Afghan Women and the Return of the Taliban

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
We did drop 700,000 lbs of ordinance in Tora Bora. Problem is Bush/Franks refused to hollow out caves where Taliban/AQ were dug in like ticks. Operators were told to wait and not given 800 Rangers requested. Not allowed to drop time sensitive Gator Mines on the ground to prevent escape. There were no civilians so "nice" has nothing to do with it in this instance. Word is - command failure.

My point stands, we didn't drop everything and the kitchen sink :p and we were totally being "nice" because we didn't drop the gator mines because we were asked not to by our allies. we also had afghan soldiers point guns at our troops for 12 hours because we are "nice." should of shot every afghan soldier in the fucking face involved in stopping our troops and pointing guns at them.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
My point stands, we didn't drop everything and the kitchen sink :p and we were totally being "nice" because we didn't drop the gator mines because we were asked not to by our allies. we also had afghan soldiers point guns at our troops for 12 hours because we are "nice." should of shot every afghan soldier in the fucking face involved in stopping our troops and pointing guns at them.

My understanding is the operators on ground were out gunned by our afghan "allies" - so instead of Bin Laden escaping you get Bin Laden escaping, new set of enemies and dead operators. Bottom line they didn't get Rangers and mines as requested and those decisions come from the top.

Has it occurred to you Bush did not want Osama? Do you know how much money Lockheed, General Dynamics, SAIC, Blackwater, Booz Allen Hamilton, and thousands of others made in these past 9 years?

May 11, 2008
William Gaatjes: So much text and essentially you are writing the taliban is wrong but we must not stop the hurting of those poor people. ...

Are you a native English speaker? I would like to know if you make no sense because you make no sense or because you lack the command of English to make sense. This is not an accurate description of what I said at all. I said that the Taliban, believing they are right, think they also have a right to harm others for the good of their moral beliefs, and that if you kill them for that you are the same, that the way to beat the Taliban is to win the hearts and minds of people with a higher morality, a real morality that values the rights of man. I said nothing about not harming them or that I felt pity for them either. I said that to react to them with a will to kill them all indiscriminately is exactly what they would do to you. I said your reaction is as insane as their own, that you have no faith in the power of good over evil, that you fight evil with good not with similar identical evil.

WG: Add your boring self hate delusions here...

M: Because that is the exact self hate that the Taliban have for their own lives.

WG: You might as well just copy and paste your post for infinite time.

M: I could, but when the truth is addressed directly at you rather than generic a typical reaction occurs, that the data appears to be useless, as useless as you feel:

WG: The information will still be non existing.

M: Because you reject the obvious.

WG: I will no longer reply. You bore me.

M: You have no reply any more than the Taliban do.

WIKI

Boredom has been defined by C. D. Fisher in terms of its central psychological processes: “an unpleasant, transient affective state in which the individual feels a pervasive lack of interest in and difficulty concentrating on the current activity.”[4] M. R. Leary and others describe boredom as “an affective experience associated with cognitive attentional processes.”[5] In positive psychology, boredom is described as a response to a moderate challenge for which the subject has more than enough skill.[3] These definitions make it clear that boredom arises not from a lack of things to do but from the inability to latch onto any specific activity.

There are three types of boredom, all of which involve problems of engagement of attention. These include times when we are prevented from engaging in something, when we are forced to engage in some unwanted activity, or when we are simply unable, for no apparent reason, to maintain engagement in any activity or spectacle.[6] Boredom proneness is a tendency to experience boredom of all types. This is typically assessed by the Boredom Proneness Scale.[7] Consistent with the definition provided above, recent research has found that boredom proneness is clearly and consistently associated with failures of attention.[8] Boredom and boredom proneness are both theoretically and empirically linked to depression and depressive symptoms.[9][10][11] Nonetheless, boredom proneness has been found to be as strongly correlated with attentional lapses as with depression.[9] Although boredom is often viewed as a trivial and mild irritant, proneness to boredom has been linked to a very diverse range of possible psychological, physical, educational, and social problems.

You can write from your own needle narrow view at the world.
But i know one thing :
I just heard this song on the radio. Alison Moyet - This house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES_YvdIu78I

That girl and many girls and women like her will never be able to enjoy this song. Because all they will feel think of is the mutilation, the horror, the despair and the pain. And not how (although cruel and empty it sometimes may be) but everybody knows about, a simple heart ache. Only in the civilized western/ asian world where plastic surgery has become a daily standard for idiots who have a distorted view of themselves can this same plastic surgery still help her.

You are to obvious...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
A fair point for historical accuracy. However, the point is not relevant to the point of my post.

Yes, that's all the issue is.

It's interesting to note the lack of interest generally in the history of the pre-Soviet regime, where our policies hurt the enemies of the Taliban for our own other agenda.

