AF = lag?

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
When I have AF enabled on my GeForce4 Ti4400 there is a very noticable delay from when you move the mouse until you see the result on the screen. For example, I was playing BF1942 with 4xS AA and 8x AF with the preformance set to balanced in the drivers. If I move the mouse left it takes about 1/8 - 1/4 second until I see it move on the screen. Anybody know why?

zDmn

Feb 15, 2003
things like that happened to me on counter-strike and ut2k3. all i had to do was reinstall. that fixed it for me. but the fact that it only laggs like that when you have AF on high is odd. if thats not it, then you are probably just getting some fps lagg. thats the best i can do. hope you find the prob

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Try fiddling around with V-Sync.
I used to have lag problems with my GF3, changed the V-Sync setting, and they went away.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Make sure vsync and triple buffering is disabled. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers for your system and make sure you don't have any background programs running.

I was playing BF1942 with 4xS AA and 8x AF with the preformance set to balanced in the drivers
Are you sure you're not confusing lag with jerkiness? Those settings are rather ridiculous for a Ti4400, especially in a modern game like BF1942.

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them out.

Under the advanced settings for Direct3d in the driver control panel there is an option to "Render no more than (x) number of frames ahead" this is defaulted to 3 so I changed it to 0 thinking that maybe due to the increased processing load that rendering frames ahead took too long to get out of the frame buffer in real time. I then discovered that this had no affect on the lagging.

My 1.2ghz Athlon is so slow that even running 4xS AA and 8x AF on the balanced setting produces a higher frame rate than my processor can compute anyway.

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: BFG10K

Are you sure you're not confusing lag with jerkiness? Those settings are rather ridiculous for a Ti4400, especially in a modern game like BF1942.

Nope, when I move the mouse it takes a certin amount of time for the result to be seen on screen. It gets about 30fps with everything maxed at 1024x768@32.