After 25+ years with PCs, finally bought my first mechanical keyboard

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
For the last 10 or so years, I used a $40 Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard, which still works fine. However, it was really starting to look gross after all the years of use. I've read various articles on mechanical keyboards over the years, so I figured I might as well spend the extra money and try one out.

After reading up on the differences between the different cherry switches, I headed to Best Buy in hopes they had them on display so I could feel and hear the differences. After trying some blue switch keyboards (way too loud) and then brown (still too noisy), I saw the Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent. Apparently these switches are exclusive to Corsair, and a perfect fit for my needs. It feels like a normal red switch, but is noticeably quieter.

So for anybody else who is a first timer like I was, you really want to try out these in person. And by the way, I love the Corsair keyboard I chose {$120 on sale at Best Buy). And yes you can turn off all the RGB craziness (I honestly don't know how anybody could type with some of the color profiles like 'rain' and 'swipe'.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent

40 day update: March 20, 2018

I'm still really enjoying this keyboard, but even now my muscle memory was so used to typing on the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard with each side placed at an angle, so I'm still getting used to typing on a straight keyboard. I guess using that style of keyboard for so long will take just a little longer to get it out of my system. Outside of that, absolutely no complaints.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Good info. For me, quiet is very important.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I still use a Microsoft Sidewinder X4.

I regret not buying a spare or two when they were on clearance for $30.

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
Switched from a Cherry Mx Brown switched keyboard over to a Romer-G keyboard. Couldn't be happier either. I'm never going back to Cherry MX switches.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Switched from a Cherry Mx Brown switched keyboard over to a Romer-G keyboard. Couldn't be happier either. I'm never going back to Cherry MX switches.

That was one of the finalists I looked at before deciding on the Corsair. I think it was the Logitech G910 (which had the Romer-G switches). Another contender was the Razer Ornata Chroma.

All of the HyperX keyboards were too loud for me to consider, although they seemed really well built..

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Every time you post it's like we line up and have a similar situation. Six months or so ago I also moved on from my MS Comfort Curve after many years of reliable service and bought my first mech board. I decided on the Rosewill RK-9300 BR because I read the brown switches are a good mix between typing and gaming. The brown switches are a little on the loud side though but at $49 the price was right.
Anyway, congrats on the new kb. If ya can let us know how you like it after a few months of use.

Reactions: UsandThem

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
I'm still rocking my Unicomp Model M because there is something about buckling springs that just works for me, but I did get something similar to this to try out the various Cherry switch types and as a sort of desk fidget doodad. Some of you on the fence or curious may find them useful and fun to tinker with.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm still rocking my Unicomp Model M because there is something about buckling springs that just works for me, but I did get something similar to this to try out the various Cherry switch types and as a sort of desk fidget doodad. Some of you on the fence or curious may find them useful and fun to tinker with.

I never knew such a device existed. That would be very helpful for people who don't have a local store where they can test out different switches. Heck, if I had come across that I would have likely ordered a keyboard a while ago.

I probably read about mechanical keyboards for several years without actually ordering one because I wasn't sure how the switches were. I know if I had ordered one from Amazon and didn't like it, I could return it, but I really hate returning things unless they are defective. I was actually surprised by how many my local Best Buy had in stock and on display in their store. At first I didn't think they had any because they keep mechanical keyboards in a separate area from their "regular" keyboards (mechanical keyboards are kept near the console gaming area, compared to the computer area for regular keyboards).

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
That was one of the finalists I looked at before deciding on the Corsair. I think it was the Logitech G910 (which had the Romer-G switches). Another contender was the Razer Ornata Chroma.

All of the HyperX keyboards were too loud for me to consider, although they seemed really well built..

Yeah, I've got two Cherry MX keyboards and the Logitech G910. Definitely prefer the G910.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i prefer the logitech G910 over the corsairs for several reasons.

1. I am a gamer and the gamer profile in logitech game suite swaps profile via .exe
So one profile i have for Farcry can be changed for something else automatically.

2. I Use the G macro keys quite often.
If its to rename my video library, or a quick copy and paste, or anything, those G keys come in handy

3. I also use a Logtech G502 + G13 which are also supported by LGS.
So it saves me the headache of having to install all these profilers and everything swaps on its own.

If i wanted a mechanical keyboard without gaming in mind, like at my work, you would be very hardpressed to steal my DAS.
In fact even after getting my admin one to use, she ended up buying her own for her house, because she couldnt stand how a non mechanical keyboard felt. She claimed it was the most expensive keyboard she ever bought, but worth every dollar spent.