We had the government of Afghanistan fighting the Muslim fundamentalists, higher standard of living, more women's rights - and we didn't support them, but did the opposite.

There's not much interest in the causes of many wars.

What has really changed over the lessons of the false pretenses for the war in Vietnam - when the two later wars with Iraq had false pretenses as well?

Not 0.1 percent of the Afghanistan war discussion has anything about that history.

Not much of the discussion about Iran, for that matter, includes 1953 for most Americans, which led to the decades of the Shah. Imagine if Iran had installed a dictator here.

There was no President Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford of Carter - only the Shah of America serving Iran's agenda, and finally overthrown by our Christian right who installed the Moral Majority types to the permanent, unelected ruling of the nation, with a restored democracy with limited powers under them to this day.

For good measure, throw in Iran encouraging a decade-long war as soon as they left with our arch-enemy attacking us with chemical weapons causing millions of casualties. Oh, ya.

Oh, let's be fair to list both sides - a youth group did storm the Iranian embassy when they left, and held 55 or so hostages for a year, and then let them go unharmed.

The only event that actually matters, that Iran cites to this day when talking a new war.

Oh, and Iran has occupied Mexico since 2001, as the world's strongest nuclear power - we have no nukes - in part for the reason it gives them a good base for invading us at some point.

After watching them ignore any international law against aggressive invasion with the Mexico invasion, we might want our own nukes to deter them from invading. They say that's worth war.

We don't hear much about that with most Americans who discuss war with Iran.

And there's not much interest in learning from mistakes in the history of our role with the Afghan government that was trying to do many of the same things we are now.

Would the world - and would we - be better off with what we did in Afghanistan, or had we been friendly to the Afghan government then?

One could argue that the harm to the Soviet Union was worth the cost of the Taliban, perhaps of 9/11, of a decade of war in Afghanistan - but that's a pretty callous calculation.

Saying a country's suffering is 'expendable' as a pawn, or that a 'war against any communist regime is always justified' policy is demanded not to be questioned for any war.

As long as it was said it was against a communist regime that's the end of debate.

Last edited:

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
my understanding is the operators on ground were out gunned by our afghan "allies" - so instead of bin laden escaping you get bin laden escaping, new set of enemies and dead operators. Bottom line they didn't get rangers and mines as requested and those decisions come from the top.

Has it occurred to you bush did not want osama? Do you know how much money lockheed, general dynamics, saic, blackwater, booz allen hamilton, and thousands of others made in these past 9 years?

qft

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Please learn to read. I said that because he fancies he is superior, a superiority that I then concurred with, that, therefore, he had an additional right to kill. The Taliban who also fancy themselves morally superior also claim that right. I then pointed out that the issue is not who fancies what, but what real moral superiority leads to in actions. If you are truly morally superior you are truly morally superior. You will win the battle of ideas because you are right. The victory will come by winning hearts not killing people. You have no inner sense of your own moral superiority so you become desperate and fanatical. It also affects your ability to read.

I stand corrected and apologize for my rude outburst.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
My understanding is the operators on ground were out gunned by our afghan "allies" - so instead of Bin Laden escaping you get Bin Laden escaping, new set of enemies and dead operators. Bottom line they didn't get Rangers and mines as requested and those decisions come from the top.

Has it occurred to you Bush did not want Osama? Do you know how much money Lockheed, General Dynamics, SAIC, Blackwater, Booz Allen Hamilton, and thousands of others made in these past 9 years?

We were out gunned for an instant, the Afghans don't out arm us and the soldiers who stopped and pointed guns at our troops should of been killed by our troops the moment the situation became under our control, fuck those pieces of shit.

Yes I realize how much money is being made by those companies and it is a possibility Bush didn't want to catch Osama. I couldn't really say if he did or didn't, I hope he did though I really do. If our government had no plans of catching Osama and just kept doing what they were doing, then we're quite a few years overdo for a revolution.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You can write from your own needle narrow view at the world.
But i know one thing :
I just heard this song on the radio. Alison Moyet - This house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES_YvdIu78I

That girl and many girls and women like her will never be able to enjoy this song. Because all they will feel think of is the mutilation, the horror, the despair and the pain. And not how (although cruel and empty it sometimes may be) but everybody knows about, a simple heart ache. Only in the civilized western/ asian world where plastic surgery has become a daily standard for idiots who have a distorted view of themselves can this same plastic surgery still help her.

You are to obvious...

