Afghanistan welcomes new billion-dollar US aid

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
linkage

KABUL, Aug 4 (AFP) - Afghan Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah Monday welcomed a new one-billion-dollar aid package from the United States and hoped other countries would follow suit.

"It is very good news for the people of Afghanistan and is in fact news awaited," Abdullah told reporters at a press conference.

"While we remain grateful to the international community as a whole for their generous contributions in the past 20 months, it was very obvious that a new mood was needed, a new effort was needed in that line," he said.

"We hope that the international community, the donors, friends of Afghanistan will follow the same line."

RDWYTruckDriver

Jul 16, 2003
Nice. Yes, I hope the international community picks up the pace in helping these nations and their people and not let it all fall on " just " the US or it's currently helping Allies.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RDWYTruckDriver
Nice. Yes, I hope the international community picks up the pace in helping these nations and their people and not let it all fall on " just " the US or it's currently helping Allies.

there are ALOT of countries helping in the rebuilding of afghanistan, Iraq is ofcorse a totaly different matter

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Czar

there are ALOT of countries helping in the rebuilding of afghanistan, Iraq is ofcorse a totaly different matter

nobody helped before the soviet invasion, during, or after either.... until the soviet invasion they were the largest donors of aid to afghan, then the US. the EU historically has done NOTHING for them, at least in the last 100 years, it's just as bad as all the Arab nations who do nothing to help the Palestinian people. The only one who actually welcomed Pal. refugees was Iraq ironically, they were given better treatment than the average Iraqi.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: Czar

nobody helped before the soviet invasion, during, or after either.... until the soviet invasion they were the largest donors of aid to afghan, then the US. the EU historically has done NOTHING for them, at least in the last 100 years....
ohhh boyyyyy you sure know absolutely nothing, the EU was formed in 1993

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
jesus freaking christ, for your information the EU was used as a general term to describe europe. I know it did not materialize until the 90's, I also know it began immediately following ww2 (did you, I doubt it) and took that long to happen, and it is still ongoing.

Does not change the facts, the soviets and the US were always the largest donors of aid to afghanistan, until the soviet invasion, then we were the major players.