AGP POLL: X800XT AIW Vs X850PRO

Dr J

Aug 3, 2006
If you had a choice, which would you choose and why?

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=58&card2=43#

With the ATI trade-up-program, the AIW is $10 cheaper than the 850, but I lose my old 9600 pro.

The 850, with a bios upgrade, can potentially become an 850XT or XT PE (but the bios upgrade doesn't seem to universally apply, depending on how the card is locked). Also, the 850 has the newer chip and the added, second slot cooling design (nice in that it dumps the heat out the rear of the case, but is potentially noiser).

The AIW has the obvious advantage of a TV and FM radio tuner. But, I have a big screen TV in a separate room and all the radio stations I listen to are streamed.

Given all this, how would you choose and why?

thanks,

John

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
You don't have a poll bro. But I already went through this thought process, and decided on the X800XT (here tomorrow :D). mWave has it for $152. Check around.

Dr J

Aug 3, 2006
PC Surgeon,

what made you go the AIW route and how do you like it?

John

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
ATI.com really doesn't have the card in stock despite what the online store says. It's on back order and they don't expect to get some in until the end of the month. Mwave, buy.com and most others are out of stock as well.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Well, at stock speeds, the AIW is going to be faster, mainly because it's a 16-pipe card whereas the 850pro is a 12-pipe version. Added to that is the fact that some 850 pros cannot be modded at all (it's somewhat of a crapshoot as to whether you get a moddable one or not). And since it has the added TV functions (which you may or may not use) and it's cheaper to boot, it seems like an open-and-shut case for the AIW.

Lastly, even if you can mod the 850 into an XT or XT PE, it will only be a few % faster than the AIW. Not worth the risk, IMO.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Dr J
PC Surgeon,

what made you go the AIW route and how do you like it?

John

Price and it *was* available. 16 pipes, enough to play games for a while. No need to flash BIOS (which I dont know much about). And the ability to record shows when I'm not here (work). Never miss a game :D How do I like it? I don't know yet, it should be here by 2pm today, so I'll post back later. Can't go wrong with this one bro ;)

hmorphone

Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Mloot
Well, at stock speeds, the AIW is going to be faster, mainly because it's a 16-pipe card whereas the 850pro is a 12-pipe version. Added to that is the fact that some 850 pros cannot be modded at all (it's somewhat of a crapshoot as to whether you get a moddable one or not). And since it has the added TV functions (which you may or may not use) and it's cheaper to boot, it seems like an open-and-shut case for the AIW.

Lastly, even if you can mod the 850 into an XT or XT PE, it will only be a few % faster than the AIW. Not worth the risk, IMO.

:thumbsup:

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Do I like it? Well if you can game without lag, loss, or choke, I think you would be happy too! I am very happy with my purchase.

Topper

Feb 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Sonikku
ATI.com really doesn't have the card in stock despite what the online store says. It's on back order and they don't expect to get some in until the end of the month. Mwave, buy.com and most others are out of stock as well.

Buy.com has them back in stock.

$159 is a pretty good price. Almost as good as trade in at ATI if you have a 10% coupon.

Dr J

Aug 3, 2006
Thank you all,

for your responses, reasonings, observations and sage advice.

I think I will phone ATI tomorrow and make the switch.

Again, thank you!

John

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004

With the ATI trade-up-program, the AIW is $10 cheaper than the 850, but I lose my old 9600 pro.

The 850, with a bios upgrade, can potentially become an 850XT or XT PE (but the bios upgrade doesn't seem to universally apply, depending on how the card is locked). Also, the 850 has the newer chip and the added, second slot cooling design (nice in that it dumps the heat out the rear of the case, but is potentially noiser).

The AIW has the obvious advantage of a TV and FM radio tuner. But, I have a big screen TV in a separate room and all the radio stations I listen to are streamed.

thanks,

John

why send in your 9600 pro? cant you send in something worthless like a geforce 2 that u can grab from a friend or somehting for like $5?

Topper

Feb 21, 2005
Originally posted by: tfcmasta97

thanks,

John

why send in your 9600 pro? cant you send in something worthless like a geforce 2 that u can grab from a friend or somehting for like $5?

/agreed

I'd find something no one needs or is using for $5 and send that to them and resell the 9600 to recoup a few dollars back.

Dr J

Aug 3, 2006
Hello all,

it doesn't matter that's it out of stock, as I understand they will have them in by the end of the month ... no hurry.

And, yes, I have an old ATI card from an old 200 mhz, FicPA2007 machine; I'm sure it would suffice.

Not sure what I'd get for the 9600Pro, but, I guess ebay would be the place to sell it.

thanks again,

John

Dr J

Aug 3, 2006
Again, thank you all !

I just finished making the switch to the X800 XT AIW ! It'll be a couple of weeks before I receive it, but I'm in no hurry.

Gee, what a deal.

Again, thanks,

John

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Just ordered it from buy.com. Because I cancelled my first order, I was no longer eligible for the $10 off coupon. Sucks. At least the shipping is good. The shipping I paid for said 5-6 business days.

Tracking:

Ship date
Aug 16, 2006

Estimated delivery
Aug 17, 2006

Topper

Feb 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Sonikku
Just ordered it from buy.com. Because I cancelled my first order, I was no longer eligible for the $10 off coupon. Sucks. At least the shipping is good. The shipping I paid for said 5-6 business days.

Tracking:

Ship date
Aug 16, 2006

Estimated delivery
Aug 17, 2006

One of the best things about buying from buy.com or newegg is their shipping. Even if you order with only free shipping that says 5-7 days you will usually see it within a day or two.

Sorry you lost out on your coupon but I thought there was also another $10 off $150 in computers/electronics out there. Maybe worth tracking down and trying to get your order adjusted. That coupon was for all customers not just new one's.

Oh and gratz on your new card. :)

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Thanks, and this is better then newegg. With newegg I pay for shipping and get it in about 4 days with 3 day shipping. With Buy.com, I ordered today and am getting it tomorrow. And it's free too.

Sorry egg, you just got one upped.