Ahh! What's up with my short term memory!!??!

Mar 15, 2003
Seriously, I usually have an awesome memory but lately my short term memory has been acting up.. Like yesterday I bought a train ticket from a vending machine and when I got into the train 5 min later I had no idea where I put it.. What's going on? I'm too young for anything serious, I think.. My diet HAS change dramatically.. I was on atkins but recently quit and change to a very high fiber (low processed carbs) diet... I'm not eating much protein (about a pound of chicken a day) so could this have something to do with it? I'm also taking a few medications/supplements (items used prior to memory lapse marked with a *):

-Ritalin* - to control my ADD.. Had add all my life but never had bad memory.. I think it's working extremely well for me.. used it for about 3 months and had memory issues for less than 2 weeks.. don't think it's connected

-Ginkgo biloba - taking it specifically to sharpen my memory

-St. John's wort - just started taking it to calm myself down a little

-potassium* - was taking it while on atkins and have reduced my intake

-chromium* - ditto with potassium.. now I hardly take it at all

-multivitamin*

- not really medicine but i drink about 3 oz. of wine a day to help the ol' heart out..

I drink about 2/3 of a gallon of water a day if not more.... I thought my bad memory was due to dehydration because I've had serious nose bleeds as well.. I went to an ENT and he said it was due to the humidity lately and dehydration (my regular doctor tested and assured me that I don't have a brain tumor).. I'm going to my shrink today so will talk to him about the memory issues.. I just really wonder if this is medical or nutritional in nature..

Forgot to mention - i'm 22 and have no history of mental issues in my family..

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
what would be really funny if you reposted this in an hour... and pretend you didnt post this at all :)

the ultimate parody thread :D

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
you sound like you have some major issues outside of just your memory problem. Maybe you've smoked a little too much of the wacky weed?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: guyver01
what would be really funny if you reposted this in an hour... and pretend you didnt post this at all :)

the ultimate parody thread :D

lol

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
My short term memory is horrible too... Used to smoke a lot but not that much anymore, like once a week, maybe twice. I've always been a forgetful person though.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What was the question again?

Oh yeah I almost forgot to ask, could you repeat the question?

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seriously, you are on a computer forum, I'm a puter nerd, the best I could tell you is to stop overclocking your brain, if you are, and to check your memory timings, failling that, you probably need a frontal lobotomy and then put it back again, you know reseat the memory modules, in case dust got in there and it's a bad connection or something.

I almost forgot what i was getting at....

Oh yeah...seek medical advice on a medical board or a real live doc, and if they don't help try a 2nd opinion, and good luck with whatever problem you said you had, tho I can't remember what it was....was it shortness of breath? no no that wasn't it....short attention span? Something about short I can't quite remember...