Age of Empires II HD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Thanks for the screen. FYI the link is showing up broken here, but if you copy and paste it to a browser tab it displays fine.

Doesn't look a lot better, but certainly doesn't look any worse. I'm thinking this is probably worth it just to get the game into my Steam lib.

The only graphics that got updated are the water and building fires as far as I know. The main benefit is that you can see a lot more now, it basically has the widescreen mod built in. Also they've upped the max pop limit to 500.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'd say it's worth it just for the built in multiplayer and Steam Workshop support. I'll post a screen of what it looks like on my 1080P monitor:

test.png

Can you post that image again? I'm not getting it.

How does it play at 1920x1080? Isn't everything too small?

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
The only graphics that got updated are the water and building fires as far as I know. The main benefit is that you can see a lot more now, it basically has the widescreen mod built in. Also they've upped the max pop limit to 500.

Awesome, that will make for some huge sprawling civs.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
GFX where changed from 16 bit to 32, works a lot better than trying to play the original on windows 7, just played a multiplayer match, works well, a lot smoother than the original

quixoticduck

Apr 5, 2013
I recently bought AoE3 on sale because at the time it was the only game of its type on Steam and I'd been having trouble getting multiplayer games to work; Steam made that easier. I also bought Empire Earth on sale on GoG.

I wonder if I should've waited (if I'd known) and bought this instead. I've actually not played it, just AoE 1 Gold.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I recently bought AoE3 on sale because at the time it was the only game of its type on Steam and I'd been having trouble getting multiplayer games to work; Steam made that easier. I also bought Empire Earth on sale on GoG.

I wonder if I should've waited (if I'd known) and bought this instead. I've actually not played it, just AoE 1 Gold.

II was the stand-out hit of the three, as far as I'm concerned.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

AoE 2 gets the best reviews, but AoE III is very much worth getting.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
The HD version is just a money grab. It doesn't even look that impressive. AoE 2 one of the best RTS games but has not aged well.

Age of Empires 3 on the other hand has aged very well. Great game play as well. Too many elitists shoot it down though.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Just finished a 2 hour match, they definitely need to optimize the netcode

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Just finished a 2 hour match, they definitely need to optimize the netcode

Yeah playing it on a 2nd machine, I'm getting some noticeable lag even in single player. And on my main rig the text has disappeared from most of the buttons and menus, and I can't get that fixed. :|

Edit: Looks like for Win 7 disabling 2nd monitor fixes lag.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Did you try the dx8 fix?

Go to your Steam Library and right click on AoE2 HD Edition.
Go to Set Launch Options
Enter '-dxlevel80' [No quotation marks]

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
This just came out. It's pretty cool that they are adding more to such an awesome game. Probably the purest RTS outside of SC1.

Awesome. I will probably wait for a sale before buying, but I had no idea this was out.