After awaking from sleep, i lose my media storage drive. force reboot

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by LOUISSSSS, May 12, 2010.

1. LOUISSSSS

LOUISSSSS Diamond Member

so i put my HTPC to sleep. i have 1x Intel SSD, and 2x 1TB Sata. Can someone tell me why i can't play my music on foobar after i awake from sleep and i can't detect my 2x hard drive in My Computer?

2. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

Sounds like your board / bios / OS are not playing nice with each other.

3. RebateMonger

RebateMonger Elite Member

From an Administrator-level command prompt, run the diagnostics program:

"powercfg /energy"

After it runs, look at the report (it tells you where it's located) and see what kinds of errors you are having.

4. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

let me guess...another satisfied windows 7 customer?

5. LOUISSSSS

LOUISSSSS Diamond Member

i'm running it now, what kind of errors should i be looking for?

6. LOUISSSSS

LOUISSSSS Diamond Member

Here is the results after running

7. killster1

killster1 Diamond Member

whats weird, same thing happened to me (not exactly but had drives disappear that required reboot to fix) im not sure why it happened as i reinstalled windows 7 with updates and hasnt happened. What os you using?

also i think i disabled the HD's powering down at all,, thats prob it! Who wants there hds to sleep (especially if this is what happens)

8. LOUISSSSS

LOUISSSSS Diamond Member

using W7 64 HP, the HDD is already set to never power down. the only thing i dont understand is "hybrid sleep" should that be yes or no?

9. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

10. Qbah

Qbah Diamond Member

My drives would disappear after a sleep too. All I had to do was install Intel's latest drivers for storage called Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Didn't happen once since. It happened last time in January - when I installed the package, and was happening all the time before the installation. You might want to do the same, though get your drivers from AMD of course :p

#10 Qbah, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  11. LOUISSSSS

LOUISSSSS Diamond Member

Done, i'm going to test this over the next few days and if not, i'm going to try Installing some drivers. How can i tell which drivers i'm using right now for storage?

12. killster1

killster1 Diamond Member

funny after i made the post my dvd drive disappeared (or at least i tried to burn dvd and it was gone) , kinda frustrating! I made same thread about drives disappearing but mine happened even when i was copying a file over so doubt it was sleeping issue. Got these drivers to install STOR_allOS_9.6.0.1014_PV.exe, previously the 9.6 drivers said not compatible and refused to install hope this fixes it.

#12 killster1, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  13. Idontcare

Idontcare Elite Member

Definitely install your drivers, the "disable USB selective suspend" was just to deal with the errors that were reported by the powercfg report.

Whether rectifying those errors also eliminates your drive-drop issue remains to be seen, but it shouldn't hurt.

14. RebateMonger

RebateMonger Elite Member

I was looking for Power Management issues that might specifically affect the disks. My original PC configuration, for instance, reported issues with the ACPI portion of my BIOS, which I was able to upgrade, eliminating the error. I also had a problem with an old Bluetooth adapter. I went ahead and removed it, which made the error go away.

I get "USB Suspend: USB Device not Entering Susped" errors on my Win7 PC, too. I don't think that's related to the disappearing disk problem.

I don't know what that ATI High Definition Audio error is. I'd make sure my audio drivers are the latest.

#14 RebateMonger, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  15. Emulex

Emulex Diamond Member

original G2 x25-m firmware had a bug with this too

16. killster1

killster1 Diamond Member

shit my dvd drive keeps disappearing now, the hds are all still there and the dvd drive disappears, seems like my other windows 7 pc does not do this so very puzzling, but other mobo is a p43 instead of x48? wonder if its the mobo? bad drivers? Going to switch the cables again Frustrating.

17. vshah

vshah Lifer

i had an issue where whenever i put my win7 64bit to sleep, when I resumed my 1tb caviar black media drive would not be shown up. it would require a reboot to appear again.

the following msft hotfix fixed my issue:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/#top

edit: according to makaveli below, it caused a boot loop/blue screen after a few days for him. It's been working fine for me for a few weeks...but I agree a full backup is probably a good idea if you want to try this out

#17 vshah, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  18. Makaveli

Makaveli Diamond Member

Which motherboard are you using. I had this affect me on my x58 when using ms ahci driver. As soon as I switched to the intel drivers problem solved!

19. Makaveli

Makaveli Diamond Member

Becareful with that hotfix. It worked for me but after a few days caused my system to go into an infinite loop and blue screen and a reformatted was required. I would suggest doing an image or backup of your OS before installing it.