aftermarket cooling for 8800GT OC

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
I was looking at the accelero S1 rev2 and the thermalright HR-03GT

Either one I was looking to add a low rpm fan either 92mm or more likely 120mm (probably the S-Flex SFF21D). I cannot find any direct comparisons between the two.

I would really like to keep the temps under 60 at load and as quiet as possible.

Anyone have a similar setup that can let me know their experience with temps and sound?
Anyone with other suggestions or thoughts that might fit the bill here?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Get the S1. It's a bargain for the performance it has .Buy any 120 mm fan you want and you'll surely have lower temps then 60 C. Had one on my 8800 GT and it worked like a charm ( 50C full load with an 1000rpm fan ).

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
Thanks for the input!

I finally found one direct comparison...
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/...wxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Which shows what my initial thoughts were,... basically going passive or very low rpm fan, the accelero will tend to hold its own or outperform (at less cost),... where the thermalright will overall outperform in cooling with a fan starting at the low to medium rpm range and extending the cooling lead as more cfm is applied. I just like to know that delta and where the sweet spot might land for me.

This tends to hold with all coolers (CPU, GPU, etc) with fin spacing,... greater spacing,... tends to be better for passive or low rpm situations, tighter spacing,... greater cooling ability but more air needs to be "applied" and in passive situations it hinders performance.

Since in this case I am looking for silence,... and I am tempted to go fully passive, but if not a very low rpm fan,... then I think the accelero S1 is the obvious choice (especially when I like to save money)

scruffypup

Feb 3, 2006
The one thing I do like with the Thermalright, is that they have the foresight to allow the aftermarket cooling to be mounted either direction. This makes a lot of sense for cooling multiple cards and having them face away from each other to ensure compatability. Heck it even allows you to turn one around if you need a specific slot freed up.

I think this needs more consideration from the aftermarket as we go into 2 and 3 card setups as much more commonplace,...

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
I have BFG 8800GT OC ... put a S1 on it without any fan, it runs passive just fine... it gets into the low 70s under load. I have two low speed 120mm Noctua 800RPM case fans for ventilation - the intake fan blows onto the video card a bit.

Oh, just a quick edit, I also overclocked my card another 25Mhz ... maybe it would be a tad cooler without the overclock... I wasn't to bothered by the temps, pretty much the same as it was with the crummy stock cooler.

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
I have the S1V2 on a BFG 880GT and no fans in an Antec Nine Hundred. I get 47C when folding and a little less playing games. I am idling at 38C. You cant beat it.