Affinity Photo - Photo editor.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I've quasi been following Affinity photo for the past year; news of the product has been on DPReview and I've been intrigued by its low cost, no subscription and "photoshop clone"ish attributes.

I've never been a Photoshop user - don't know how to use it... but I know for some of the photos I've wanted to create, having a Photoshop level editor would be necessary.
Example: Compositing two photos; for some of my astrophotography, this would mean taking a very long, lower ISO image of the foreground, and compositing a shorter (no star trails) night sky photo with it.

Affinity had been Mac only up until the last few weeks, and the already low price of $49 is now an introductory low $39.

I watched bits and pieces of some tutorial videos, and it looks like it'll do what I want.
Plus, their version of "content aware clone" seems impressive.

So, I purchased it tonight and did some preliminary recon on it.

My first impressions are:
- This isn't a photo management system like LR is. To be honest, I really only use LR as a RAW editor, so it's not a big loss to me.
- Browsing folders full of RAW files, it takes about 1/4 second per photo to preview. Leaving a folder then returning, the previews are immediate. They must be doing some caching.
- Loading a RAW file is slow. I complain about LR taking 4-5 seconds to load and "settle down"; Affinity is taking at least 5-8 seconds to load a file.
- The flow is different - they sorta separate "raw processing" (what I consider LR) and their "pixel editing" into these items (a program mode) called "personas." I guess it makes sense.
- Shadows/Highlights work differently. The default Shadows/Highlights have a very narrow range of usefulness. If I hadn't read about the Shadow/Highlight *filter* mode, I would have immediately dismissed it as a raw editor. But the shadow/highlight *filter* is very powerful and ... on first blush, provides slightly *more* control than LR.
- Their dehaze is amazeballs. Literally, I would pay the $39 just to run its dehaze.

I haven't had a chance to try their content-aware-fill, but the videos I watched convinced me its very very good.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this to anyone who is already entrenched in the Adobe subscription model or is a Photoshop power user.

I'm not sure it's Photoshop "Elements" friendly enough.

But if you have no raw editor, no pixel level editor and have the stomach to watch a few youtube videos on how to learn this program, it might be the best $39 you can spend.

This is a sappy example that's overdone, but it's an example of what overdone it can overdue.

o_DSC5639.jpg

_DSC5639.jpg

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
Good to know about the software now available for windows, and particularly your personal experience with it.

I have an older version of PS that I dabble in occasionally, promising myself that I'll dive deeper one day. Some day. Maybe Affinity would be better for me.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
If you own PS, stick with that - it's surely more fully featured and finding help is ubiquitous.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I like it and I think for the price it's a no-brainer. Yeah, it doesn't replace Lightroom, but complements it well enough. Beats Gimp and Pixelmator (imo).

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I'm using Lightroom for my raw editing and file management and it's doing pretty much everything I really need at the moment. I also have an old copy of Photoshop 4 or 5 that still works if I need to a more advance editor. Since I have a sony I can also get a free copy of Capture One, which is similar to LR. While it's true that it takes some relearning to use a new tool, I just find CO's interface not intuitive at all. I tried it a few times and even forced myself to learn it since many people say it renders Sony's files much better but I just find myself going back to LR.

But at just $50 I think this might be a great alternative to PS. At the price they're charging I wouldn't expect optimal hardware optimization. Even with a 6 core Intel cpu, M.2 SSD, and 16gb ram, going from file to file is still about 2-3 seconds in LR for 24mp raws.