After loading Uber gift card, Uber prices are 20% more expensive than Lyft

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I haven't used uber since before covid.
In 2019, uber and lyft had similar prices.

This year, I received a $25 uber gift card and loaded it onto my account.

Today, prices going to airport:
Uber $20 :eek:
Lyft: $17

3/17 = 18%

No coupons were used

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Prices between the two vary depending on apparently random BS.

I always check both apps prior to booking a ride since it takes about 30 seconds total .... neither is consistently cheaper.

Reactions: purbeast0

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Try opening the app, check for a ride, then close it out completely and try again.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Uber and Lyft prices have gone up drastically around here since Covid. Demand dropped to almost nothing for their services during initial lockdown, and now that people want to Uber and Lyft again, it seems that not enough drivers have come back to compensate for demand.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Uber and Lyft prices have gone up drastically around here since Covid. Demand dropped to almost nothing for their services during initial lockdown, and now that people want to Uber and Lyft again, it seems that not enough drivers have come back to compensate for demand.

I was only talking about rates in comparison to each other. From my experience they alternate being slightly cheaper and if anything Uber is less AND faster more often. (I usually take a car to the RR station downtown in the AM)

BOTH however are still dramatically cheaper then Metro Taxi! (local cab)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was only talking about rates in comparison to each other. From my experience they alternate being slightly cheaper and if anything Uber is less AND faster more often. (I usually take a car to the RR station downtown in the AM)

BOTH however are still dramatically cheaper then Metro Taxi! (local cab)
Lyft was usually a bit cheaper around here too. I haven't used either in awhile though after seeing how high their prices went up since Covid.

Pre Covid I'd go out in the city, Uber to the train and then at 2am getting home just Uber home real easily for 10 bucks. This spring getting home after midnight getting an Uber was like a 25 minute wait and over twice as much, where before it was 5 minutes or less. Lyft, they just didn't even have any available drivers at that time.

I got a cheaper bike I don't worry about leaving locked up all night at the train, so I just ride my bike there now. Got a front basket, stopped and gotten a slice at 2am, and I've ridden home with a nice buzz with another slice to share with the dog

2c1477ade02bf74e9fd994285edb4885.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Lyft was usually a bit cheaper around here too. I haven't used either in awhile though after seeing how high their prices went up since Covid.

Pre Covid I'd go out in the city, Uber to the train and then at 2am getting home just Uber home real easily for 10 bucks. This spring getting home after midnight getting an Uber was like a 25 minute wait and over twice as much, where before it was 5 minutes or less. Lyft, they just didn't even have any available drivers at that time.

I got a cheaper bike I don't worry about leaving locked up all night at the train, so I just ride my bike there now. Got a front basket, stopped and gotten a slice at 2am, and I've ridden home with a nice buzz with another slice to share with the dog

2c1477ade02bf74e9fd994285edb4885.jpg

Wait, you can be an Uber driver with a bicycle? Cool.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
plain old taxis are apparently trying to get back into the game... last week I took a taxi from our cruise ship to downtown Seattle. It was $15-$20 cheaper than the rates both Lift & Uber showed

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
plain old taxis are apparently trying to get back into the game... last week I took a taxi from our cruise ship to downtown Seattle. It was $15-$20 cheaper than the rates both Lift & Uber showed
but did you know this before you stepped into the taxi?
if so, how did you know?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
but did you know this before you stepped into the taxi?
if so, how did you know?
Nope, we didn't know - but the wife & I were in a hurry... we were at the front of the hordes that were leaving the ship, and we didn't want to risk waiting on Lyft/Uber when there was already a line of taxis waiting

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Nope, we didn't know - but the wife & I were in a hurry... we were at the front of the hordes that were leaving the ship, and we didn't want to risk waiting on Lyft/Uber when there was already a line of taxis waiting

Local taxi companies here are all trying to compete with Uber/Lyft now and a couple have come up with crappy "apps" too.

Problem all the larger ones have is the rides still cost around 30% more on average and usually involve more waiting around.

Only way to beat the app services price is to use an independent car service but then you run the risk of not being properly insured if something happens.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Folks in some NYC threads have said city taxis are cheaper now a lot of the time. Plus they have an app now - curb.