AGP 2X vs. 4X COMPARISON WITH NEW ATI AND NVIDIA CARDS???

SuperStar

Mar 30, 2000
are the new geforce and ati vid cards saturating the agp 4x bandwidth at all? or is there still a nominal difference between 2x and 4x? reason i ask is because i need to buy a new motherboard but of an older model since i stll have a pentium3. i plan on getting one of the new geforce4 cards which go up to agp 4x but i'm wondering on what motherboard to get...something that supports agp 4x or not. if there is still no performance increase i'd rather get a board without 4x.

Crapgame

Sep 22, 2001
I beleave and correct me if I'm wrong that the limiting factor between AGP 2x-4x is your RAM and motherboard chipset speed. The AGP transfer of textures from you motherboards slower RAM through the chipset is what causes AGP 4x to only marginaly be faster than 2x not the videocard.......at least thats how I understood it?

SuperStar

Mar 30, 2000
So you're saying that the first motherboards that implemented AGP4x had slower chipsets and RAM, therefore benchmarks showed it to be only marginally faster than 2x? So then new current motherboards with 4x support would actually show a better performance increase because of better chipsets and DDR RAM?

I've tried to look for articles concerning this topic but to no avail. I'm a little surprised no one has bothered to test and publish such an article.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
AGP x4 should be starting to show a difference in some of today's polygon heavy games in conjuction with the faster RAM and chipsets available. It'll be even more important for the next generation of games like Doom3 and Unreal2.

I'm a little surprised no one has bothered to test and publish such an article.
There have been some tests done but they were flawed because they were done in an incorrect way and they didn't test what they should have been testing.