News Age of Wonders taking the Alpha Centuari route for the next game.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Seems weird. I didn't particularly like AoW3 anyway. They gutted a lot of what made the original games fun, like flying units being able to go anywhere and avoid direct aggression from ground melee. Plus they nerfed hero units again. If it's the same dev crew from AoW3 then I am skeptical of whether it will be good. Maybe they just need a blank slate to make a fun game.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Currently, I don't see how this game is any different from Warhammer: Gladius, Civilization, Warlock or any of these other clones. The whole space theme on top of the classic Civ formula has already been done several times, so they need to do a really good job to differentiate themselves in any way.

Also, I think the timing is horribad. August? Really? That's when it's still sweltering hot, but work is picking up regardless, people are coming back from vacations, and the load is overbearing.

If you are younger, that when you need to be preparing for the school term/already started the new term - not be playing games. Don't get me wrong, I played... When I should have been studying. But I paid for it dearly. So it's just not wise to do things like me.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The whole space theme on top of the classic Civ formula has already been done several times, so they need to do a really good job to differentiate themselves in any way.

Age of Wonders has never been very Civ-like. It's more like the Warlords series, albeit with enhanced battles and more hero options.

A new crew of developers rescued the IP from oblivion a few years back when they released Age of Wonders III. Some stuff they got right, and some stuff they got horribly wrong. I still miss the way the first game played, to be perfectly honest.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Age of Wonders has never been very Civ-like. It's more like the Warlords series, albeit with enhanced battles and more hero options.

A new crew of developers rescued the IP from oblivion a few years back when they released Age of Wonders III. Some stuff they got right, and some stuff they got horribly wrong. I still miss the way the first game played, to be perfectly honest.

The reason I mentioned Civ is because the trailer for the new AoW looks like it. I did play AoW 1 and 2, but never tried 3. I thought the graphics were horrible, even for their time, and the game-play was extremely difficult. (I was coming from Heroes of Might and Magic III at the time)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Age of Wonders 2 was kinda difficult (the first one, not so much). Graphics weren't that great.