Ahh hell, I have a lot of black widows in my garage.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Firebot
I'm so glad I live in Canada where I only have to worry about the odd bear and a swarm of black squirrels.

we can send bulk of black widows in mail if you want.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
They say to keep spiders around because they kill all the other insects. I know it prob doesn't apply for black widows or brown recluses, but wouldn't spiders attract even more spiders even if they are a different species ?

RAID them all in my opinion.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Bug bomb/fogger.

I just did my whole house and it works.

I didn't have BW's but just these little ones all over and some other misc insects.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: rh71
They say to keep spiders around because they kill all the other insects. I know it prob doesn't apply for black widows or brown recluses, but wouldn't spiders attract even more spiders even if they are a different species ?

RAID them all in my opinion.

I doubt it works in favor of those taking up residence near black widows. I found several dead spiders in the web of the black widow.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just wanted to say thanks everyone, for the humorous and serious replies. I think I will go ahead and just bomb the place for a start. I'll follow-up with spraying and the adhesive pads in key areas.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I don't worry about them in my garage. As long as they aren't in my house or anything. I'm pretty sure they can't kill or maim a healthy adult anyway. Live and let live I say.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Descartes
I was getting the bike out of the garage yesterday, and I noticed something distinctly black in the corner. Having grown up in the southwest, spiders like the brown recluse and black widow are very familiar. I immediately recognized it to be a BW, and a quick search around the area found half a dozen more or so. I could probably find more, but I'd rather not.

We have a lot of spiders around the yard, and I generally leave them alone. Most are wolf spiders and various species of orb weaver (I think).

So, any tips?

Get a cat

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Descartes
I was getting the bike out of the garage yesterday, and I noticed something distinctly black in the corner. Having grown up in the southwest, spiders like the brown recluse and black widow are very familiar. I immediately recognized it to be a BW, and a quick search around the area found half a dozen more or so. I could probably find more, but I'd rather not.

We have a lot of spiders around the yard, and I generally leave them alone. Most are wolf spiders and various species of orb weaver (I think).

So, any tips?

Get a cat

I don't think cats are effective at BW eradication. Wouldn't they run risks of being bit as well?

Anyway, I used to have two cats (they're now with my mother). When I had the problem with the brown recluse, they would always identify the spider but never actually touch it. They'd just run circles around it. I found this odd since one of the cats was especially enthusiastic about destroying the webs of other spiders, eating them, etc.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Haven't the black widows suffered enough already? :)

George Bush doesn't care about Black Widows.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Juno
Originally posted by: Firebot
I'm so glad I live in Canada where I only have to worry about the odd bear and a swarm of black squirrels.

we can send bulk of black widows in mail if you want.

10lbs of black widows in alternator sized package ? now that IS bulk spiders :p

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
A tactical firing of Installation 04 should eliminate the local infestation

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I would fog that garage every day for a week.

The Winner!

For places like a garage where I can keep animals and such out, I will go and buy one of those three-packs of bug foggers and just set off all three foggers in the garage at once. It's something like triple the recommended amount of poison, but if you just don't go into the garage for a couple days it's fine. And very effective at killing the spiders in the garage.

ZV

EDIT: Do make sure that you do not have any potential ignition sources in the garage if you do this. Remember that things like gas water heaters will have an open pilot flame and the the bug fog is typically flammable.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I can send you some of my brown recluse spiders to you and you have the two duke it out to see who is the most bad ass spider :D

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
While on this topic...

Do any long-lasting sprays work on spiders? I have some Ortho "Home Defense" indoor/outdoor spray and I like it pretty well. Spray it along the garage walls and it kills any ants, centipedes, etc for a good 6-7 months. But it apparently doesn't work like that on spiders. The instructions say that to kill spiders, you have to spray them directly. This works but it kind of defeats the purpose. Do most sprays have this limitation?