AGP cards NOT decreasing in price--increasing shortage?

Oct 30, 2004
Does anyone else think that the AGP cards are NOT decreasing in price, at least not as rapidly as they should, but that instead we might soon see a shortage?

Take NewEgg for example. It seems that they are barely restocking their selection of AGP cards. Is it possible that we might soon see a shortage of AGP cards and thus price increases similar to how the Radeon 9800 Pros retained insane prices ($200) for a while (up to less than one year ago)?

-------------------

Added 9/20: Newegg's stock of AGP 6800 GT's is almost completely depleted, as well as that of Zip Zoom Fly's. Did the video card manufacturers just stop producing the 6800 GT in AGP ?

ZobarStyl

Mar 3, 2004
Supply and demand. They aren't making any more of them (neither ATi nor nV is releasing their newest gen in AGP) and so the supply is slowly dwindling, but not quite as fast as the demand is, since a few people refuse to upgrade. What did you expect, everyone (GPU makers, OEM's, Mobo manufacturers) is trying to make this a fast transition to PCI-E; no one is building new AGP products, except transition products like that ASRock mobo.

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
well if they keep producing AGP products every new generation AGP will never die out. people will continue buying better AGP cards!! might as well stop it once and for all.

LostTime77

Aug 18, 2005
You had better get an agp part now if anyone is planning on getting one, simply because I read ATI completely stopped shipping AGP forms of their x800 series cards. This, in the next year or two, will probably cause the death of AGP for those of us who like to upgrade every once in awhile. ATI also has no intention of bringing a single new R520/RV515,530 out in AGP form, but they will if the demand is good. The only problem is that the simple fact is that most people who upgraded in the last year most likely got all PCIE boards, therefore no more demand for AGP, I mean if you go spend 1 grand on a new system, and are going with an athlon 64 for gaming, who the heck is going to go AGP? The death of AGP as we know it! THE DEATH I SAY!

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The death of AGP as we know it! THE DEATH I SAY!

If true that's a bummer for me :(

Looks like the first year I'll have to skip the annual upgrade of my vid card. Don't see how I can afford a new CPU, mobo & (near) top-of-the-line vid card all at once.

Fern

Bartokomus

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2002
Fern

Plans from manufacturers are one thing; abandoning/blocking millions of users from upgrading is another...

I think you'll get your AGP part this year.

jb20thae

Jul 26, 2005
Think of the software makers who drive the demand for better hardware... if they put out a game that only runs well on new/next gen cards that are only available in pci-e, that would be like them asking users to pay $500 for their game (software, cpu, mobo, gfx card, ram?). Seems like it could hamper sales.

LostTime77

Aug 18, 2005
Another idea that could be thrown out in the air is that the next gen R520 cards might be limited by AGP version because its going to be so fast.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
ATi apparently has ended the life of the X800 AGP. The X700 will be the fastest AGP card soon. No plans of ATi and NV for releasing an AGP part of their next gen. (info from techpowerup regarding R520).

Whats worse is, PCi-express 2 .. yes 2 is already being prepared to make entrance.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
ATi apparently has ended the life of the X800 AGP. The X700 will be the fastest AGP card soon. No plans of ATi and NV for releasing an AGP part of their next gen. (info from techpowerup regarding R520).

Whats worse is, PCi-express 2 .. yes 2 is already being prepared to make entrance.

Guess they decided that the best way to make money is to make sure that today's technology becomes obsolete at a faster and faster rate.

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern

Looks like the first year I'll have to skip the annual upgrade of my vid card. Don't see how I can afford a new CPU, mobo & (near) top-of-the-line vid card all at once.

Fern

Text
Enjoy ;)

superfly27

Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern

In your case, your CPU is holding you back. I'd just sell the 6800 GT while you can get a good price for it on eBay then turn around and get a PCI-E motherboard and PCI-E card. But even a Venice 3000+ is faster than that 2600+.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Bah!

There are a lot of good AGP s939 mobos still!

Neo2 Platinum, or that new AsRock Uli chipset mobo that has both AGP & PCI.

Just because AGP is becoming less common doesn't mean you have to sell your card...

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005

theres not going to be a big difference between the 2. 2 is just basically a better version of 1.

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005

I know nvidia said that the 7800's would not have an agp version. But didnt ATI say that the R520 would eventually have an agp version?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Nextman916

I know nvidia said that the 7800's would not have an agp version. But didnt ATI say that the R520 would eventually have an agp version?

yes . . . and nVidia is waiting to see if there is enough "demand" for an agp 7800 ;)
[they have twice as much $$$ to make (potentially) with the SLI boards]

jevans64

Feb 10, 2004
I will be sticking with AGP/PCI until there are several PCIe 1x choices for TV tuners, Sound Cards, DV capture cards, Video Switcher cards, etc. I have a $4000 Video Toaster card that I am not going to throw away just to have PCIe. The latest rumor is that ATi WILL NOT make the x1800, x1600, x1300 in AGP, so there is no need for nVidia to have an AGP 7800. It WOULD be nice to have ONE more boost for AGP though.

superfly27

Jun 25, 2005
Originally posted by: n7
Bah!

There are a lot of good AGP s939 mobos still!

Neo2 Platinum, or that new AsRock Uli chipset mobo that has both AGP & PCI.

Just because AGP is becoming less common doesn't mean you have to sell your card...

Nah, I just mean when he decides to upgrade his video card again next year.

Oct 30, 2004

Newegg's stock of AGP 6800 GT's is almost completely depleted, as well as that of Zip Zoom Fly's. Did the video card manufacturers just stop producing the 6800 GT in AGP ?

coomar

Banned
Apr 4, 2005
the videocard manufactors have pretty much stopped making 6800 series cards, the 7800 vanilla will replace the 6800gt

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: coomar
the videocard manufactors have pretty much stopped making 6800 series cards, the 7800 vanilla will replace the 6800gt

So, if you want a 16 pipe AGP card, better hurry before they're all gone?

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: coomar

So, if you want a 16 pipe AGP card, better hurry before they're all gone?

LOL, I just noticed it, but they're really almost gone! Right now ZZF only has 13 Leadteks left and 11 XFX.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: jevans64
I will be sticking with AGP/PCI until there are several PCIe 1x choices for TV tuners, Sound Cards, DV capture cards, Video Switcher cards, etc. I have a $4000 Video Toaster card that I am not going to throw away just to have PCIe. The latest rumor is that ATi WILL NOT make the x1800, x1600, x1300 in AGP, so there is no need for nVidia to have an AGP 7800. It WOULD be nice to have ONE more boost for AGP though.

You know, most PCIe motherboards still have 2 or 3 normal PCI slots, right? You require more?