After 9/11, Rudy wasn't a rescue worker -- he was a Yankee

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
It seems that Rudy claimed he spent as much time at ground zero as many rescue workers. That pesky liberal media investigated the claim and found out he spent twice as much time watching the Yankees play ball . . . .

After 9/11, Rudy wasn't a rescue worker -- he was a Yankee
Giuliani said he spent as much time at ground zero as many rescue workers. Where was he really? Much of the time, at baseball games.

What Rudy said:

?This is not a mayor or a governor or a president who?s sitting in an ivory tower,? Rudy said. ?I was at ground zero as often, if not more, than most of the workers. ? I was there working with them. I was exposed to exactly the same things they were exposed to. So in that sense, I?m one of them.?

The Rudy video is right here.

Dang those pesky facts, eh, Rudy?

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Sounds like a non-sequitur. What does him going to Yankee games have to do with disproving his statement?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: yankeesfan
Sounds like a non-sequitur. What does him going to Yankee games have to do with disproving his statement?

Time spent at Ground Zero: 29 hours

Time spent at Yankees Games: 58 hours

It seems that the police and fireman have taken exception to his comments:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponlin...liani-Ground-Zero.html

Just last week, Giuliani was criticized by some firefighter unions for suggesting he was at ground zero as much, if not more, than many rescue workers and exposed to the same health risks. He quickly backed off that statement, saying he misspoke.

'The longest time I saw him down there was when President Bush came to the site,'' said Riches. ''He doesn't care about the first responders, he did nothing to help them when he was in office or after. He didn't give us respirators until November.''

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This investigation didnt find me there either. Was I really there?

Talk about a flimsy story :roll:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Amazing how the kneejerk right will attempt to obfuscate to avoid factual information contrary to their belief structure...

The story is based on Rudy's calendar- you know, how he scheduled his time, something most politicians have to do quite religiously... So, if he were to have spent as much time at ground zero as rescue workers, he'd have had to somehow miss ~130 hours of other scheduled activities in that month to do what he said, be on scene for 40 hrs/week... something that obviously didn't happen...

But, he's the Terrar hero candidate, you know, the guy who put the emergency command center adjacent to the most likely terrorist target in the city... and couldn't come up with respirators for the workers for nearly 2 months... Nice to see that he's claimed to have mis-spoken- as if that kind of assertion could possibly have been a mistake...

It's all part and parcel of the attempt to create a new persona for the guy, one that better fits the repub base...

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
With the amount of criticisms you can level at Mr. Giuliani being quite numerous, it's odd that you need to post such a pointless attack on the guy. But let's ask a few questions:

How many hours did most rescue workers spend at the WTC?

How definitive is this enumeration of hours he spent at the WTC site? Does his schedule list 100% of the times he made it to the site? I would think that if not just for security reasons this would be untrue.

Is the mayor of New York City not expected to show up at the freakin' World Series when his city's team is in it?

Are we taking this as a criticism of how seriously the ex-mayor took the WTC attacks? That just strikes me as all sorts of wrong. He didn't need to have his ass parked 20 feet from the crater to be dealing with the issue.

Are we seriously supposed to take his comment as a quotation of fact? I sincerely doubt he counted up the hours before making the statement. Any reasonable person would assume that he was saying, "I spent a lot of time there, I feel like I'm one of the crew."

I consider Mr. Giuliani quite unsuited to the presidency, but try to attack the guy on meaningful points instead of trying to slime the guy.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Didn?t Rudy already apologize for making that statement?

Sort of back tracked. You have to admit that he was there a LOT and he was there on the day of the attack as well.

How much time did Hillary spend down there? hmmm

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

what does that even matter?

it almost takes me back to kerry and vietnam... clinton isn't basing her entire campaign around 9/11, just like bush wasn't basing his entire campaign in '04 around his service during the vietnam war.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Many workers spent a lot of 12 hour days, iirc, although autoritative sources are rare...

How definitive is this enumeration of hours he spent at the WTC site? Does his schedule list 100% of the times he made it to the site? I would think that if not just for security reasons this would be untrue.

The numbers are from the archival records of his activities at the time, corrected for actual time spent at locations and events, vs what was scheduled...

http://www.essentiallycontestedamerica.org/2007/08/18

Security doesn't matter after the fact, unless you're part of the Bush Clan, then everything is about super sekrit security, including toenail clippings...

Giuliani has made the assertion that he was subject to the same perils as workers repeatedly... and I have to correct my math... in the 3 months in question, giuliani would have had to spend at least an additional 450 hours onsite for his claim to be honest...

As I said, it's part of an effort to create this heroic persona for Rudy to slide into... I mean, yeh, sure, he was the mayor, and his efforts weren't totally screwed up like katrina, but don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining, OK?

Sheesh...

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: yllus
With the amount of criticisms you can level at Mr. Giuliani being quite numerous, it's odd that you need to post such a pointless attack on the guy. But let's ask a few questions:

Is the mayor of New York City not expected to show up at the freakin' World Series when his city's team is in it?

Are we taking this as a criticism of how seriously the ex-mayor took the WTC attacks? That just strikes me as all sorts of wrong. He didn't need to have his ass parked 20 feet from the crater to be dealing with the issue.

Are we seriously supposed to take his comment as a quotation of fact? I sincerely doubt he counted up the hours before making the statement. Any reasonable person would assume that he was saying, "I spent a lot of time there, I feel like I'm one of the crew."

I consider Mr. Giuliani quite unsuited to the presidency, but try to attack the guy on meaningful points instead of trying to slime the guy.
well said!

/thread

then again, maybe he spent more time sh*tting... maybe the OP should start an investigation into the mayor's BM's during the immediate six months following 9/11... I might consider such a fact absolutely vital in my vote for the next President!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Face it, palehorse- Rudy's been caught in a bit of self-aggrandizing truthiness... if it's such a minor thing, then why's he the one making a big deal out of it?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Didn?t Rudy already apologize for making that statement?

Sort of back tracked. You have to admit that he was there a LOT and he was there on the day of the attack as well.

More pathetic diversion. I seem to recall that it is Giuliani that is campaigning about 9/11 and bragging about how often he was at the site. Unfortunately, Rudy is a one trick pony, and that trick probably won't work.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Face it, palehorse- Rudy's been caught in a bit of self-aggrandizing truthiness... if it's such a minor thing, then why's he the one making a big deal out of it?
look, I'm probably not going to vote for the guy, and I'm not here to defend his statements. I just think the entire "issue" is ridiculous and hardly worth discussing.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: yllus

Holy shit a well thought-out, completely unbiased point of view with meaningful statements in P&N!?!?! This world is coming to an end.