After 10yrs, Prince Harry to quit British army. Hmm, Maybe because he's still a Capt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/prince-harry-quit-army-year-report-article-1.2131695

He is reported to be considering a change of career to concentrate on his children's charity in Africa.

How about he's quitting because after 10yrs in the army, he's still a Capt?

I know in the US, you're usually a Major at the 10yr point.
if you're not a Major at that time, take the hint and leave.

/Tin Foil Hat

Before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, “due course” officers of the Army Competitive Category were promoted to major at about 11 years of commissioned service.

Because the Army expanded following 9/11, it shortened the promotion points to meet increased requirements for captains and majors. The wait for major leaves shortened to about 9½ years.

In 2013, Lt. Gen. Howard Bromberg, Army personnel chief, said the promotion point for major, then about 9.8 years, will be extended, but over a two-year period. “Major will go to about 10 years this year, and to 11 years next year,” he said.

So, ten years was the average for captains to promote to major and is now over 11 years.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Maybe it's due to the fact he was expected to serve rather than wanting to serve. None the less it's his decision and if he feels he will do more for others with his children's charities.....good on him!!!

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
He was pretty pissed at the media for ruining his military career. They wouldn't leave him alone which barred his entry into the MOS's that he wanted to be in. He was VERY bitter about it several years ago; I wonder if he still blames them for his military career death due to harassment. Can't do top-secret stuff with the media following you everywhere you go with cams on you or the building you're in and following you around 24/7.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It takes a lot longer to make rank in the British Army. Plenty of people retire as Majors, which is fairly uncommon in the US Army.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
Captain? i don't like nor get this tradition of service. Let's say this thing with Russia escalates, and Cameron (or Miliband or whoever) sends some troops to help Ukraine. OK, yep, royalty would help flush out some Russians over Joe Capt. who went trained as an officer but comes from Tower Hamlets or Govan. Got it....

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
The US and UK promotion systems aren't the same, you can't compare them that way JEDI.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
How about he's quitting because after 10yrs in the army, he's still a Capt?
How about you backing off and letting him live his life? He doesn`t need idiots trying to second guess him!!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It takes a lot longer to make rank in the British Army. Plenty of people retire as Majors, which is fairly uncommon in the US Army.

The US and UK promotion systems aren't the same, you can't compare them that way JEDI.

thx

the only reason I brought this up was that I knew someone who was a capt in the US army.
he quit after 10yrs because he didn't make major at that point.
he didn't want to stay over a decade more till retirement w/doubts of making lt col.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
He's pissed because he doesn't want to be seen like his uncle, and the media was involved in influencing his career in a way that makes that prevents him from really doing that. It's already been hard enough for him to do a real job with the security restrictions placed on him. He's done some questionable things in last decade or so, but I don't see him as almost useless like Andrew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.