Advice thread: I'm considering opening a used car dealership

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: mchammer
No experience in car sales, plenty of heatware.

:thumbsup:

I almost fell out of my chair!
But it got me thinking. I own lots of clothes. Maybe I'll start designing and put Versace out of business.

I'm interested in financing your business. Whats your heat and ebay feedback?

Heat in sig.
Sucky Ebay

Hmm.. I'm sorry, I can not finance someone who is picky and complains too much. But if you follow Rightwingers plan you can be a millionaire in 20 years. Seems foolproof to me.

Hmmm... My wife is the Finance/Internet Manager for a Chevrolet dealership...

You're sittin on a goldmine baby.

Nah, she's in the other room.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001

But it got me thinking. I own lots of clothes. Maybe I'll start designing and put Versace out of business.

Heat in sig.
Sucky Ebay

Hmm.. I'm sorry, I can not finance someone who is picky and complains too much. But if you follow Rightwingers plan you can be a millionaire in 20 years. Seems foolproof to me.

:beer:

imthebadguy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2004
make sure the name doesnt starte with honest (i.e. Honest Rightwingers Cars) on a side note, my family dosent believe in used cars, its just someone else's problems that youre buying

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

Heat in sig.
Sucky Ebay

I may one day go into business with her and build a website. We bought the domain and Ross is hosting it. I just haven't done anything with it sinnce she is working at the dealership. Some day...
Infinite Auto

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001

Heat in sig.
Sucky Ebay

I may one day go into business with her and build a website. We bought the domain and Ross is hosting it. I just haven't done anything with it sinnce she is working at the dealership. Some day...
Infinite Auto

Hmm.. will it be like vehix? Seems like theres already enough sites for that. GOnna have to find something original. It'd be cool if you got it off teh ground into something big.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
...snip...
Hmm.. will it be like vehix? Seems like theres already enough sites for that. GOnna have to find something original. It'd be cool if you got it off teh ground into something big.
I am trying to get a different name, but the guy keeps re-newing it.
She knows commerical vehicles really well and that's what we would do.
1 tons and up with UBs and racks.

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
You also have to think about insurance costs. You'll probably need a special type of dealer plate insurance. That's not cheap either.

Rightwinger

Banned
Aug 7, 2004
Originally posted by: geckojohn
You also have to think about insurance costs. You'll probably need a special type of dealer plate insurance. That's not cheap either.

5k a year, or in other words: The average insurance bill for a family with three teenage drivers.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Rightwinger
Originally posted by: geckojohn

5k a year, or in other words: The average insurance bill for a family with three teenage drivers.

I paid $3400/yr for myself alone...

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
On the BHPH lots, at least on the less expensive cars, what you require as a downpayment is usually what you have in the car.

I personally wouldn't want a BHPH lot, but to each his own. There's lots of money in it.
Just don't make the mistake of buying cars to stock that lot that aren't really good deals just to have the stock. Don't put too much in trade-ins. Most trades bring
"rough condition" Black book prices, regardless of what the person trading the car in thinks he/she's REALLY getting for it.
If you can buy for those prices, and don't mind keeping up with a bunch of low-lifes who owe you money, go for it.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: jadinolf
Originally posted by: Tylanner
"I owe it to myself to tell you that if you're taking the whole tribe cross-country, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster is the way to go. You think you hate it now, but just wait until you drive it."
huh?

:D