Advice on RTX 2060

MStewart40

Aug 17, 2021
Hi I have a question, as stated I have a NVidia GeForce RTX 2060, which I have tried to overclock using MSI Afterburner, with step by step instructions yet no matter how I try it becomes unstable even when allowing Afterburner to do it on it's own. Is there some reason this GPU won't overclock? admittedly I'm a know nothing when it comes to overclocking and advice is very much welcome! My specs are

windows 10, Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core 3.80 GHz, SSD 1TB, 32GB DDR4 3000, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GDDR6, 500watt power. I purchased this pc for PCVR gaming but I'm finding the fps really are poor in DCS world and IL-2 using Oculus Quest 2 headset. Thanks

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Is it a prebuilt PC? Or one you put together?

My opinion is the 2060 is going to suffer in VR, its a awesome 1080p card. Its short some vram at high resolutions and lacking some oomph for all those pixels. Does either application offer DLSS? That might be your saving grace.

Last edited:
Reactions: MStewart40

MStewart40

Aug 17, 2021
Thankyou for the information and advice, I thought as much, just needed to hear it from someone a lot more PC savvy then myself. It's a prebuilt from SkyTech.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Thankyou for the information and advice, I thought as much, just needed to hear it from someone a lot more PC savvy then myself. It's a prebuilt from SkyTech.

Ha, sorry for the garbled reply there, I was in a hurry at work ;)

I think if you can use some resolution scaling (DLSS) you can get by, but I really think VR will eat up all the card you can buy right now so don't feel too bad. It's really a 6800+ or 3080+ world for VR at anything approaching high frame rates it seems.

Just to say it again - the 2060 is solid card but this is a big challenge. I don't think an OC is going get around that. What I might do, if I were you, is to learn more about that 500W PSU. The borderline instability at anything over stock clocks could mean a bum card (it might already be factory OC'd as many 2060's were out of the box, what are its clocks?), it could also mean that your PSU isn't up to the challenge.

Given how cheap a PSU is right now and how hard it is to get a new GPU, I'd seriously consider a higher end, slightly higher wattage unit for peace of mind. There are solid EVGA Supernova units for $50-$60 semi-regularly at Amazon.

That said, my personal experience with VR is limited.

I wanted the AMD 6800 for Alyx which I've played all of about three hours of because of the intensity, and I also have a older Quest 1 hooked up via long USB3 cable. The 6800 seems to crush it, the lower resolution/refresh rate panels are probably easier to drive.

It seems like the internals of the Quest 2 and the build of the Quest 1 would be the best of both worlds...

Last edited:
Reactions: MStewart40