Your youtube link didn't work. You have a good heart but you lack understanding. You don't see that you must carry all the pain of the world inside you, that you must suffer terribly. You must become a black hole where all the injustice of the world fall on you and none is reflected back. Jesus showed you this when He went on the cross. In order to save the world you, yourself must die. If you are tempted by the Devil to vengeance and power over evil you will lose. Victory is in total surrender. To die to the desire for vengeance takes enormous courage. You must understand that God forgave His murderers because they knew not what they did. Humanity is asleep in Hell and only you can awaken. There is nobody else you can save if you don't save yourself first. To die to the self opens the door to love and compassion. If you do not crucify the self the self will crucify others. It can't be otherwise. I am sorry.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Really? We killed them all? That's why they still exist? That's why leaders who were held in Gitmo then released back to Afghanistan escaped custody and are now back running the Taliban? That's how we killed them all? Look if you eliminate the problem, then the problem is eliminated. If you pussy foot around the problem, then the problem sticks around. We did a whole lot of pussy footing and very little eliminating. The reasons for this is because we try to wage "nice" war. Total war is the only kind of war to wage, anything less is a waste of time, lives and resources.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To start out with bfdd, you seem to have reading comprehension problems and perceptual problems as well.

If you read what you said, I said Nato tried and failed to kill all the Taliban. I did not per say that Nato should not engage in killing the Taliban, but when after 9 years the Taliban still exists in large numbers, one has to realize that is not getting anywhere.

Nor can we compare into chess rules and say, well we start out with eight pawn, 2 rooks, two knights, 2 bishops, and a King and Queen, and as those assets are removed during the game, there are simple no more replacing those finite assets.

Because as Nato kills Taliban members, they also kill innocent Afghan civilians, and when the dead person relatives then join the Taliban, the Taliban has a potential force of 31 million.

And the other bfdd delusion seems to be that this is a war, exactly the point, we won the war phase when we chased the Taliban out of Afghanistan in 2002. Now its a military occupation, and that has a totally different set of rules and objectives. But it involves winning the peace.

And just as the Taliban has a potential force of 31 million, so does Nato. But who will end up winning the hearts and minds of those 31 million people who are now basically sitting on the fence as simple Afghan villagers?

And as an earlier thread pointed out, most Afghan know and dislike Taliban rule, would prefer the pie and the Sky governance Nato has never tried to deliver, but hate the war and anarchy Nato has created even more strongly than they dislike the Taliban.

Nor does Nato stay anywhere to protect the Afghans who have helped Nato, and instead is busy running around creating more chaos and anarchy, and thus creating more Taliban faster than Nato can kill existing Taliban.

And that bfdd, is why we are losing in Afghanistan, we have forgotten to give 31 million Afghan people anything to point to as positive. We have given them a turd of a corrupt government, we have given them only anarchy, chaos, Corruption, and in an occupation on the total cheap, Nato has not invested the resources to do a better job than the miserable job we are doing now.

As they say, that would not play in Peoria, and that will not play anywhere else in the world either.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Zebo, one big reason we did not get Bin Laden, Al-Quida, and most of the Taliban leadership when we had them cornered at Tora Bora, is something you failed to mention.

And that fact is that Nato had not much in the way of ground troops and the real ground muscle in the Nato offensive was the newly rearmed Northern Alliance we allied on the enemy of my enemy is my friend principle.

And Rumsfeld and Bush got the bright idea of letting the wogs of the Northern Alliance do the dying in large numbers that digging them out of caves would entail.
Rather than get a large number of Nato troops killed.

And the Northern Alliance, the very corrupt rascals who made the Taliban look good, instead, decided its not our fight, and they raced home to resume their former drug and war lord corruption businesses the Taliban had stopped years before.

May 11, 2008
Your youtube link didn't work.

I took the liberty to remove your blah.

But i do am curious why the link did not work.
Did it have anything to do with a message as :

"This copyrighted content is not available in your country "

Because i myself have experienced such messages and i find that such bullshit of the record companies and youtube. Effectively censoring music and deciding who can hear what kind of music. I assume you live in the USA ? I think i read it somewhere you mentioning it but i might be wrong and confusing you with someone else. As such do not worry i am looking for you :) , i am not. I am just determining if there is another record company invoked censorship where they decide what people can listen too. I clicked the link and it worked immediately for me.

I live in Europe by the way.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I took the liberty to remove your blah.

But i do am curious why the link did not work.
Did it have anything to do with a message as :

"This copyrighted content is not available in your country "

Because i myself have experienced such messages and i find that such bullshit of the record companies and youtube. Effectively censoring music and deciding who can hear what kind of music. I assume you live in the USA ? I think i read it somewhere you mentioning it but i might be wrong and confusing you with someone else. As such do not worry i am looking for you :) , i am not. I am just determining if there is another record company invoked censorship where they decide what people can listen too. I clicked the link and it worked immediately for me.

I live in Europe by the way.

All I know is that I go to a youtube site and it says 'This video is not available'