After installing AMD Catalyst, dragging icons on desktop is not smooth

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Reformatted, clean install of Windows 7. Before installing AMD drivers, dragging icons around desktop is smooth like normal. After installing AMD drivers, dragging icons on desktop is choppy looking. Any idea what could be the cause?

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
There were already amd drivers installed. Windows 7 probably had an amd driver for your GPU otherwise icon dragging would have not been that smooth. You probably updated that driver and encountered a bug which is performance related. My advice would be to uninstall that driver from add/remove programs, go to amd's website and download the catalyst version previous to your current one that generated this issue. If you've installed an old catalyst version, download and install the latest catalyst.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Reformatted, clean install of Windows 7. Before installing AMD drivers, dragging icons around desktop is smooth like normal. After installing AMD drivers, dragging icons on desktop is choppy looking. Any idea what could be the cause?

What version of the catalyst?

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
As the guy above said, you probably had AMD drivers installed through windows update and then installed maybe an older driver or whatever and it caused a problem.

I suggest you uninstall the current driver and reinstall again.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
windows update is disabled, its a fresh install so no previous AMD drivers, tried reformatting and doing over and the same thing happens

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Try an older AMD driver? Presumably you're using the latest version.

What version did you use before you reinstalled Windows?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
switched over to an aero theme and it went away

when i switch to a windows classic theme dragging icons is choppy

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Got the Intel GPU drivers installed also?

Surprisingly that happens a lot because I went to uninstall the AMD drivers with DDU on my cousin's PC which has the Z87 chipset and a 4770k and Intel came up on DDU instead of AMD.