Ahh hell, I have a lot of black widows in my garage.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was getting the bike out of the garage yesterday, and I noticed something distinctly black in the corner. Having grown up in the southwest, spiders like the brown recluse and black widow are very familiar. I immediately recognized it to be a BW, and a quick search around the area found half a dozen more or so. I could probably find more, but I'd rather not.

We have a lot of spiders around the yard, and I generally leave them alone. Most are wolf spiders and various species of orb weaver (I think).

So, any tips?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Descartes
Ahh hell, I have a lot of black widows in my garage.

Throw a couple of bibles outside the garage door

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Weather is changing they will be gone soon, but yup bug spray the hell out of them.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
We have a bunch of them over where I reside too. And tons of brown widows.
I love animals and respect insect life, but black widows creep me out. So I kill every one I see. And I actively look for egg sacks to crush. No baby widows, no black/brown widows. But they are just part of the area.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Find a sacrifice for your new Black Widow Overlords. Small children do nicely

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
We have a bunch of them over where I reside too. And tons of brown widows.
I love animals and respect insect life, but black widows creep me out. So I kill every one I see. And I actively look for egg sacks to crush. No baby widows, no black/brown widows. But they are just part of the area.

Yeah, I'm going to have to start doing the same. I'm hoping this is just an isolated situation, because I haven't seen them anywhere else. It's a new house, so the garage sat empty for a few months before everything was finished and we moved in, so I'm hoping they'll find somewhere else to go. I'll kill them in the meantime though.

The only other spider that creeps me out more is the brown recluse. I hate those things.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Spray.

And do what we did...look for their webs in the day, which look like they are from a brain damaged spider with ADD (a complete mess, but actually are strong and effective as heck.) Then go out at night with a flashlight, where you'll probably find them smack in the middle, and then kill them.

CravenTacos

Aug 15, 2005
my favorite thing to do to spiders is spray them with hairspray. it hold them in place and suffocates them. plus it lights on fire if you like added drama

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
black widows as in black wives of dead husbands or syringers' several wives? :confused::p

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
I'm so glad I live in Canada where I only have to worry about the odd bear and a swarm of black squirrels.