Age of Conan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005

LeetViet

Platinum Member
Mar 6, 2003
I took up their free 14 day for ex-subscribers. I bought the game when it came out and am enjoying it much more now.

If anyone plays on Tyranny (PVP), PM me. I'm only level 20.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
Tried the beg me to play trial for about an hour and my class sucked worse than before so I quit again.

The game is still sinking and still can't see bottom.

Its especially satisfying to watch the community die off around the people who blindly defend the game.

Mar 10, 2005
Originally posted by: WraithETC
Tried the beg me to play trial for about an hour and my class sucked worse than before so I quit again.

The game is still sinking and still can't see bottom.

Its especially satisfying to watch the community die off around the people who blindly defend the game.

schadenfreude
scha·den·freu·de [shahd-n-froi-duh]

?noun satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.

Origin:
1890?95; < G, equiv. to Schaden harm + Freude joy

what class was that? i had a dark templar.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Hi fellow AoCers! :D

I'm currently DLing the 3 GIG update with about 1 gig to go on my wondrous wireless network. ETA is approximately 3 hours to go. I started on this game a few days after it came out, and was so befuddled by bugs and crashes they didn't get a second paid month out of me. Oddly enough I found it ran pretty well, when it actually ran, out of the box after launch on my puny AMD 3800 with 2 gig and an Nvidia 8800. So I will be eager to see if it runs better or worse now after all these updates they made to the game. Plus, now I have an Nvidia 9800. And I archived this game on my spare HD I added to my system, so it will be the first time running it on that HD, too. If the free 2 week retrial pans out, they might get another month out of me, we will see. I don't think I ever got a toon above level 20 on it originally due to the frequently crashing state it was in at launch. But buggy seems like the way too many PC games are released. The current breed of most PC game makers have no one to blame for the decline of PC gaming but themselves for releasing games too early in a beta state that frustrate customers for months or years before they finally get it working right.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: SlickSnake

I'm currently DLing the 3 GIG update with about 1 gig to go on my wondrous wireless network. ETA is approximately 3 hours to go. I started on this game a few days after it came out, and was so befuddled by bugs and crashes they didn't get a second paid month out of me. Oddly enough I found it ran pretty well, when it actually ran, out of the box after launch on my puny AMD 3800 with 2 gig and an Nvidia 8800. So I will be eager to see if it runs better or worse now after all these updates they made to the game. Plus, now I have an Nvidia 9800. And I archived this game on my spare HD I added to my system, so it will be the first time running it on that HD, too. If the free 2 week retrial pans out, they might get another month out of me, we will see. I don't think I ever got a toon above level 20 on it originally due to the frequently crashing state it was in at launch. But buggy seems like the way too many PC games are released. The current breed of most PC game makers have no one to blame for the decline of PC gaming but themselves for releasing games too early in a beta state that frustrate customers for months or years before they finally get it working right.

So you 'upgraded' from a GeForce 8800 to a 9800, eh? :)

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder

Yes. I traded in an old 6800 agp I had lying around and $60 to get it. Not a great upgrade in the truest sense of the word, but I had another PC to put the 8800 in. And the 9800 runs a lot cooler in this rig.

And I still got 1 hour and 45 minutes to go to test it out again. And I even had a brief power outage, to boot, lol. Thank the stars for battery backups!

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder

Yes. I traded in an old 6800 agp I had lying around and $60 to get it. Not a great upgrade in the truest sense of the word, but I had another PC to put the 8800 in. And the 9800 runs a lot cooler in this rig.

And I still got 1 hour and 45 minutes to go to test it out again. And I even had a brief power outage, to boot, lol. Thank the stars for battery backups!

I was just joking... just a lot of people 'upgrade' from an 8800 to a 9800 and don't realize that depending on the 8800 model they had, they very well may have the exact same thing or even a slower card. :beer:

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
After paying $12 for a month and resubbing to this game to get the "free" mammoth mount at level 40, I have to say this game kicks butt compared to what it was at launch. I would also recommend the free 20 space bag option. You get a 16 space mammoth bag automatically, but those extra 4 slots come in handy while questing. And you can only equip one bag. And the ring offered is not that great beyond level 15 or so. And you can get the teleporter later on in a quest. You also get the 2 week resub time after you pay to resub, BTW, so then you get a month and a half of game play for only $12. Also, at level 50 you can open up another level 50 toon of your choice, which is a cool bonus!

I have had zero crashes compared to constant crashes at launch, but I have had a few occasional freeze ups during quest dialogs, possibly since these have a cut scene for them, this is most likely the reason. The servers are certainly stabler than launch, but I do have occasional login delays, where I have to hit cancel and reload the login screen. The only other problems I have noticed is occasional graphics hitches as the scenery loads in areas with large amounts of distant rendering information, such as in very large cities. But this can be easily tweaked and fixed by reducing render quality at a distance. I'm not running a high end system or card, by any means, so others may have zero rendering problems at full quality and details.

I am now much more impressed with the game overall, and it is certainly more like what I expected it to be at launch. And I may resub for another month just for the interesting PvP aspect of it once I level out. There are also many mod sites out there now to customize the interface and even tweak the settings. Such as AOC CURSE MODS

I would now recommend this to anyone who tried this before and give it another chance to impress you. And to anyone who likes this style of game and never tried it, I would now give it a good recommendation. Just remember it's only going to look and perform as good as your PC and video card can render it. And they did a great job with the graphic design overall, too.

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
Originally posted by: drebo
I played through a 7-day trial of this game and while the gameplay was as repetitive as every other modern MMO, the combat was inventive and made the game somewhat interesting. I realize that I probably will not be looking at a long-term game, but I enjoy MMOs and I have played and tossed most of the mainstream ones and I don't particularly enjoy KMMOs...

Yes, these types of games hold my attention for short periods of time.. I only purchase a month at a time. I just fired up City of Heroes for the first time in a year and a half.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
so what are they giving away now if you resub?

"After paying $12 for a month and resubbing to this game to get the "free" mammoth mount at level 40, I have to say this game kicks butt compared to what it was at launch. I would also recommend the free 20 space bag option. You get a 16 space mammoth bag automatically, but those extra 4 slots come in handy while questing. And you can only equip one bag. And the ring offered is not that great beyond level 15 or so. And you can get the teleporter later on in a quest. You also get the 2 week resub time after you pay to resub, BTW, so then you get a month and a half of game play for only $12. Also, at level 50 you can open up another level 50 toon of your choice, which is a cool bonus!"

I guess you didn't see my post. :D

I encourage anyone who tried this game at launch and were not happy with it due to buggy game play to try it again!

And anyone just shopping around for a new PvP/medieval style role playing game should give it a free trial!

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
indeed it is a good game, if even just to try it out for a bit

i ended up with serveral 80s, seeing all content currently in game, etc etc, it dried up though and I don't care for the way the game is at its fundamentals (Age of Casters basically) so I've been playing some other stuff

don't regret the 3 months or so I put into it at all like some MMOs (cough warhammer cough)

keep in mind, 3 months of playing for me is equal to years of play for some people because I spend a lot of time on my MMOs
(definitely not a brag, just pointing it out in case you say 3 months? that's it?)

Mar 10, 2005
well, after tweaking settings all night, i have the game running pretty well. unfortunately, the cimmeria server pop is quite low now. i'll likely transfer to pve set or wiccannna. omg, i am rusty as hell

Haunting

Dec 9, 2009
Still the best looking mmo around, lotr is like wow it looks good but its v ery cartoonish... the dark age of camelot style combat system is 2nd to none.