Advice on which college loan to take out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
That really is the only option. Either get legal, or get out. When I was trying to get loans for school it was a pain. in. the. ass. I had to get a relative, who I hadn't talked to in years, to cosign for me. So really, fuck you. You're no worse off than some of us.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
OP: If this is true, I'm surprised you came here looking for advice. Did you think no one here would talk about if you're here legally or not?

You were being ignorant if that is the case, it's one of the biggest topics in the country.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
You can get a student visa, if you are such a good student you should be able to qualify for one.

Circlenaut

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Imported
Originally posted by: potoba
hmm, dont be harsh, people...

Thats easy to say when you haven't been denied financial aid. I'm sorry, but if you're an illegal and getting financial aid, thats fucked up.

Maybe you just don't have the mental prowess that he does? He did say scholarships and most scholarships are merit based. Looks like you just didn't have enough merit or uncle same decided you make too much.

Hey I was illegal for most of my time in the us. I was brought here at the age of 1 and have stayed here ever since. It wasn't until recently when I married my U.S. citizen wife that I'm in the process of gaining legal residency. But I was able to get through college. I actually go to a private university. 75% of my tuition is paid for by private scholarships or merit school scholarships. The rest I either work for or borrowed using my sister as a co-signer.

It's just amazing that you people lack any sympathy. Don't group every illegal immigrant with being a criminal Mexican. Do you realize that most of these "college" lechers were brought here at a very young age and know almost nothing about their old culture! Except for legal status they are in almost every way like 1st generation Americans. What if one day you find out you're illegal here in the U.S. and told to pack and leave to this foreign country. You'd be lucky if you could speak the language. These kids are the product of their parent's mistake. Don't blame them. Solve the problem so these kinds of things don't happen. I agree, seal the border and enforce current laws but sympathize with these kids. In my opinion they're the subject of human trafficking and there are laws protecting those.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Sorry but I agree with everyone else, if you are illegal and getting scholarships to go to school, you are abusing this country and deserve to be kicked out. It's because of this problem that people who do actually pay taxes and contribute to this country can't get scholarships because they're being abused by others. Around here, deserving children of tax paying parents can't get their child into an early bird class to help them learn with a bit more personalized attention can't get into the class because it's overrun by mexicans, who just happened to not have any papers to show the school but when get accused of being illegal say they'll raise up a roar if anything is said about it.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Pippy

Thats easy to say when you haven't been denied financial aid. I'm sorry, but if you're an illegal and getting financial aid, thats fucked up.

Maybe you just don't have the mental prowess that he does? He did say scholarships and most scholarships are merit based. Looks like you just didn't have enough merit or uncle same decided you make too much.

Hey I was illegal for most of my time in the us. I was brought here at the age of 1 and have stayed here ever since. It wasn't until recently when I married my U.S. citizen wife that I'm in the process of gaining legal residency. But I was able to get through college. I actually go to a private university. 75% of my tuition is paid for by private scholarships or merit school scholarships. The rest I either work for or borrowed using my sister as a co-signer.

It's just amazing that you people lack any sympathy. Don't group every illegal immigrant with being a criminal Mexican. Do you realize that most of these "college" lechers were brought here at a very young age and know almost nothing about their old culture! Except for legal status they are in almost every way like 1st generation Americans. What if one day you find out you're illegal here in the U.S. and told to pack and leave to this foreign country. You'd be lucky if you could speak the language. These kids are the product of their parent's mistake. Don't blame them. Solve the problem so these kinds of things don't happen. I agree, seal the border and enforce current laws but sympathize with these kids. In my opinion they're the subject of human trafficking and there are laws protecting those.
Being here illegal is criminal so therefore he and YOU YOURSELF are criminals. I feel most sorry for those that waited their turn and got into this country LEGALLY having to listen to you people whine about needing college loans after soaking up scholarships legal citizens should be in line to get first.

Circlenaut

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade

Being here illegal is criminal so therefore he and YOU YOURSELF are criminals. I feel most sorry for those that waited their turn and got into this country LEGALLY having to listen to you people whine about needing college loans after soaking up scholarships legal citizens should be in line to get first.

Rofl, according to the U.S. gov't I'm no criminal. It's excused after I married my wife. All those years of illegal stay :D

Circlenaut

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
how did you even get a scholarship without a SSN?

how did you even do your FAFSA without your SSN?

....somethings wrong here -_-

You don't fill out a fafsa and private schools can decide what they want to do with their money. Dunno if he goes to a state or private but I go to a private uni.

Circlenaut

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Well I found a Jaime Sifuentes that goes to MIT (that's in Cambridge,MA). Dunno how that matches with the $8500 in tuition though. If that's him, I as a future U.S. citizen want him in our country.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh...well, you are in a tough situation. Even though I came here legally with my family, I sympathize with your situation because I have met many kids like you and it truly made me appreciate the life I have and my parents that did everything in their reach to give my family a better life and bring us here legally so we wouldn't have to live what you are living. I know that you are one of those kids that want to progress in life and call this country their home. As others have said, your parents broke the rules of this country, but you should not pay for that. I am saying this as a legal US resident that had to pay his own way through college ( and 0 debt so far) working and studying, my parents do well financially (fortunately because they deserve it) and I did not qualify for any student grant and I never liked loans because I knew I could pay them myself while studying. I am not going to lie, I did miss out a lot of stuff in college but it's the sacrifize I had to make to keep studying (On the good side I will have lots of experience in my field when I graduate in December). Don't let other people put you down for something you had not control over, many will say that you don't deserve to be here, that you should be kicked out, that you are a criminal. Nonetheless, it is the same people that are quick to judge to others without looking themselves in the mirror first. It is the same people who cannot fathom that there is gray area in every law that it's passed and that sadly you fall in that area. They will probably never understand what you are going through. To an extent, I can't fully understand it either. But I still remember when I was in high school, the faces of good kids who gave up their hopes of going to college because they didn't have papers (they never talked about it but the reasons just seemed very obvious).

I do not condone what you parents did, but you have to keep going ahead. You will have to make sacrifizes, if you don't have enough money right now, you 'll have to take less classes than planned. Take solace in the fact that you are in the same situation that many citizens and legal residents are in (including myself).

Good luck

Edit: If you are really Jaime Sifuentes that goes to MIT, then that's really awesome for you. I just hope one day you'll be able to legalize your status.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Well I found a Jaime Sifuentes that goes to MIT (that's in Cambridge,MA). Dunno how that matches with the $8500 in tuition though. If that's him, I as a future U.S. citizen want him in our country.

He goes to Texas A&M.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000

MIT is private and around $30000 per year.