Advice on what to do with my xbox

Tipnmo101

Sep 18, 2000
I bought an xbox in december and now it is developing problems, i just got off the phone with microsoft and they want 100 + tax + shipping to fix it. If i try and fix it or have an unauthorized repair service work on it microsoft wont touch it. The xbox sometimes will only start to a screen telling me that my xbox needs service and the light on front will flash red. Other times it will start perfectly and i wont have any problems with it. Once i was able to get the xbox to work by hitting the top of it somewhat forcefully. Occasionally the tray will not open when the light is flashing red, other times it will. Now my question is, could it be something as simple as an ide cable coming loose? Should i open it up and take the chance of microsoft not accepting it? I move my xbox alot, and i have always been kind of worried that i might damage the hdd, i also wouldnt mind upgrading the hdd with a mod chip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
thx
ian

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
mod it.

this way, it will force you to open up the xbox and check for any irregularities. if both still fails, buy a new one.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
use it until it dies, then buy a new one

game consoles are throw away/consumer items, not worth paying to get fixed

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ah, the joy of consoles with mechanical parts, which is basically all of em:) think about how many times pc parts die on you:p pretty often. then again consoles are dirt cheap. you could probably ebay it as broken, some people buy to fix. or for parts.

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
Its probably a bad hard drive. mod it and put a new one one.
or you can just send it to me. :)

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Ya, just buy another . It's not that much more. Maybe you can get a used one with ebgames or try trading yours into ebgames for some games. Then go buy yourself another xbox.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Hitting it is good, but I hear that whacking it full force with a basketball is the true test of stability.