After Supporting Prop 8, New CEO Brendan Eich Comes Under Fire From Mozilla Employees

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I do think preference should be given to heterosexual parents if everything else is equal

I think that preference only makes sense (ie. it's an advantage but not much) if you know the kid's sexual orientation. Kids are hopefully going to non-bigoted couples, so it shouldn't make much difference. Exposure to non-bigoted diversity is good.

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
I think it's best to raise kids with both a Daddy and a Mommy and benefit from the perspective of a male and female. Like it or not, there are differences between the sexes. We are wired a little differently. This method of raising kids has worked well for thousands of years

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I think it's best to raise kids with both a Daddy and a Mommy and benefit from the perspective of a male and female. Like it or not, there are differences between the sexes. We are wired a little differently. This method of raising kids has worked well for thousands of years
I don't disagree with this per se...

...but what about if Dad is a fuckin douchebag, and Mom is just another burned out housewife type looking for another 'pet' to stave off boredom? Is that really a better environment for a child than two adults of the same gender that are both stable, productive people?

I would hope we give preference to the most stable and loving environment regardless of gender, rather than just by gender without looking at anything else.

There are PLENTY of royally fucked-up people raised by both a mom and dad.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Some people are gay. There will always be some gay people. Legalising gay marriage does not encourage or discourage that.

Furthermore, people wanting to marry generally are promising to be monogamous; is this something you want to DISCOURAGE? Alternatively, if you think that marriage encourages sexual promiscuity, then perhaps you should be arguing to ban marriage entirely.

Is like how encouraging monogamy in a population that has a higher rate of AIDs is somehow...worse?

mind is blown. At least, such arguments inform the reader what type of people one is dealing with.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No. I think it is abnormal and disgusting. I'm not here to convert you or anything, do what you want. I really do not give a fuck what you or any of your cohorts think or believe.

Really! I don't.
It isn't my fault that you are wrong.

ah, so you now support gay marriage, then?

fascinating.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
@ Zaap

I assumed we were talking about adoption here, and hopefully adoption services would spot absolutely unsuitable parents. If the topic wasn't necessarily that, I agree with you.

@ Sea Ray

I'd say give them a chance rather than assuming that they're not as good. That's kind of what you're saying boils down to really. It might be in a few generations' time that (scientifically and unbiased) research finds that your theory is correct, but I doubt it since people are people with extremely varying abilities and such research would be difficult to perform thoroughly enough to draw such conclusions.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is like how encouraging monogamy in a population that has a higher rate of AIDs is somehow...worse?

mind is blown. At least, such arguments inform the reader what type of people one is dealing with.

I wonder if people who oppose gay marriage should first honestly ask themselves: Do you oppose homosexuality or do you specifically only oppose gay marriage. Usually it's the former, and they haven't logically thought through the implications of what such a course of action (based on their opinion) would be for society (e.g. "The Final Solution") because it lacks morality and pragmatism.

Some claim it's the latter (ie. they only oppose gay marriage), but it's actually the former in disguise (ie. "gay is dirty").

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
@ Zaap

I assumed we were talking about adoption here, and hopefully adoption services would spot absolutely unsuitable parents. If the topic wasn't necessarily that, I agree with you.
I was talking about adoption as well.

ie: 'unsuitable' should be defined as truly unsuitable for reasons that really matter, not anything to do with the gender of the would-be parents.

I have ZERO doubt that currently, there are probably suitable would-be parents passed over for being same-gender, in favor of in some way unsuitable would-be parents chosen more for being the traditional two-gender couple. As a blanket selector for raising kids because "that's always better" I don't believe really is.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
No. I think it is abnormal and disgusting. I'm not here to convert you or anything, do what you want. I really do not give a fuck what you or any of your cohorts think or believe.

Really! I don't. It isn't my fault that you are wrong.

Why do you think they are wrong and you are right? What basis do you have to support your belief beyond hatred?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
@ zinfamous and CitizenKain

pcgeek11's comments were actually regarding blow jobs, unless he just likes to put stuff in bold for no apparent reason.

I think his opinions between blow jobs and gays are pretty interchangeable though.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

...but what about if Dad is a fuckin douchebag, and Mom is just another burned out housewife type looking for another 'pet' to stave off boredom? Is that really a better environment for a child than two adults of the same gender that are both stable, productive people?

I would hope we give preference to the most stable and loving environment regardless of gender, rather than just by gender without looking at anything else.

While true I think thats just life. People have to find their own way and sink or swim. Sometimes an entire family is going to sink. Overall male + female parents is the best balance and should be the preferred family unit. There is nothing wrong with adoption and LGBT parents I just don't think it needs to be celebrated over what we know works.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
While true I think thats just life. People have to find their own way and sink or swim. Sometimes an entire family is going to sink. Overall male + female parents is the best balance and should be the preferred family unit. There is nothing wrong with adoption and LGBT parents I just don't think it needs to be celebrated over what we know works.

Based on the average parents being shining examples of parenting? Or perhaps the hate expressed in this thread?

The poll results I posted gave me a bit of hope though.

IMO society needs diversity. So many preconceptions over gender roles and sexuality need to be examined and broken down.

PS - I'm not advocating adoption over the standard method, I just think that there's a significant amount of 'pedestaling' of the standard method.

PPS - I'm not saying that homosexuals are generally shining examples of equality advocacy, a lot of the time the bulled become the bullies, but shaking things up a bit is a good thing IMO.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I sure don't think gays should be banned from adopting. In fact in many cases two gay parents are preferable to a single straight one where adoption's concerned. At least in that situation, there are two parents to truck the kid around to softball practice, Dr appts, etc.

I do think preference should be given to heterosexual parents if everything else is equal
If everything else is equal, I certainly agree that a mommy and a daddy are best for the adopted child. However . . .

Far too often "if everything else is equal" simply becomes "hetero first". If a homo couple has sufficient wealth and income that one can stay home with the child, extracurricular activities can be funded, and a decent college can be afforded, to me that is better than a nice normal hetero couple who must both work to support the family. A child up for adoption has already struck out in life's lottery, so that child needs as good a support system as possible. To me, that means time with and opportunity for the child much more than matching fiddly bits for each other. And both are to be preferred over the single parent, which puts the child one heartbeat away from being orphaned again.

Nov 25, 2013

Exactly. Nicely put.