After about 85 intel cpu's my first Rma.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
I had an intel i5 6600k die on me. Never have I ever killed off an intel cpu. (I don't oc them)

So far the RMA procedure has been easy. I posted to the intel site on Sunday and here it is on Tues. I have all the rma info and will mail it to them on Weds.

Never overclocked it or ran it hot . Always in the 50c to 55c when really gaming hard. In the 45c when doing nothing much.

I will ship it on Weds and see how long replacement takes.

I did not want to spend 25 + 243 = 268 for the cross ship option.

I can send it for 12 bucks us mail.

They asked for the heatsink that came with it.

Am I correct that the boxed i5-6600k had no heatsink?

I purchased this in August 2015 I have no clue as to where the old box is. So before I ask Intel about no heatsink in the boxed 6600k I thought I could ask here. I do have more then one intel heatsink laying around since more often then not I do not use them.

I am about 98% sure mine came without a heatsink.

this is my email from them. Note I put the heatsink request in bold.

Hello Philip,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

As per your request, I just setup an standard warranty replacement for your Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor.

Your RMA order number is 75xxxxxxxx.

We will send you an email with all the information on where and how to send the defective processor to us, check your spam and junk mail, please remember to include the original fan and heatsink that came your processor.

We would appreciate if you:
-Write the RMA outside the box, your shipping address and your name
-Include a copy of the email confirmation inside the box
-The RMA closes after 60 days if you have not sent the defective unit to the warehouse.

You may package the defective unit as you wish; however, we recommend to use a secure package in order to avoid any type of physical damage during the shipping process.

Please be aware that as per internal procedure our data base will automatically send an additional email to you informing that the current ticket is being closed and giving the option for a survey. I'd suggest waiting until you receive and test the replacement part to confirm that it actually resolved the problem. If not then you can re-open the ticket and we can continue assisting you. If the problem is fixed then feel free to complete the survey to help us improving our service.

In case you need more assistance or if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

xxxxxxx

Intel Customer Support

If anyone knows about the box having a heat please let me know. The rma is important to me as 243 $ is a lot of coin to me.

TIA phil

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
What kind of RAM did you use? Some older DDR3 modules with higher voltage could damage on die memory controller.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I had to RMA my 4790K back in September. It was only about 9 months in service. They didn't ask me to return the cooler, they just asked for the numbers on the sticker on the cooler.

The RMA was easy and fast.

The 4790K I got back appeared to be a new retail boxed CPU.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
The 6600K doesn't come bundled with the stock HSF, but why does Intel thinks shipping a bulky dirt-cheap item back along with a defective CPU to them for RMA is a good idea? It's such an exercise in pointless stupidity.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Never had to RMA CPU myself, but my dad just had to RMA CPU for the first time ever. He purchased 6700K that seemed fine, but was showing graphical glitches when using on-the-die graphics, he then ran the stress test and the CPU failed it.

Anecdotal evidence of intel being less strict with quality control trying to meet the skylake demand?

iGigaflop

Apr 20, 2016
I had an intel i5 6600k die on me. Never have I ever killed off an intel cpu. (I don't oc them)

So far the RMA procedure has been easy. I posted to the intel site on Sunday and here it is on Tues. I have all the rma info and will mail it to them on Weds.

Never overclocked it or ran it hot . Always in the 50c to 55c when really gaming hard. In the 45c when doing nothing much.

I will ship it on Weds and see how long replacement takes.

I did not want to spend 25 + 243 = 268 for the cross ship option.

I can send it for 12 bucks us mail.

They asked for the heatsink that came with it.

Am I correct that the boxed i5-6600k had no heatsink?

I purchased this in August 2015 I have no clue as to where the old box is. So before I ask Intel about no heatsink in the boxed 6600k I thought I could ask here. I do have more then one intel heatsink laying around since more often then not I do not use them.

I am about 98% sure mine came without a heatsink.

this is my email from them. Note I put the heatsink request in bold.

Hello Philip,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

As per your request, I just setup an standard warranty replacement for your Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor.

Your RMA order number is 75xxxxxxxx.

We will send you an email with all the information on where and how to send the defective processor to us, check your spam and junk mail, please remember to include the original fan and heatsink that came your processor.

We would appreciate if you:
-Write the RMA outside the box, your shipping address and your name
-Include a copy of the email confirmation inside the box
-The RMA closes after 60 days if you have not sent the defective unit to the warehouse.

You may package the defective unit as you wish; however, we recommend to use a secure package in order to avoid any type of physical damage during the shipping process.

Please be aware that as per internal procedure our data base will automatically send an additional email to you informing that the current ticket is being closed and giving the option for a survey. I'd suggest waiting until you receive and test the replacement part to confirm that it actually resolved the problem. If not then you can re-open the ticket and we can continue assisting you. If the problem is fixed then feel free to complete the survey to help us improving our service.

In case you need more assistance or if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

xxxxxxx

Intel Customer Support

If anyone knows about the box having a heat please let me know. The rma is important to me as 243 $ is a lot of coin to me.

TIA phil

Ive never had anything go bad on me just had old psu's, hd's and optical drives that go out past warranty. But i hope i didnt jinx myself i have a 5820k asus x99 pro and corsair 3000mhz ddr4 im getting ready to put in a coolmaster storm stryker. I have the case, psu, hd's and ssd's from my 3770k build. It sucks when stuff breaks on you but just be glad its under warranty. But it seems like mb's and psu's rma way more than cpu's.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
What kind of RAM did you use? Some older DDR3 modules with higher voltage could damage on die memory controller.

low voltage ddr4 1.2volts

How do you know it is the CPU that went bad?

I do 10 builds a year.

