Advise on course of action in this situation ....

Untamo

Banned
Mar 25, 2000
I shipped product to a member here. I shipped via USPS Priortiy w/NO insurance or confirmation. This was the shipping of choice from buyer and I didnt think to put some on there at time of shipping. Now as you would guess the package has not been recieved, and the buyer has stated that the post office has failed to deliver.

Now what would the correct course of action be?
Keep in mind these points and questions.
1. I can produce a reciept showing I paid for an item shipped to that zip code, via priority mail. This proves item was shipped.
2. USPS Will not replace anything not insured or w/delivery confirmation.
3. Buyer was away on vacation for a week when product was supposed to be deliverd.
Possibilities...
1. Product arrived and was "taken" from someone within the household, or from outside the household.
2. I'm lieing - Reciept determines this wrong.
3. Buyer is lieing - I believe this buyer to be telling the truth.
4. Mailman/woman is a thief

In any event, what would the correct course of action be to be fair to BOTH parties.

Roger? Any suggestions? Anyone?

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think you would be in the clear since the buyer choose to have it shipped without tracking or insurance

Celstar

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Well, it is the seller's responsibility to ensure that the packages arrive at their final destination. When you did not choose to buy either insurance or confirmation service (its only 30 odd cents extra) I think you're ultimately liable for the loss.

On the bright side... if the post office did fail to deliver, you can expect to get your package back. Whenever that will be. Is USPS very good about returned packages?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Untamo, it's generally expected that the seller takes the required steps to ensure delivery to the buyer. I personally will refuse to ship a package worth more than $50 without insurance. Below that, I'm self insured. I always, without fail purchase delivery confirmation for .35 more. That way I know if a dispute arises, I can look up the confirmation and see if the post office shows it was delivered. Since you received funds, you bear the obligation of product delivery. Since you did not cover your arse, you would be found liable in any court. I have been given this information directly from Lawyers I know, and infact, that very information caused me to change how I was doing things before I got myself in a situation. Sometimes things take too long to get delivered also. Have you given it adequate time?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I would suggest you try to contact the post office and speak to the carrier. If there is a regular carrier on at the time he or she will likely remember if the package arrived or not, or can check with replacements to see if they know.

P.O.W.

Feb 8, 2000
well you should have eaten the 35 cents and got delivery confirmation. If the person did not want delivery confirmation (since he has to sign for the package), you should have passed on the deal. Not worth the headache since it is too easy for someone to do exactly what they did to you. Its just to easy for someone to say they never got the package.

Untamo
First off,did the trader state he was going away for a week before you shipped it to him? It is the shippers responsibility to insure the package and make sure it gets to the buyers house.When you ship with delivery conformation,you are required to sign for the package.If the postal wotker just drops it off,then he/she is not doing thier job.That's what delivery confirmation means,you have to sign for,to confirm delivery.I always ship with insurance,no matter what.This protects me as well as the buyer,it costs little to do and gives you a good name as a trader.

Email me at connrog@startrekmail.com
or message me

Untamo

Banned
Mar 25, 2000
Much appreciated. I agree on the delivery + insurance. I ship all packages this way now. I am not in dispute with the buyer, he did tell me he was going out of town before I shipped. It was due to arrive on Tuesday, he had left Monday, to be back the following Monday. I will work it out, and should I need some more help, I'll let everyone know. Thanks to everyone!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Roger, when you ship with delivery confirmation, you are not required to sign for the parcel. The mailman scans it and can leave it. An insured parcel in another matter. You can also ask for a return receipt which must be signed on delivery and is sent back to the sender. If you wanted to obtain maximum security, you can register a parcel. It is signed for, person to person, by postal employees all through it's trip, including the recipient.