After reading and searching about CPU's

Turtlewrench

Mar 4, 2008
I am still at a loss. I read over the on going whats the best bang thread and got ideas but wasnt sure because of breif replies. I have a limited budget, about 250 USD max. I would really like to squeeze more out of my PC for my gaming. I have a decent sound card(Xfi xtream gamer) and a 8800gts 512 card(wish I waited a year to buy lol). So I wanted to take this and my other guts and upgrade. It has a Athlon 64 x2 4800+ 2.6 cpu on a proprietary MB. It also only has memory at 533. I would like to be able to run 800 ram, and OC my machine. I cant fit a bigger case where I live and has to be budget. So my questions after reading countless posts in many forums. What you be my most cost effective move? I manly play a game called World War II online/ Battleground Europe. Its map is huge (1/2 scale of real map), so the game is CPU intense. I have asked there and gotten a few ideas but wanted to double check here.

What would be my cheapest bang for my buck? I have been told E8500 all the way but it kinda high on my budget. I have seen some interesting things about AMD too, like the 7580BE. Really I want something that can hit 3.0 or more. I know I want everything but I would really like to hear some ideas. So please leave me some CPU/motherboard for OC in a micro ATX form. Thanks for your time, and sorry to ask the question so many do. I have too much info.

PS who would like to try the game I am talking about PM, but I am really more interested in the upgrade.

Thanks again

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Well right now the 250 + 550 are AMD's cheap Phenom II X2 processors. They are a lot better than the Phenom I based procesors such as the 7850BE, and don't cost that much more.

Turtlewrench

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I just read a bunch about the 250, and think I will go that way. But now I just have to fidn a good MB for it. Read it can be overclocked so think I will give that a try. Anyone know of a good MB that OC's and is micro for this CPU?

Turtlewrench

Mar 4, 2008
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz is the one to get. Its BE and read some rave reviews

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
the 720BE really still seems to be the best deal, depending on your budget. it's intel competitor is the 2.8ghz e7300, which has half the l2 cache and one less core.

of course, if you've got signifigantly more than 120 bucks to spend, you can get a lot more performance.

Turtlewrench

Mar 4, 2008
Originally posted by: deputc26
Here's a board that will allow you to unlock the other 2 cores with that 550 http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813138140.

By the way Rhoxed, it's hilarious that your 720 ended up being faster than your 940 :laugh: if only by .025Mhz. That is one of the fastest 720s I've seen :beer:

So what would the optimal ram be for this? This board seem like the one that caught my eye. Comparable to the DFI lanpartys' and I like the lay out of this one better. This board and the 550 fit my budget very well and leave me for for a cooler, RAM, cpu paste.

I have a atec 430 PS
8800gts
xfi xtreamgamer

Was gonna load win7 on to it. So yeah any ideas on ram and any thing I might need but missed like better heatsink for one of the bridges or adapters for plugs?

Thnks again to all

Turtlewrench

Mar 4, 2008
OK so one last thing, that I cant find kinda. A good heatsink and fan for the CPU. I see all kinds but some say things like AM2+ but have the 550 listed. Where in its description it says AM3. I just want a fan that is gonna keep it kool. Any ideas?