Heres a video on it:
https://youtu.be/KIRah9Niuss?t=2m46s

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I've had the Strafe RGB for about a year. The one thing that bothers me with this keyboard is the textured space bar. It irritates my thumbs after awhile.

I've also decided that I'm not a fan of mechanical keyboards. I know they are super popular with everyone and that's why I bought one but in the end I'm fine with membrane. My office is next to the bedroom and even though the Strafe has "quiet" switches, it's still a bit too clickety clack for me at night.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
From that page at Amazon ... about how each color of Cherry MX is supposed to feel like:

-Cherry MX Red.Low actuation force, silent, smooth. The most popular switch for gaming, it has the lowest force required to hold the key down (just imagine how long you hold "w" to move forward in most games, this key won't tire your hand). One of the most popular keys, used in many gaming keyboards.
-Cherry MX Black. High actuation force, silent, smooth. Basically a slightly more resistant red, a matter of personal preference.
-Cherry MX Blue. Medium actuation force, clicky, loud. Very popular for typists who don't mind annoying their neighbors.
-Cherry MX Brown.Low actuation force, quiet tactile bump. Can be viewed as a compromise between the Red and Blue, typists generally prefer the tactile "bump" feeling, yet the key is quiet so it won't annoy your neighbors. One of the most common key types, as it is used by both gamers and typists.
-Cherry MX Green. Tactile & Clicky 80g actuation force - Firm tactile and clicky switch.
-Cherry MX Gray-brown. Firm Linear 60g actuation force - Tactile bump, no click.
-Cherry MX Gray-black. Tactile 80g actuation force - Firm tactile bump, no click.
-Cherry MX clear. Tactile 55g actuation force - Tactile bump, no click.
-Cherry MX white. Tactile & Clicky 65g actuation force - Tactile and lighter click switch.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I actually abhor the RomerG switch. I've tried them in two different keyboards a year apart and felt the same way both times.

My preference is on buckling spring but of cherry switches I like the Reds and Clears. I'd probably like Gray Brown/Black but I've not used them.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
From that page at Amazon ... about how each color of Cherry MX is supposed to feel like:

-Cherry MX Red.Low actuation force, silent, smooth. The most popular switch for gaming, it has the lowest force required to hold the key down (just imagine how long you hold "w" to move forward in most games, this key won't tire your hand). One of the most popular keys, used in many gaming keyboards.
-Cherry MX Black. High actuation force, silent, smooth. Basically a slightly more resistant red, a matter of personal preference.
-Cherry MX Blue. Medium actuation force, clicky, loud. Very popular for typists who don't mind annoying their neighbors.
-Cherry MX Brown.Low actuation force, quiet tactile bump. Can be viewed as a compromise between the Red and Blue, typists generally prefer the tactile "bump" feeling, yet the key is quiet so it won't annoy your neighbors. One of the most common key types, as it is used by both gamers and typists.
-Cherry MX Green. Tactile & Clicky 80g actuation force - Firm tactile and clicky switch.
-Cherry MX Gray-brown. Firm Linear 60g actuation force - Tactile bump, no click.
-Cherry MX Gray-black. Tactile 80g actuation force - Firm tactile bump, no click.
-Cherry MX clear. Tactile 55g actuation force - Tactile bump, no click.
-Cherry MX white. Tactile & Clicky 65g actuation force - Tactile and lighter click switch.
My AZIO RETRO keyboard uses KAHL Blues, without wearing my hearing aids, I can still hear the clicks but it is not as pronounced as I would like.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I bought three Gamdias mech. 'boards last year, I think it was. Got them for 50% off, so $45 ea. Unfortunately, one failed (Windows 10 keeps hitting the Right-click-menu key randomly), and my other one in service on another PC, I spilled soda on it, and hitting one key sometimes hits another. I think that I can clean that one, though, as I think it's the keycaps getting stuck together, and not the switches or switch matrix acting up.

Got one in reserve. They use some sort of "Gamdias certified, Blue 'clone' switches". Unsure of the maker, but they have a decent, and very "clicky" feel to them, but they're still nothing compared to my Buckling Spring keyboard.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm still using a £3 Chicony keyboard from 1998 or 9 (PS/2). Every couple of years or so I borrow my dad's contact cleaner spray, pull off all the keys and give it a good clean. Come of the key labels are starting to fade, but at this rate I suspect my wife will insist that I upgrade to something nicer-looking before the non-event of the labels mostly wearing off. The keys are a subtle shade more beige than the rest of the (probably originally white, though off-white now), but once it has been cleaned it looks more-or-less good as new.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
I went from a Sidewinder x4 to a Corsair K95 (brown switches) 3 years ago. About 3 months ago I bought a POK3R. The Corsair is working flawlessly, I just needed a much smaller keyboard for my current setup, and wanted to try blue switches. My step brother is currently using the Corsair.

