Advise from anyone have replaced car headlight bulbs

NormanTheCow

Sep 21, 2000
I just bought the silverstar lightbulb 9005 ST, 65 watts.

I would like to replace my old lights..which is only the factory ones, 9006 55 watts.

My car manual says it should use 9006 55 watts HB4 halogen bulbs.

Would this be ok??

Thx!!

NormanTheCow

Sep 21, 2000
Oh...another related question:

Is HB3 bulb ok to replace HB4?

Because the new bulb is HB3, and old one is HB4.

Is HB3 used for high beam and HB4 for low beam only?? I have no idea....

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I use H4.. no clue on the other bulbs..

I hope you didn't pay too much for those Silverstars though.. I know a few people who had em and they've gone out in a few months time.

NormanTheCow

Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Imported
I hope you didn't pay too much for those Silverstars though.. I know a few people who had em and they've gone out in a few months time.

That worries me...i just bought 2 of them for $40 with $10 rebate.

I certainly hope it'll last more than couple months or even a year, because I've never had to replace my factory bulbs..which is about 5 years now :)

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
So it was $30 after MIR? Not bad still. If they're like my Phillips Vision+ bulbs (which I believe they are), they'll light up the road very nice. :)

NormanTheCow

Sep 21, 2000
oops..i just tried to install it..HB3 bulb does not fit to HB4...

I guess I have to buy another 2 Silverstars thats HB4 and use these for the high beams...doh ;p

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
remember not to touch the bulb with your fingers. It can cause the bulb to burn out too quickly.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Those silverstars did burn out pretty quick for me. I had the CoolBlues in my car but then I got some really nice "Xenons" that aren't blinding or blue and I put the CoolBlues in the parents' Camry. Naturally, they haven't even noticed:p

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
You can go to Silviania's (sp?) website and they have a configurator on there that will tell you what bulbs to buy for your vehicle.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NormanTheCow
oops..i just tried to install it..HB3 bulb does not fit to HB4...

I guess I have to buy another 2 Silverstars thats HB4 and use these for the high beams...doh ;p

I was gonna say, you have to match the exact model/size bulb.

Silverstars supposedly burn out real fast. I got a set of sylvania xtravisions and they're pretty bright but not the bluish color.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Those silverstars did burn out pretty quick for me. I had the CoolBlues in my car but then I got some really nice "Xenons" that aren't blinding or blue and I put the CoolBlues in the parents' Camry. Naturally, they haven't even noticed:p

Some guys I know are like, "coolblues are not cool and they're not blue."

I think they are whiter than stock, but it's hard to tell unless you have them side by side against stock.