I have a house full of parts the cpu does not work on 3 different mobos with 3 different set of ddr4 1.2 volt ram

with multiple psus.

and all of the mobos work with the 6500t I have on hand.

I want to thank everyone for all the answers and questions.

I am going to reply to the email and send out just the cpu.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
How do you know it is the CPU that went bad?

In my case, the computer abruptly quit booting.

I tried the 4790K in two other boards, and I tried other CPUs in the first board.

The results indicated that the 4790K had kicked the bucket.

Plus, I think Intel will just exchange the CPU anyway, as long as you don't ask for a new CPU too often. I don't think they care much unless you seem to be abusing the RMA service.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
The 6600K doesn't come bundled with the stock HSF, but why does Intel thinks shipping a bulky dirt-cheap item back along with a defective CPU to them for RMA is a good idea? It's such an exercise in pointless stupidity.

Because they don't want people using the old cooler with no thermal paste, which probably happened enough for them to make this the policy.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The reason for asking for the cooler is likely just a mistake. He probably just wants everything that came with the purchase, and just assumed the CPU came with a HSF. Just write him back to let him know that the CPU didn't come with a HSF and there shouldn't be an issue.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Ive been doing builds and supporting enterprise setups for 16 years, ive seen exactly 1 intel cpu go bad and it was a 2.4ghz P4, it wouldnt finish a windows install but the replacement worked perfect.

That being said, ive only had 1 AMD go bad and that was because of a failed globalwin heatsink/fan on a Tbird 1.1ghz

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, I don't know what to tell you. The replacement 4790K fired right up and is still thumbing it's nose at 6700K chips right now. :D

I have to conclude that the original chip failed.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
The reason for asking for the cooler is likely just a mistake. He probably just wants everything that came with the purchase, and just assumed the CPU came with a HSF. Just write him back to let him know that the CPU didn't come with a HSF and there shouldn't be an issue.

This was the case. I forwarded this thread to him with newegg link and he said just send the cpu.

Saves postage only $6.80 via us post office small flat rate box.
I have never had this happen but when I get it back I will use it in a different case and not game with it.

as weird as it may seem after fours days of doing googles on

the 2500k
the 2700k
the 3570k
the 3770k
the 4970
the 4970k

and lastly the 6600k

the 6600k has a lot of issues exactly like mine.

I had a very early 6600k and a very early mobo and very early ram.

The ram still works in two other mobos.

But I suspect the mobo and the cpu are toast.

I won't drop any more 200 dollar cpus in the mobo as I don't need to find out the mobo was the cpu killer on a second cpu.

As someone else mentioned intel cpu death is very rare.

My first in 82 builds I went back and checked records.

I will put the replacement in a different mobo then the gigabyte in my signature. I will run a simple eth coin miner with it for a while which will not load the cpu hard at all.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Without OC they seem to last forever. OCing definitely increases failure rates though, I've killed 2 in the past 2 years or so.

Intel has the best RMA experience out of any vendor.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
philipma1957,

I'd really like to know what happened to that failed chip of yours. Guess, we'll never find out. Sucks that, we can't really expand on knowledge of this case. Intel doesn't seem to ever respond back. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of adjectives, prepositions and nouns. I hate to speculate without more information.

I had to RMA my 4790K back in September. It was only about 9 months in service. They didn't ask me to return the cooler, they just asked for the numbers on the sticker on the cooler.

The RMA was easy and fast.
Another case, another missed opportunity to learn something new. Have a problem? RMA.

Without OC they seem to last forever
I guess, most people change CPUs at least once a decade. Personally, I ran one P3 CPU 24/7 for about 9 years but retired it some years ago. One thing for sure, it wasn't brand new anymore. Also, I don't believe "simulated" tests that much.

Here's a nice diagnostic tool from Intel, but sadly, it doesn't work on failed chips.

37749367502154299183.png

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It wouldn't boot in three different boards. Other Haswell chips booted fine in all the boards.

What more could I personally have learned about the chip?

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I have exactly one confirmed case of bad CPU in over 20 years of building computers. A Dell with an Ivy i5 bought "refurbished" off eBay had a processor that would crash immediately, every time Chrome was run. It would also crash in Edge but after like 5-20 minutes of surfing/videos/etc (couldn't quite pin down what was causing the crash in Edge). Passed IntelBurnTest and MemTest86 & etc with zero problems found. Fortunately the seller had a replacement chip he swapped me once he saw the buggy performance for himself.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Similar to RadiclDreamer, my only failed chip was an AMD Thunderbird Chip. I think I just overheated the darn thing (too many times). I thought someone brought me a failed AMD last year (an Athlon II), as the beep codes indicated that was the problem, but it turned out to be the motherboard.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
New chip came in today. New sealed box direct from intel. All in all about 8 days.

I did not do cross shipping which would have cost 268 usd up front. And get back a 243 credit when I ship back the dead one.

I fit in a small flat rate US postal so i spent about 7 dollars for a new replacement cpu. Not the end of the world. pretty good service.

Last edited:

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Never actually had a CPU die on me. Even my 4770K, de-lidded in 2013, still works fine. I suppose they degrade faster when overclocked, but we're still talking many years of use. Heck I fired up my ~1988 Amiga 500 the other week and the 68000 @ 7 MHz still works fine.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, don't recall ever having a CPU die on me either.

I did fry an Abit 440BX-chipset mobo once, with a slotket, that I did a pin-mod on, as well as setting jumpers, and between the both of them, I accidentally shorted out the CPU Vcore to GND. Fried the mobo VRM circuits. CPU was OK though.

NatePo717

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2005
I've used nearly 1,200 CPUs over the course of the last 4 years and have only had 2 bad CPUs. They wouldn't boot in any motherboard I tried them in. I find them to easily be the most reliable of the components I've used.