Affirmative action for BOYS?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Seeing as how most colleges around the nation have higher percentages of females than male..is there going to be any initiative to give males an advantage in admissions?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I see boys today living off women. Seems to be a trend.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I wish I could jump onto that trend ;). Syringer, I think that is a good idea too bad my school is 52% male and 48% female (makes finding a bit a bit harder, too :( ).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Guys don't have the spine to tell the truth. You'll never get them to admit anything.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Guys don't have the spine to tell the truth. You'll never get them to admit anything.

Except you of course. See, that's what I love about generalizations like, "All Americans are stupid", posted by an American. Since those people never include themselves in the generalization, they have proven it wrong. Or maybe you do include yourself in the spineless group, eh Moonbeam? ;)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Syringer
Seeing as how most colleges around the nation have higher percentages of females than male..is there going to be any initiative to give males an advantage in admissions?

Wait, you want to fix this? Forget you buddy, I like the system just how it is.:D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Except you of course. See, that's what I love about generalizations like, "All Americans are stupid", posted by an American. Since those people never include themselves in the generalization, they have proven it wrong. Or maybe you do include yourself in the spineless group, eh Moonbeam? ;)

You silly dunce Rainsford, you'll never get me to admit anything. :D The thread was about admissions to college. My post was about admissions of guilt. It's called a pun.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I would like some affirmative action. My g//f is pregnant with my child, we both agreed beforehand we wanted this child. She has changed her mind and decided she wants an abortion, I want my child, where are my parental rights or do I not get any because I am a guy?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Even when you explain the inequality imposed on a species because of the accident of two sexes, some members are too dumb to comprehend that creates inequality of choice. Your real problem, Alistar, is that you're no judge of character and you should have gotten married. Do we really need more of those kinds of genes? :D

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
did i say g/f, i meant wife, we are married, does this give me any extra rights to have my child?

your opinion of my ability to judge anything is rather irrelevant moon, but I know it makes you feel special so you can believe it does, right along with the fact Gore won...

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
I would like some affirmative action. My g//f is pregnant with my child, we both agreed beforehand we wanted this child. She has changed her mind and decided she wants an abortion, I want my child, where are my parental rights or do I not get any because I am a guy?

IMHO, it's entirely up to her, being that eventually the kid is going to be squirting out of her, whether or not you're around.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
So even though I want my child and am willing to take care of it completely after it is born, she still has the right to abort?

What if the roles were reversed, we both agreed we did not want children and used 2 contraceptives to ensure it did not happen, but alas, she became pregnant. Of course she has changed her mind now that she knows for a fact she is preggy, now she wants to keep the child. I havent changed my mind, I do not, am I going to be held responsible to help take care of this child, even though the decision is not mine and if it were I would not have the child?

Why can she change her mind once her pregnancy is certain, but I cannot? Why am I held liable for decisions she makes when I have no "input?" :Q

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
it's about affirmative action based on gender, can you think of any other issue more relevant where there not are equal rights based solely on sex?

Notice the most common form of death for a pregnant mother in the US is murder, more often than not by the father of the child. This is our expression of our right to abort the only way the law allows, now we just have to figure out how to make them have our children when we want them, then we will be equal.....

Granted, people are just posting away on your intended limited topic.....
rolleye.gif

gender has nothing to do with intelligence, so that shouldn't be a factor, happy?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually, some schools have begun affirmative action for males. Based soley on the merits of their applications female applicants are superior.

During my last trip to SF, I enjoyed a few leisurely afternoons with a contract-consultant programmer who was laid off a series of $120K/yr jobs. His wife was off working at her $140K job. The gist of my comments,
man subjugated woman b/c we realized early on that they were smarter and worked harder . . . it was only a matter of time before they took over.
After lunch we talked about motorcycles, computers, and martial arts. When she came home after her 10hr day, she paid for a nice dinner.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
So even though I want my child and am willing to take care of it completely after it is born, she still has the right to abort?

What if the roles were reversed, we both agreed we did not want children and used 2 contraceptives to ensure it did not happen, but alas, she became pregnant. Of course she has changed her mind now that she knows for a fact she is preggy, now she wants to keep the child. I havent changed my mind, I do not, am I going to be held responsible to help take care of this child, even though the decision is not mine and if it were I would not have the child?

Why can she change her mind once her pregnancy is certain, but I cannot? Why am I held liable for decisions she makes when I have no "input?" :Q

You don't have any rights because fathers are not important or necessary for the creation of a child (sarcasm).

Sadly equal rights is rarely equal, many times it becomes some sort of "payback" rights for historical oppression of some kind, or "revenge" rights. Society will get it right one of these days and we'll realize that you can put as many band-aids over cancer as you want, but its going to keep growing until you go see a doctor.

The problem is fear dressed up as hatred. If we could make a law that got rid of hatred we could probably just make a law that got rid of "anything unsavory in our lives whatsoever". For homeland security we could just have a law that states "people that want to kill us are illegal." Then we wouldn't ever have to worry about anything. People's mentality needs to change and that takes a long time. Its getting significantly better with each generation. Affirmative Action or Reparations can help in the short term, but they can also hinder the long term problem. We can't do nothing at all though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Con, yes, I think reasonable people are trying to find reasonable solutions. All real world solutions have good and bad features. We try to find those with the most reasonable mix and adjust through time.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I don't think affirmative action would be needed for that. What I do think is BS is the fact that females are eligible for more scholarships than males. Filling out scholarship applications last year I came across one male only scholarship (a frat) but there were at least a dozen female only ones. Do they think it's easier for guys to pay for college than it is for girls?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
did i say g/f, i meant wife, we are married, does this give me any extra rights to have my child?

your opinion of my ability to judge anything is rather irrelevant moon, but I know it makes you feel special so you can believe it does, right along with the fact Gore won...
It gives you the right to divorce the bitch....so execise it if it truly bothers you. BTW, sorry I called your wife a bitch.

;)