Aero effects are in slow motion

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I have a computer with Windows 7 Professional and a GTX 460 card. The Windows 7 animation have been running slowly over the past couple of days. I'm not sure what it is. I thought it was the Nvidia card or HDD but when I ran the Windows Experience Index it came out HIGHER than before for the HDD (and stayed at 7.9 for the graphics card). This problem has been happening for the past month. It goes away when I do an F8 and choose "Last Known Good COnfiguration" but that did not work this time. The computer runs the same as before except when it comes to games, videos, and Aero. I think this problem may have started when I upgraded the Nvidia video drivers last month but I'm not 100% positive. Any help would be appreciated...

EDIT: I would also like to add that the POST process also slows to a crawl whenever this happens as well. And this is before the computer even boots into Windows.

Last edited:

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Give system spec. plz. and i would say if it all started after nvidia upgrade.that is probably the cause.did you do a clean install.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Give system spec. plz. and i would say if it all started after nvidia upgrade.that is probably the cause.did you do a clean install.

System spec is i7 870 at 2.93 Ghz, 8GB Memory, 2 HDDs in Raid 1, several other HDDs, and the GTX 460.

I have no interest in doing a clean install because I have a lot of important programs and, besides, I'll be building a new computer anyway. I want to believe it's the Nvidia drivers but the problem starts before the computer boots into Windows. The POST process is very slow.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Shut the system down and check all of the cables, addin cards, and DRAM modules, making sure they are tightly seated. Then restart the system -- as soon as the desktop comes up, make a note of the system time in the system tray. Check the Windows system log for any warnings or errors occurring in the 5 minutes prior to the noted time (it probably wouldn't hurt to check the application log as well). Were it me, I would also download diagnostic software from the web site of the hard drive manufacturer to check for problems along with running a MEMTEST86+ session to boot.

You might also consider uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers (you might need to manually uninstall the nVidia driver before reinstalling -- Google it if you don't know how). If it doesn't seem to fix the problem, you might consider jumping back to the prior driver revision to see if it might be a bug in the current driver.

Last edited:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest ones (beta, this time). WHen I rebooted, the problem was still there. So I turned off the computer last night and put the power supply switch to "off". When I woke up this morning and turned on the computer, everything is working fine again. Not sure what is wrong.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
scan for malware. You might be infected. Download GPU-Z or EVGA Precision Legacy version, and check the GPU utilization. If it is high when the computer is idle, then you may be part of a distributed-computing botnet. Your computer could be cracking passwords for criminals.

Edit: Although, that doesn't explain slow POST. Try removing all USB devices, except for mouse/keyboard.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
scan for malware. You might be infected. Download GPU-Z or EVGA Precision Legacy version, and check the GPU utilization. If it is high when the computer is idle, then you may be part of a distributed-computing botnet. Your computer could be cracking passwords for criminals.

Edit: Although, that doesn't explain slow POST. Try removing all USB devices, except for mouse/keyboard.

GPU load fluctuates between 1-4%...
I've scanned for viruses and malware using MalwareBytes, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and MSE. Nothing has come up. This problem has been happening on and off for a month now.

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
ctrl/alt/del and open a task manager. See if it gives you any clues under 'processes'. Could be some random (unknown) program that is taking your CPU cycles. Also, go through your 'add/remove' programs list and see if there's anything in there that you don't think should be.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
I updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest ones (beta, this time). WHen I rebooted, the problem was still there. So I turned off the computer last night and put the power supply switch to "off". When I woke up this morning and turned on the computer, everything is working fine again. Not sure what is wrong.

Maybe the CPU/GPU is overheating/throttling. Check your CPU/GPU temps.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
How is it doing that when I rarely use it for what it was made for? It was acting up again today. My wife turned on the computer Friday and today and it was slow as hell. I came home later in the day and turned it on and it was slow as well. When I turned off the computer, turned the power switch off and on and restarted the computer, it was normal again.