I'll never go back to a membrane keyboard.

I still use a Microsoft Sidewinder X4.

I regret not buying a spare or two when they were on clearance for $30.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I had the Logitech Spark G910, didn't like it, never returned it so kept using it as it was decent enough, and it broke in about a year. That was my first mechanical keyboard. After a year with the Corsair K55 membrane keyboard I just picked up a Corsair K70 Lux with Cherry MX Speed switches from best buy. They didn't have the reds which was initial preference but I can always order that from Amazon if I want to.

So far from gaming for a few hours I really dig this keyboard. Gaming feels so so responsive. I wanna go left I go left in an instant. Go right the same thing. Only one accidental keypress in those hours of gaming. I hit the R button on the way to the 4 button. Otherwise it's been a complete joy.

I've typed a bit on them and so far so good though it might take a little bit of getting used to, just can't be as sloppy as I can be.

Keyboard is still louder than I would like but my living situation is fine where it's not going to bother anyone, aka my fiance, here at my condo.

BTW the guys at Best Buy are idiots

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I agree the people at Best Buy do not really know what they are doing. If I need good tech advice or repairs, I go to Microcenter -- Now all they need to do is open a store in Northern NC (near the Raleigh area -- lots of schools there, they should do fine) -- Right now my nearest one is in Virginia about 3 hours away

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Sorry for the triple post .. Forum was hanging on the post reply function

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I never noticed the major benefit of my mechanical kb until I tried going back to a membrane one, it was immediately noticeable.

I decided to get a new keyboard and stuck with browns after trying a few of them out. The Rapidfire seemed like it would be nice for gaming but not for typing, and I probably type more than I use the keyboard while gaming (I typically use a controller connected to the PC). So, I wound up just getting a new cherry mx brown keyboard (K95 RGB Platinum)... this one has macro keys, USB pass through, a nice aluminum finish and better media keys than my old. Also there are some cool lighting presets available if you search the online, right now mine is Matrix themed.

But yeah, I think if I had gone to a new switch, it would have been the Silent variant... red is close to brown, just no tactile feedback.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I never noticed the major benefit of my mechanical kb until I tried going back to a membrane one, it was immediately noticeable.

I decided to get a new keyboard and stuck with browns after trying a few of them out. The Rapidfire seemed like it would be nice for gaming but not for typing, and I probably type more than I use the keyboard while gaming (I typically use a controller connected to the PC). So, I wound up just getting a new cherry mx brown keyboard (K95 RGB Platinum)... this one has macro keys, USB pass through, a nice aluminum finish and better media keys than my old. Also there are some cool lighting presets available if you search the online, right now mine is Matrix themed.

But yeah, I think if I had gone to a new switch, it would have been the Silent variant... red is close to brown, just no tactile feedback.

The Cherry MX Speed switches are actually pretty good for typing so far and I've had the keyboard for 2 days, too early for a definitive thought but enough typing for a first impression. I am a pretty good typist in the 70-80WPM range so decent enough. I will give it a week to fully decide but so far so good. That 1.2mm actuation distance is pretty dang awesome for gaming though. Not sure I could go back to something slower now.

Edit: Did a few typing tests with the new KB and I'm still in the same range with around the same amount of errors that I'm used to.

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
The Cherry MX Speed switches are actually pretty good for typing so far and I've had the keyboard for 2 days, too early for a definitive thought but enough typing for a first impression. I am a pretty good typist in the 70-80WPM range so decent enough. I will give it a week to fully decide but so far so good. That 1.2mm actuation distance is pretty dang awesome for gaming though. Not sure I could go back to something slower now.

Edit: Did a few typing tests with the new KB and I'm still in the same range with around the same amount of errors that I'm used to.
Not to brag, but I'm closer to 90wpm :p

EDIT:

Yeah I may have tried the Speed version of the K95, but it wasn't on sale nor was it in stock where I was at... they had a demo keyboard with those keys though so if I thought it felt a lot better I'd have waited, but it seemed like it could have been a trade off. I figure at the end, you'll adapt to the slight differences. I'm not a major competitive player so wasn't overly concerned.

Last edited: