After switching to Windows 10, everything is cramped into small spaces

catboy

Oct 18, 2013
I used Windows XP for many years.

Recently I switched to a new computer with Windows 10. Now most of the content that I view is automatically cramped into spaces that are way too small. That cramping happens both within the OS's interface, and also when I browse web pages with either the Firefox browser or the Edge browser. It affects both text and visual elements. On my old computer, everything would expand to fill my screen properly. I need my new computer to do that too.

This problem is driving me nuts.

Before I made this post, I tried to look up the solution myself. Changing the Windows settings which I thought were the correct ones didn't help. I could use the "change the size of text, apps, and other items" and move the slider to 125%. Doing that improves the size problems, but it comes in exchange with other equally bad problems: it makes websites display out-of-proportion, and so parts of them get cut off from my screen and/or some elements become enlarged so much that they block & interfere with the functionality of other elements. I need a solution that will accomplish that slider's effect of making everything large enough, but without the terrible side effect of moving things out-of-proportion.

I have also tried the "zoom in" function of Firefox, but that does not fix the issue either. It just zooms in within the cramped "boxed in" spaces. But I need my computer to stop creating those "boxed in" spaces in the first place.

How can I make my computer expand the content on my screen to fill it entirely?

I have attached some pictures that hopefully make clear the problems that I am talking about. But if they don't, then please let me know what else you would need in order to tell me what is causing this problem and how to fix it.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Windows 10 has a setting indicating the "display resolution" recommended for the video card and the display adapter's properties will show the "monitor's refresh rate" . Errors here can be the problem.

As an aside, I can mention that the Creators Update has a vastly improved zoom in Windows and very useful compared to the " increase fonts, etc" function you mentioned. I heard that the improved zoom will accommodate screens up to 4k. It may be found under settings/display/scale and layout.

Last edited:

catboy

Oct 18, 2013
My monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024. That is also the resolution to which Windows is set.

What should I do to solve this problem?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Confirm that the refresh rate is set properly and update like I suggested.

RolandJS

Mar 10, 2017
I missed it, how many inches is the display, the monitor? For my Windows 7 and my 26" TV (acting as a computer external monitor) - I reset from 125% to 100% and set my resolution to 1366 x 768. That might work for you, I'm not sure about Windows 8 or 10.

catboy

Oct 18, 2013
Confirm that the refresh rate is set properly and update like I suggested.

The refresh rate is set properly because I put it at 75 Hz and it is capable of that. But the problem looks to be the same at 60 Hz too.

Something different about my new computer in contrast to my old one is that I was unable to install my monitor's driver on the new one. NEC seems to have removed that driver from their website, and it is no longer included in their application which bundles many monitor drivers together and then installs the correct one. So my monitor is being run by a driver from Microsoft, and Windows lists the monitor as "Generic PnP Monitor." Does that matter? Or is that irrelevant to this problem?

I missed it, how many inches is the display, the monitor? For my Windows 7 and my 26" TV (acting as a computer external monitor) - I reset from 125% to 100% and set my resolution to 1366 x 768. That might work for you, I'm not sure about Windows 8 or 10.

My monitor is 19 inches. Up until a few days ago when I switched computers, this same monitor was displaying everything fine on the Windows XP OS. Windows does not give me the option to go to 1366x768 since that is higher than my monitor's native resolution of 1280x1024. My Intel Graphics Control Panel gives me the option for custom resolutions, but it warns me that I can fry my components if I use it, so I'd rather not.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Ok I would normally pick the video display driver as a prime candidate for causing this problem but the windows driver apparently is supplying the correct frequency and resolution. Have you googled for a better driver ? Have you tried reinstalling the video device ? Have you looked for similar issues online with your video device ? Have you updated to the Creators Update ?

catboy

Oct 18, 2013
I am using Intel HD Graphics version 530. I installed the latest driver for that from the website of my motherboard manufacturer.

I did not look for similar issues online with my video device.

When I did try to search about the problem, I searched in terms of Windows 10, and also in terms of Firefox. Most of the results I found only said either to increase the scale percentage as described in the OP here, or to magnify things temporarily. But the solution that I need is for everything to be displayed correctly in the first place.

No, I did not update to the Creators Update. Maybe I will try that.

But I still do not understand what the cause of this problem is? In other words, what component, or what part of the OS, is telling my computer to cramp everything into small spaces? And why is it doing that?

