after a few hours of inactivity, we have to restart to get DSL to work..... why?

Hexametaphosphate

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hello fellow comp peeps...

I have a question.... we just got DSL not too long ago... I'm not a networking guru, but I installed everything and it works fine.... EXCEPT.....

When we haven't been online for a while, we have to restart the computer to have working DSL.... when launching IE we get the blank page and it says something about DNS server..... anyway.... I can't tell you right now the exact page, but I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about.... I can write it down later and will post if need be. What causes this and what can be done? I'd really rather not have to do that.... just wondering....

thanks,

-Hex..

Edski

Jan 28, 2000
The problem is more than likely dynamic ip's. Do you have a static ip or dynamic? If you have dynamic, I would say that your ip is probably changing. I notice this exact same problem when my IP changes.

Hexametaphosphate

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I bet that's it..... is there any way to do anything about it without setting static IPs??

thanks!! at least I know why it's doing it...

-Hex..

michec

Feb 1, 2001

Did the DSL provider give you a primary and secondary DNS server to input in your network neighborhood properties? I think those are required whether you get static or dynamic IP. Have you called tech support and asked them about it at all?

A few days ago at work, I started getting lots of DNS problems. I could access some of the more well-known sites, but most other sites (including Anandtech) wouldn't come up for me. When I called tech support for our DSL provider, I asked if anyone else had phoned in about DNS problems. They said yes. They had just started using different DNS servers, so I plugged in the new IP addresses and everything was back to normal.

Now, if everything works for you if you reboot, you probably don't have the same problem I had. It might very well be something to do with dynamic IPs. I can suggest something, though. If that is the problem (dynamic IP stuff), you don't need to reboot to be able to restore your DSL functionality. Click on "Start", go up to "Run", type in "winipcfg", click on "More info", select your ethernet card where the down arrow is. When you do this, the "release" and "renew" buttons should no longer be greyed out. Click on "release" and then "renew". That will update your IP info (if your dynamic IP changed) and you should be able to use your DSL after that.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
IP leases almost always last more than a "few hours". Even the people I know that use PPOE get a 72 hour lease. I doubt that this is a result of your ip address changing, and even if it was, your computer should pick it up and keep going without problems. I would remove/reboot/reinstal TCP/IP/reboot and see if that fixes it. If it does not, call your DSL tech support and give them a shot at it.

<< Did the DSL provider give you a primary and secondary DNS server to input in your network neighborhood properties? I think those are required whether you get static or dynamic IP. >>

Not if he has dynamic. DHCP will give him an ip address, gateway router, and dns information. He should not need to set anything on his side of the computer.

<< Have you called tech support and asked them about it at all? >>

Do this. Put it in their hands. The first level phone droids will most of the time do a good job of basic troubleshooting, and if that does not fix it, you will have the perfect excuse to get escalated to someone with more in depth knowledge if indeed it is a serious problem :D

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
I was just wondering... are you using VerizonDSL? because thats what i have and it happens to me sometimes too.

TheMonkeyPit

Mar 30, 2001
I have a similar problem. I have SNET DSL, a dynamic IP, and I'm using a Netgear RT314 router. When the router is first powered on, I am able to access the internet. After only a few minutes (anywhere from 2 to 10) of inactivity, the router needs to be powered off then back on to get the connection back. I have entered in both DNS server addresses but that doesnt help. Rebooting my machine doesnt even get the connection back, only unplugging the router and plugging it back in does it.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
IMO all of you should be using tech support for your provider. That's why you're paying, LOL. :) Personally, I was all over my provider until they worked out the kinks. Every problem I had was THEIR FAULT! It's easy to tell it's them when theirs 6 computers in your house using 4 different OSes all with the same problem. LOL

The biggest fix was a flash of my routers firmware, that took care of 99% of my problems....but that is THEIR FAULT.

hirschma

Mar 3, 2000
One possibility has been discussed here, a DHCP lease time out. I don't think that anyone mentioned that you can get a new lease by simply using either winipcfg, or ipconfig from the command line. Try this first ,and if it works, you have your answer.

The other possibility, and the one I think is more likely, is that the actual DSL connection times out, too. Don't know how you're connected to DSL, but I'm using a Linksys gateway box that will automatically &quot;redial&quot; when the DSL link drops, and will also reconnect when a computer needs to access the Internet.

I love my Linksys (the four-port model), it costs about $120 now, works well as a firewall, lets you share, etc. etc. - don't even think about using broadband without some protection.

jonathan

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
i had a similar problem too, it still happens once in a while.

i have a linksys router, which i use to connect- verizon dsl. it pisses me to the max when all of a sudden i'm offline, i go to the router page and it says disconnected, and on top of that my user name and password have disappeared. so i have to retype the user name and password (you don't need to put in dns etc) and hit connect again. but i've also got the reconnect option liek hirschma, and i can't thank linksys enough for that... it saves me a lot of crap! thank you linksys!!!

snidy

Jan 30, 2001
Are you using the new 2300 usb modem, I had that problem, then switched to the 2200 PCI, and no more problems.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
sounds like PPPoE to me.

um, do some research and get a better pppoe client.

OR, get a router that supports it. i know when i had verizon (BA) that the connection problems were no problem with the router... that is, lease expiration. and some problems went away after replacing winpoet with something else. i forget what.

Hexametaphosphate

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a netgear router and my provider is SWB (the only one in this area, and we're lucky to even be able to get it... I hate living in small towns..) This problem I posted about only seems to take place when we've been away for hours.... I'll try to winipcfg trick.... I bet it's no big deal but it's annoying and I figured I'd try to get rid of the &quot;prob&quot;..... thanks for all the idea....

-Hex..