Aftermarket cooling options for 5970?

Tristor

Jul 25, 2007
As the end of the year approaches I'm prepping to do a new build to replace my aging Q6600/8800GTX rig and am planning on doing 2x5970 in Crossfire. My main concern though is cooling. Has anybody become aware of planned or already released aftermarket cooling options (air preferably, although I'm considering building another water chiller) for the 5970 dual GPU cards or any aftermarket coolers that have successfully been modified to work with the 5970?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
5970 in crossfire? thats basically like running EIGHT 4870 gpus.:eek:

I hope you will be using an overclocked i7/i5 and 30 inch monitor.

Tristor

Jul 25, 2007
If I do liquid, I'll do a chiller. But I'd rather do it with air. I'm pretty sure I can cover air cooling it since I keep my ambient temperature around 60F year round and the case I'm using has tons of space and a front to back airflow with a negative pressure design and 22 120mm fans.

My main concern is getting an aftermarket cooler because the VRMs are getting hot according to the latest article on the subject. I think an aftermarket cooler might be able to remedy that.

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
The reviews said 5970 has 400W cooler. It's going to be hard to better that one.

Just make sure your PC can keep up. :)

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
As stated in the Anand blog, and the 5970 OC thread, the 400W cooler is not actualyl attached to the VRMs. These are the little buggers that pretty much dictate the OC entirely.

While teh vapor chamber cooler is plenty for the GPU+RAM+Crossfire link the stock cooling on the VRM is not going to get you much past stock. Whatever you go with, if you have any want to OC the things, you absolutely need to make sure to cool them more than they are at stock. I have seen a couple water blocks around that would work (in theory) but no air I ahve seen would be able to cover them while at the same time allowing CF. You'd have to build it yourself.

I'll figure out a way to get the TECs out of my lab and into my computer yet...