still at higher risk of HIV infection. Just ask Magic Johnson if heterosexuals can still get HIV.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Sounds like piss-poor logic. Assuming his premise that there is no longer the threat of a world pandemic among heterosexuals is correct, then wouldn't that show that the universal prevention strategy was absolutely correct, rather than misdirected as he suggests?

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Sounds like piss-poor logic. Assuming his premise that there is no longer the threat of a world pandemic among heterosexuals is correct, then wouldn't that show that the universal prevention strategy was absolutely correct, rather than misdirected as he suggests?

That is exactly what I was thinking.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: soonerproud

I read it and all I can say is the doctor is wrong.

How can you say that he's wrong? Dr. Cock surely knows a think or two about sex. I'll only believe that he's wrong if an Asian doctor named Dr. Wang or Dr. Hung Lo publish a report disagreeing with him.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
The transmission through heterosexual sex has always been tenuous at best, and overblown.

I've personally cared for hundreds of HIV + patients and not one of them has contracted the disease through heterosexual behavior.

I had a patient tell me spontaneously that he had Hepatitis C and that he contracted it through the use of dirty needles, i shook the guys hand and told him it was refreshing to have a patient be honest about how he contracted Hep C, everyone claims they caught the virus through heterosexual contact, another fake transmission vector.

PSA, if you have Hep C, there's a 99.99% chance you got it from IV drug abuse or anal sex..., we know you're lying.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
The transmission through heterosexual sex has always been tenuous at best, and overblown.

I've personally cared for hundreds of HIV + patients and not one of them has contracted the disease through heterosexual behavior.

I had a patient tell me spontaneously that he had Hepatitis C and that he contracted it through the use of dirty needles, i shook the guys hand and told him it was refreshing to have a patient be honest about how he contracted Hep C, everyone claims they caught the virus through heterosexual contact, another fake transmission vector.

PSA, if you have Hep C, there's a 99.99% chance you got it from IV drug abuse or anal sex..., we know you're lying.

Africa is proof you are wrong on this. The majority of Africans with HIV are heterosexual and contracted the disease through sex. Granted culture has a lot to do with why the infection rates are so much higher in Africa. However, there are certain pockets of the US population that are seeing the exact same patterns. It doesn't affect most communities in America but is very real.

Even the report cited Washington DC because of the large number of heterosexual people with HIV/AIDS.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
How can you say that he's wrong? Dr. Cock surely knows a think or two about sex. I'll only believe that he's wrong if an Asian doctor named Dr. Wang or Dr. Hung Lo publish a report disagreeing with him.

How can you say the threat to heterosexuals is over when there is an epidemic in many of our own cities in certain heterosexual populations, especially amongst Hispanics and African Americans? Just because the man is a doctor does not always make him right in his judgments.

Lets not forget that Russia is very close to having an epidemic of HIV/AIDS.

Wow.

You're oblivious.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Wow.

You're oblivious.

No, you're a racist who should not be taken seriously.

I find people throw around the racist term when they dont like the facts.

So, instead of calling people a racist and acting all childish why dont you try to refute the facts. Hell, you could even try blaming "Whitey" for the problems with blacks...errr....I'm sorry. "People of color".

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I read it and all I can say is the doctor is wrong. There are countries in Africa that are almost decimated by the disease. Even the report admits that 25% of South Africa's population is infected with the disease. It is irresponsible to say the threat to heterosexuals is over, because frankly it is not if you just look at the statistics they posted on Russia and Washington DC.

If you are heterosexual and you have ever had the clap, genital warts or genital herpes, you are still at higher risk of HIV infection. Just ask Magic Johnson if heterosexuals can still get HIV.

The doctor isn't claiming that the threat of AIDs isn't real in Africa. The exact quote is, "Whereas once it was seen as a risk to populations everywhere, it was now recognised that, outside sub-Saharan Africa, it was confined to high-risk groups including men who have sex with men, injecting drug users, and sex workers and their clients."

I don't know if this is correct or not, but the doctor put alot of caveats in there.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Queasy

The doctor isn't claiming that the threat of AIDs isn't real in Africa. The exact quote is, "Whereas once it was seen as a risk to populations everywhere, it was now recognised that, outside sub-Saharan Africa, it was confined to high-risk groups including men who have sex with men, injecting drug users, and sex workers and their clients."

I don't know if this is correct or not, but the doctor put alot of caveats in there.

That is precisely the problem I have with the report is all the caveats.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Wow...

The ignornace and bias in this post is amazing.

Here's a hint: If a disease can be spread through anal sex, it can be spread through vaginal sex. With HIV and HCV the ONLY difference is the frequency in which the tissues are damaged and a direct route to the blood stream is opened. Vaginal sex trasmissions in healthy, uninjured people are rare, but add injury or another STD like Herpes that exposes the virus to a direct route to the blood stream and vaginal sex trasmission rates skyrocket.

I've worked in HIV+ outreaches for nearly 20 years, and have known MANY people who contracted the disease through heterosexual sex. People with no history of IV drug use or homosexal contact.

Of course, you'll just claim they're lying...

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Wow.

You're oblivious.

lol, am I racist against people with AIDS? Maybe I'm racist against women or old people.

You're still oblivious. Read my post again and realize what a fool you are.

"This is your captain speaking. This joke is cruising at an altitude of 35,000 feet, and if you look out to the right you'll see soonerproud, who can't get obvious jokes. We'd also like welcome Dr. Cock, Dr. Wang, and Dr. Hung Lo to this flight. Welcome aboard"

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Specop 007
I find people throw around the racist term when they dont like the facts.

So, instead of calling people a racist and acting all childish why dont you try to refute the facts. Hell, you could even try blaming "Whitey" for the problems with blacks...errr....I'm sorry. "People of color".

Dude, you were the one that said if the doctor was Asian they were not to be trusted. I have HIV and know what the fuck I am talking about. So quit trying to push your racist crap as fact because it s not fact.

LOL!!

Oh I did did I??

Where? Shit pal, I'll paypal you 10 bucks if you can find where I said that.

And how did you get the Bug? Can I try to guess?

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Wow.

You're oblivious.

lol, am I racist against people with AIDS? Maybe I'm racist against women or old people.

"This is your captain speaking. This joke is cruising at an altitude of 35,000 feet, and if you look out to the right you'll see soonerproud, who can't get obvious jokes. We'd also like welcome Dr. Cock, Dr. Wang, and Dr. Hung Lo to this flight. Welcome aboard"

LMAO!

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007

Wow.

You're oblivious.

Ok, I deserve that. I went back and reread your original post. Sorry I called you a racist.