AGP Card for Hardware Assisted HD Video Playback

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Athlon 2800XP
AOpen AK79D nForce2
2GB Geil DDR

I'll be building a new machine in the near future the plan is to rebuild my current machine into a HTPC. What I'd like to know is if it's possible to get good hardware assisted HD video play back in a AGP card say for Blue Ray movies. Right now 720P isn't a problem but 1080P is beyond what my 2800XP can handle on its own. Ideas?

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
The HD 2000 series has been released for AGP. The HD 3850 AGP is coming out soon too, but that's expensive since you are replacing this computer.

I recommend the HD 2600xt.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
A Radeon HD 3850 have pretty much the same video processor used on the HD 2600 series, so the only performance improvement will be only on games, but it's pointless.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought the HD video processing scaled pretty linearly with GPU clockspeed? If the 2600 is enough though I'll just go that route.

On a slightly off topic question would it be possible to get playable FPS in CoD4 with a new GPU or is my 2800XP going to be holding me back?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Operandi
I thought the HD video processing scaled pretty linearly with GPU clockspeed? If the 2600 is enough though I'll just go that route.

On a slightly off topic question would it be possible to get playable FPS in CoD4 with a new GPU or is my 2800XP going to be holding me back?

2800XP will hold you back, needs at least an A64 / P4 @ 3200/3.2Ghz for moderate performance at 1024x768.

2600 Pro will do you nicely, or even a 2400XT.

I hate to say it, but you should really look at a cheap X2 AM2 mobo/chip/ram. You can put a combo together for $100ish. Will be worlds faster than what you're with now. XP2800 is ~5 years old :(

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Arkaign

2800XP will hold you back, needs at least an A64 / P4 @ 3200/3.2Ghz for moderate performance at 1024x768.

I hate to say it, but you should really look at a cheap X2 AM2 mobo/chip/ram. You can put a combo together for $100ish. Will be worlds faster than what you're with now. XP2800 is ~5 years old :(

Well the thing is I'll be building a new fairly high-end machine for gaming and and other general use but it probably won't be for another month or so. When I do get around to building the new machine I'll be converting my current machine to HTPC duty. My thinking was the AGP upgrade might allow me to play some CoD4 before the new build.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Well the thing is I'll be building a new fairly high-end machine for gaming and and other general use but it probably won't be for another month or so. When I do get around to building the new machine I'll be converting my current machine to HTPC duty. My thinking was the AGP upgrade might allow me to play some CoD4 before the new build.

You could try, but it wouldn't be very satisfactory. Better probably to save the extra $$, go with the minimum necessary for decent HD, and use the extra $$ for your new box.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You could try, but it wouldn't be very satisfactory. Better probably to save the extra $$, go with the minimum necessary for decent HD, and use the extra $$ for your new box.

That is good advice, and probably what I'll do.

I'm guess I'm just a bit jealous seeing all my friends playing CoD4 and Bioshock. If I would have known all these great games were right around the corner I wouldn't have blown my disposable wad on audio gear and done an PC upgrade instead.

Are there any benchmarks out tests out there in regards to HD acceleration? Or am I safe in assuming a 2600 series card will be fine?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
This is for you :

http://www.pcworld.com/printab...,140985/printable.html

Notice, an AMD64 underclocked to 1.2Ghz (probable equal or less than your XP2800+), is adequate to playback HD-DVDs on PowerDVD with mostly good results from bargain cards.

Judging from the article, an 8400GS would suffice for 1080p provided you just let go of all gaming aspirations (maybe WoW/Counterstrike would be passable?) for the old box.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ah, yes nice link.

According to that I'm good. I'm running a x800GTO right now so I'll probably get something that is a bit faster for 3D. Maybe something that can be used with Folding@Home since as a HTPC it will be always on. Also do any of these AGP cards have HDMI outs? If they did that would be a big help in simplifying my digital audio situation.

Ashen Shugar

Nov 3, 1999
Ah, yes nice link.

According to that I'm good. I'm running a x800GTO right now so I'll probably get something that is a bit faster for 3D. Maybe something that can be used with Folding@Home since as a HTPC it will be always on. Also do any of these AGP cards have HDMI outs? If they did that would be a big help in simplifying my digital audio situation.

I am in a similar situation with an AGP X800XT-PE + Northwood P4 3.4 GHz CPU and just ordered the HIS HD2600XT AGP for $110 AR. Seems like it should be just as good if not better for gaming (can finally play Bioshock) and should help greatly with HDDVD and Bluray playback. It also has HDMI out and comes with inbuilt HD audio supporting 5.1 SPDIF and 2.0 PCM digital audio. It does have some driver issues but they're supposed to have been solved with the 8.1 hotfix.

I guess I'll find out more once I get the card but hopefully it should work out fine.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ashen Shugar
Ah, yes nice link.

I am in a similar situation with an AGP X800XT-PE + Northwood P4 3.4 GHz CPU and just ordered the HIS HD2600XT AGP for $110 AR. Seems like it should be just as good if not better for gaming (can finally play Bioshock) and should help greatly with HDDVD and Bluray playback. It also has HDMI out and comes with inbuilt HD audio supporting 5.1 SPDIF and 2.0 PCM digital audio. It does have some driver issues but they're supposed to have been solved with the 8.1 hotfix.

I guess I'll find out more once I get the card but hopefully it should work out fine.

Looks like the HDMI out is through an DVI adapter. I don't think that passes an audio signal but maybe I'm wrong?

Ashen Shugar

Nov 3, 1999
From what I've read, ATI supports HDMI audio out in the HD2000 and HD3000 series as long as you use the supplied DVI to HDMI adapter. Adapters made by someone else would work with video but probably won't pass through audio.

The HIS card I referenced above does come with that adapter, so it should work fine and the product website also mentions this.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like your right. The cooling solution looks a little weak on that particular card though.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
That HIS 2600XT is actually the only 2000 series AGP which is capable of HDMI audio, which is nice given a receiver with such input and decode of HD formats.

If you don't need that and/or the XT is overkill for the CPU, then a 2600 Pro is good. I would not recommend a 2400 as that has a cut down core which isn't quite on par for video.

Ashen Shugar

Nov 3, 1999
Looks like your right. The cooling solution looks a little weak on that particular card though.

Yeah, its surprisingly small compared to the other cards. Anyway the price was quite good for a 512MB XT version and I'll see how it performs once the card arrives. If needed, I could always get the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and make it fanless as well.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ashen Shugar

Yeah, its surprisingly small compared to the other cards. Anyway the price was quite good for a 512MB XT version and I'll see how it performs once the card arrives. If needed, I could always get the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 and make it fanless as well.

I'm sure the fan has to be working pretty hard given the small size of the heatsink. A VF-700 would also be a good option, the lowest fan speed shouldn't have any problems cooling a GPU like the 2600.

Be sure to report back when you get the card up and running.