Ahhh, the joys of getting lost

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Didn't have much of a map with us; who needs it. The 495 (Long Island Expressway) clearly connects to I87. We'll take 87N up to the Tappan Zee Bridge, and follow it to 17.

Well, at least they connected on the tiny little pocketbook sized map we had. Ahhh, a tunnel. The 87 should be on the other side of the tunnel. <other side of the tunnel> Aaaghhh! Quick, pick one of the 6 turns. That one! It says "thru traffic."
*sigh* bad choice. I'm now in bumper to bumper traffic in the middle of Manhatten.

20 minutes later and a few bad flips of a coin (left or right?), we joined the traffic jam to get into the Holland tunnel. An hour later, we were in NJ, by which time (or rather, 3 minutes into the traffic jam), my wife had punched up directions on her cell phone. (Don't ask me why she didn't do directions sooner; she's the one who said "495 connects right to 87" while I was driving.)

But, I was left wondering... Just how often does a car with a goat in it drive down Park Avenue or Madison Avenue?

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
I got lost coming back from White Plains, NY. I live around Binghamton and so we were aiming for finding 17 but somehow ended up on 87 (Do not ask how, it was very late) going to Albany. That was a fun extra 100 miles...

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i'm a highway historian so it's impossible for me to get lost here anymore. it's good but getting lost sometimes is kind of fun. :p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You tried to go directly from I-495 to the Major Deegan? :D

Next time try the Cross Island Pkwy & either take the Throgs Neck bridge to the Cross Bronx or continue on to the Triborough & hit I-87 north directly.... also depending on how far north you are going on 87 you could take the Whitestone to the Hutchinson river Pkwy to the Cross-county which hits 87 in Yonkers.

Edit:

Originally posted by: DrPizza

But, I was left wondering... Just how often does a car with a goat in it drive down Park Avenue or Madison Avenue?

Very likely more often then you think!

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
i'm a highway historian so it's impossible for me to get lost here anymore. it's good but getting lost sometimes is kind of fun. :p

I agree. My wife was a wreck. She was trying to think of anyone she could call for directions. I just drove around, somewhat aimlessly, just enjoying myself and enjoying the scenery (to a degree). It's been a long time since I was last in any part of NYC (except, of course, for the ride out to L.I.) It'll probably be a long time before I'm eager to deal with that many people again, unless of course, there's a decent chance that I'll find Cash Cab. :p

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
The 495 (Long Island Expressway) clearly connects to I87. We'll take 87N up to the Tappan Zee Bridge, and follow it to 17.

Technically it does... via the 278 - also known around here as the BQE

Take exit 17 off the LIE, which is the BQE.. take the BQE over the Triboro.. and that will put you right onto 87- The Major Deegan

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Well, having looked at a map today, I can now see how everything actually connects together. It'd be nice if they had the route numbers instead of names of highways, at least in that 1 location where I had all of 1 second to react and choose a route (coming out of the 495 tunnel into Manhatten, whatever the name of that tunnel is.)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Well, having looked at a map today, I can now see how everything actually connects together. It'd be nice if they had the route numbers instead of names of highways, at least in that 1 location where I had all of 1 second to react and choose a route (coming out of the 495 tunnel into Manhatten, whatever the name of that tunnel is.)

Its called the Midtown tunnel & at that point you needed to take the FDR drive North to the 3rd Avenue or Triborough bridge (I don't recall if theres a direct access ramp from the tunnel to the NB FDR) ... I-87 doesn't come close to directly connecting to the LIE & in fact ends at the Bruckner Expressway in the South Bronx.

Whatever map or direction service sent you that way, I suggest not ever using it again.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
i used to drive around and get lost on purpose... then turn the gps on and find my way home. led me to some very interesting places :)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
...and here I was thinking you were dropping me off a present. Is it still too late for that turkey? :) How about the ham? Heck, might as well grab some beer & cider in Ithaca on your next trip down. :)

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Heheh, reminds me of when our family went for a weekend vacation to montauk a long time ago. Managed to get there and spend the day, drove around trying to find a hotel, couldn't find one, then got lost trying to get home ( poughkeepsie area ). I think we drove through connecticut for some reason.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
lol!

the first time I drove into NYC was when I moved here

big ass U-haul, 2 dogs ... one of them sick ... and driving thru midtown at rush hour

wanted to end myself