AIDS research done on cats: is it wrong?

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000
at ohio state university (where I would probably go if I can't get into any good colleges), scientists want to infect cats with a feline version of AIDS and then study it. they said that the symptoms between cats and human AIDS are the same. on the other hand, animal rights activists are saying the difference is too great and they should invest that money into education of preventing STD's.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/474013.asp

all of you lucky folks now get to hear my opinion: I say go ahead and continue with the research. I believe the research will provide valuable information about HIV and may even help in finding a cure. although the activist's idea that the money should go into education of aids, the cure or intensive research shouldn't be ignored. plus, millions of ppl are infected with AIDS, millions are starving, and millions are homeless, not to mention many other negative factors. and here are the animal rights activists bitching about how cruel it is to infect cats with AIDs. sure, it's cruel but which is more important? feline lives or human lives? they should get their priorities straight.

*puts on my flame-proof vest* opinions are welcomed.

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
I'm all for animal research...though the researchers should inflict as little pain
as possible on the animals.

I'm not for animal research when it's done by cosmetic companies like
Revlon who only want to see how their mascara affects eyeballs...that's stupid.

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000
I agree with pretty much everything you said as long as the research has some obvious benefit to humanity.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Given the seriousness of AIDS and the fact that, at the end of the day humans be ranking a wee bit higher on the evolutionary scale than cats, go with it! Sheesh, animal rights activists bother me greatly. Feed 'em all to hungry lions, I say.

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
Animal Research is a necessity in Medicinal studies. If you choose to get rid of it, you can forget all future advancements in medicine. WHho know what might be coming soon.. THe cure for cancer or even better.

Gatsby

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
It's been a while since I've been in biology but,

Didn't we develop the polio vacine by experimenting on animals?

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
As much as I love animals, especially cats, I also recognize the need for research. As long as it is done with as much sympathy as is possible for the animal and with as little cruely as possible, I think it is necessary. Of course I am also for fetal cell research and drug testing on humans whan necessary. Dont want another meaningless argument here, my opinions.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
no, it's wrong. cause cats are cute. animal research should be limited to the "ugly" animals.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I happen to know that Ohio has quite a few right wing Republican whackos who would be perfect replacement candidates.

Why harm a poor defenseless cat who probably never drilled an oil well in Alaska?

Cats are at the top of the animal kingdom, not man. God said: "Let there be Cats!" And Andrew Lloyd Webber was born. :p

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
chess9,

Are you like this all the time (anti everything "right-wing", "conservative", "republican")? Seems you go out of your way to emulate your liberal media by slanting your posts. The children on this board deserve better, myself included, deserve better from your generation.

But in this case I'm allowing you to get away with it as your third sentence was damn funny! ;)

lotust

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2000
tgillitzr LOL yes ;) MEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeOOOOOOOOWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......

4824guy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Working on, testing, and experimenting on animals is a nessasary way to find and do research for humans.

Otherwise we would have very little way to find out about these deseases and medicial solutions.

lotust

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2000
I just could never see this done to a dog, Evan a pitbull. Dogs have way to much personality. Cats hardy come when Called. and I hate when they stair at you.:|

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I see no reason to torture innocent cats to find a cure for a disease that can be prevented by people keeping their damn *censored* in their pants.......

Animal testing and research is needed for medical progress, and I'm all for it...provided the researchers do the utmost to be as humane as possible to the animals, and the work is directed towards something worthwhile.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
with all due sympathy for what aids victims go through, honestly, how do you get that disease? it is completely preventable. and don't give me the 'it could be a blood transfusion' because there probably hasn't been a case of that in about 8 years.

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000

<< Cats hardy come when Called. and I hate when they stair at you. >>

LOL...don't know why, but I find that hilarious.

lotust

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2000
tagej, I agree with you partly. But what about the innocent unborn children with AID's ? they should not have to die that way.

EDIT:EmperorNero, HE he he

ASK THE COMMUNITY