After installing 4870X2/8.8 Cats I have an unknown device/CCC says one GPU is disabled?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I installed my HD4870X2 and the 8.8 Cats. Install went fine. Rebooted. Upon reboot I get the Windows Device Install Wizard. I cancel it and look inside Device Manager and I have an unknown device. Any idea what this is?

Also, when I go inside CCC and look inside the Information Center, under Graphic Hardware, it lists Primary Adapter as HD4870X2 and underneath it a Disabled Adapter HD4870X2.

What's up with this? How can I check that XFire is enabled?

Thanks for the help.

*edit*

The unknown device was the ATI HDMI audio driver. Thanks, zod96.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
did you install the full catalyst suite? there is a WDM driver that needs installed too. i believe that is what you are seeing

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Hmm. I installed the full CCC suite (33MB) named 8-8_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_67975. I installed under "Custom Mode" and only installed the driver and CCC. I unchecked WoW demo and ATI regisration.

So I have to install an ATI audio driver too? :confused: Why isn't that just part of the CCC?

OK, I'll go look that up on AMD's site. What about my "Disabled HD4870X2?" My 3DMark score sure doesn't look as high as it should. :(

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: hclarkjr
the wdm is part of the package, maybe you unchecked it somehow without realizing it?

Possible. I'll reinstall now and see. Thank you.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Nope, same thing. I reinstalled and I'm positive I only unchecked ATI Registration and WoW Trial. I still have the unknown device (where do I get the driver anyway?) and CCC still shows 1GPU disabled.

*edit*

I found the HDMI audio driver (funny, there's no HDMI port on the card!) on the CD that came with the card. I NEVER use the drivers that come with the card. So, the Unknown Device is taken care of. Thanks much for that.

Now, about my disabled GPU...???

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: hclarkjr
download GPU-Z and see if both are seen with it

Ah, good. In the section labled "ATI Crossfire"it says 2 GPUs enabled, sideport off. That's a relief.

It sees both GPUs; but I have to switch b/t them in the drop down box at the bottom of the screen.

Also, GPU and Memory clocks are different for both GPUs. The Pixels/Fillrate are also different. I assume that some power saving feature for when you're in 2D?

I remember reading here in this forum that somewhere in the CCC you can see if XFire is enabled. Maybe I'm remembering wrong?

Thanks for your help, hclarkjr.

*edit*

GPU-Z only sees 1GB of memory. Is that normal? Also, I noticed that the card's 2GB of memory took away 1GB of system memory. Windows no longer sees 3GB (i have 4GB installed) as before; it only sees 2GB.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
each video core is being seen one at a time so it will only see half the memory. and yes that is power saving mode you are seeing. same as cpu's

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I won't be trying any beta drivers since I'm not (so far) having any issues. Have only tried two games though (The Witcher and UT3).

It's weird that in CCC it shows a "Disabled Adapter" under Hardware settings but in the Overdrive panel I can see both GPUs (and in GPU-Z as well).

My 3DMark06 score sucks, compared to what I was expecting (I score 14,900...was getting 12,500 with 8800GT) but 3DM isn't a real game.

Side Note: The card came with an "advanced" version of 3DM Vantage. The cd case has a key on it. Is this a full version? I thought 3DM Vantage was DX10 only...

Thanks to all for the help. :thumbsup:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: MichaelD
*edit*

I found the HDMI audio driver (funny, there's no HDMI port on the card!) on the CD that came with the card. I NEVER use the drivers that come with the card. So, the Unknown Device is taken care of. Thanks much for that.

Before receiving my HD4870 and after ordering an HDMI to HDMI cable, I thought the HD4870 had an HDMI port and I was so puzzled as to how they expected to move audio over HDMI without an HDMI port.

The sound travels out of a DVI port and when using an HDMI cable, can carry the audio over to the device. I have on odd occaision used my HD4870 to send the audio to my HDTV.

I also had difficulty with the missing device and the HDMI audio. I am sorry that this did not help your missing GPU situation.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Elcs
Originally posted by: MichaelD
*edit*

Before receiving my HD4870 and after ordering an HDMI to HDMI cable, I thought the HD4870 had an HDMI port and I was so puzzled as to how they expected to move audio over HDMI without an HDMI port.

The sound travels out of a DVI port and when using an HDMI cable, can carry the audio over to the device. I have on odd occaision used my HD4870 to send the audio to my HDTV.

I also had difficulty with the missing device and the HDMI audio. I am sorry that this did not help your missing GPU situation.

That's good info though, Elcs. :) I didn't know that audio goes through the DVI port as well. Also, I'm sure we wont' be the last two people that have the "missing device" problem after installing the CATS direct from AMD instead of the CD that comes with the card, which nobody ever uses. I'm sure the auto-install utility on the CD would've installed all the necessary drivers...but I never take the thing out of the box as a rule. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure my missing GPU problem is solved. GPU-Z sees as does Everest as does half of the CCC. It's there.