AHHHRRG!...ARTIFACTS that FREEZE my PC...GainWard 4200!!

DarkFudge2000

Dec 11, 2000
Folks...I've been thru already 2 Gainward 650 Ultra cards ( GeForce 4200ti ) from NewEgg.com and am getting the same problem in most of my games......After either a few seconds or minutes, my entire screen locks with some multicolored artifacts display that looks like an electronic curcuit board or a gridlike pattern of garbage!! I cant do anything and the am forced to reboot! I am so scared now cause I went thru about 7 different Nvidia drivers and none of them helped!

The games that freeze the quickest are Nascar 2003, Nascar Racing 2003 Sierra, NHL 2003, Madden 2003 to name a few.
What can i do....I tried just about everything on my XP system. and when I reinstall my old Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2, everything works 100% flawless. Can anyone steer me in the right direction...Im totally clueless on this one. Has anyone had any similar issues???

Athlon 1400
ESC K7S5A
512 Megs of Crucial 2100 Ram

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
The Gainward line of GF4 cards have had some problems.. you're better off RMAing for a different brand

Mockmaw

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
I'm having the same problems with my ti4200.. it's frustrating, and I think I'm past my RMA date.

DarkFudge2000

Dec 11, 2000
Dont let that stop you....On my first RMA with the card from NEWEGG.....I was able to RMA it 4 MONTHS after I got it...and just told them that I was instructed to keep trying new drivers!....They'll take it back. Just be persistant. They didnt give me any problems but this is getting annoying for me

Oct 27, 2002
Do you OC the processor/FSB at all? Just sounds like what happens whenever I try to do this and then run the UT2K3 benchmark...

Dead3ye

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2000
There is a widely known problem with the Gainward Ti4200 64MB cards. There's a sticky thread at overclockers.com in the video forum that deals with this problem specifically. It is referred as the Pink Screen of Death (PSOD).

Read this and see if this is your problem.

How'd I find this out? Some dude tried to offload one on me that had this problem. I'm in the process of getting a refund from him. He can deal with the RMA. The card he sold me even had a Crystal Orb and Ramsinks on it. It was still crap, even at stock speeds.

Gainward knows of this problem, I believe.