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Neither do I but, out of curiosity, how old is the monitor?
I would update because someone on this board will soon issue a standard last ditch remedy-reinstall. The CU is a reinstall of a limited scope admittedly but may help by itself and offers a better zoom.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
This "issue" has nothing to do with graphics drivers, just page's author's conscious decision to fit content to a certain width.
GgrLx2R.png

catboy

Oct 18, 2013
The width is one out of two problems. The other problem is that the text & images within the OS, and also within web pages, is too small. Regardless of what the web pages' authors decided, I know that those pages need not be displayed in cramped ways, because my old computer did not do so. Even if the authors designed them to be cramped, surely there is a way to configure Windows 10 to override that decision and uncramp everything? But how is that done?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Don't see the problem, everything looks readable on my monitor. The 19" monitor and 1280 by 1024 is pretty low. I recommend a bigger monitor with at least 1080p resolution. Maybe Windows 10 requires 1080p or better.

Oops: I understand now, the web pages are scrunched and not using the whole width. That occurs at 1080p as well.

Last edited:

Keyvan Shahrdar

Apr 18, 2017
Windows 10 has a setting indicating the "display resolution" recommended for the video card and the display adapter's properties will show the "monitor's refresh rate" . Errors here can be the problem.

As an aside, I can mention that the Creators Update has a vastly improved zoom in Windows and very useful compared to the " increase fonts, etc" function you mentioned. I heard that the improved zoom will accommodate screens up to 4k. It may be found under settings/display/scale and layout.
I had the same problem. I changed the resolution of the screen. Also make sure that you are not zoomed out or in on the browser.

RolandJS

Mar 10, 2017
"...My Intel Graphics Control Panel gives me the option for custom resolutions, but it warns me that I can fry my components if I use it, so I'd rather not..." Changing resolutions will not fry anything; however, one can damage the monitor and maybe overtax graphic card by changing or upping the refresh rate. That's my refresh rate is always 60MHz.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm having trouble understanding what exactly is 'cramped' in Win10. All the OP's screenshots look fine / exactly as I expect them to look, and the personalization window looks exactly as it does on Win7 (aside from title bar decoration).

How web pages render is basically up to the web page designer (not literally, but any competent web designer will have tested their site in popular web browsers and amended their design to suit their preference). The personalization window's rendering is up to MS, and while I find it interesting that the bottom four options obviously get spaced equally and according to the available window space whereas the theme icons do not, it's hardly as if it makes distinguishing the various options to be difficult, does it. I've never seen any overlap issues or anything like that, and most users will maybe spend 5 minutes or less per year on that screen, so it hardly seems worth tarting up a great deal. MS will drop it at some point in favour of the Settings UI anyway, as part of their latest attempt to get rid of / revamp the Control Panel entirely.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm having trouble understanding what exactly is 'cramped' in Win10. All the OP's screenshots look fine / exactly as I expect them to look, and the personalization window looks exactly as it does on Win7 (aside from title bar decoration).
This. I fail to see an issue too.

Is this a CRT? There are some semi-known issues with CRTs and Windows 10, and perhaps it's not shown in the screengrabs, but maybe it's not scanning full-screen, so stuff is smaller?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Turn off ABP and you will understand why there is so much empty space.
This. It is taking off all the ads on the right. Also, are you running the same resolution you did in XP? or is this one different?

Also,if I zoom enough in FF, it will take my Google results to the outer edges of the page.

Can you give us the model number of this display?

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
For Fire Fox and the images posted, I have to agree with the last couple of posts. You have some kind of AdBlock and/or NoScript. And because of that, you're not seeing what should be in those margins (the ads).

You could get something like NoSquint and then have a per domain/website zoom level. That way when you next go to a site that doesn't fill your screen with content the way you expect, you can hit "Ctrl +" and zoom in and the zoom will be site specific. That's assuming Fire Fox hasn't done site specific zoom built-in, already.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Have you tried a different monitor ? Like a newer flat screen....

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
This. I fail to see an issue too.

Is this a CRT? There are some semi-known issues with CRTs and Windows 10, and perhaps it's not shown in the screengrabs, but maybe it's not scanning full-screen, so stuff is smaller?
he may just have an older LCD that is square and not a widescreen. I gave a 19" one away 3 months ago because no one would buy it from me. It used the same max resolution, too.

He needs to buy a widescreen monitor that supports higher resolutions.

edcoolio

May 10, 2017
Settings-systems-display

Scale and Layout

Try changing the "size of text, apps, and other items" to 125%. You may also be able to click "Custom scaling" which will allow you to put in your own percentage.

That should help. Additionally, in Firefox, I see your 'zoom' at 100%. Others here are probably right, that you are blocking ads which would normally take up the space. However, at least on Chrome, upping the zoom will help on some websites. It will also end up "overzoom" on may webpages.... your call.