Question Advice on no Display problem

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Hi All
Im pretty experienced at putting pc's together, but would never consider myself an expert, so here i am looking for some expert advice. I had an littel itx build running a 3400g apu on an asrock ab350 fatality motherboard, 16gig crucial vengeance ddr4 and an 500gig nvme. all in a little inwin Chopin case.
Now it was running fine for nearly 2 years then about a week ago i switched it on and am getting no display. I did all the usual steps bread boarding the system pulling the memory trying each stick in different slots, tried a different psu all to no avail.
I ended up ordering a new motherboard thinking that would solve the problem as it being an apu im using the hdmi used to connect to display are on the actual motherboard so as it was a display issue i thought maybe the hdmi outputs had developed a fault. Well it still gave me same problem motherboard powers up cpu fans spin but still no display, im now leaning towards the cpu being dead so am thinking to order a new apu, what do you think my next step should be, Oh i also tried plugging a 1030gt in to the motherboards and get something to display that way but no joy.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
New PSU? New motherboard? Tried a discrete card in the slot?

Yeah, other than RAM (did you attached a beeper speaker, and pull ALL of the RAM, and try to power-on, does it beep?), it sounds like the problem is the APU. I would try some new / alternative RAM too, before RMA'ing the APU, but you might have to do that, I believe if purchased retail, that they have a 3-year warranty from AMD, in the USA at least.

Reactions: jaxter

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
New PSU? New motherboard? Tried a discrete card in the slot?

Yeah, other than RAM (did you attached a beeper speaker, and pull ALL of the RAM, and try to power-on, does it beep?), it sounds like the problem is the APU. I would try some new / alternative RAM too, before RMA'ing the APU, but you might have to do that, I believe if purchased retail, that they have a 3-year warranty from AMD, in the USA at least.

Ooooh i didnt know it came with a 3 year warranty, it was indeed brought retail so i shall look into that, i have some ddr4 i can pull from my gaming pc to test out, ill try to pick up a beeper speaker, i really do need one as im always having to troubleshoot one pc or another.
Thanks for the input, at least i know my next steps now and to look into rma'ing the apu, in normal times you would of course just snapped up the cheapest am4 socket apu on ebay, but the prices for even the trashiest is ridiculously ott at the moment.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Probably a stupid question, but since you didn't mention it here goes. Monitors can develop a bad input port, used to see it all the time at work. Have you tried changing the system over to another input port on the monitor, as well as swapping out the HDMI cable, and also testing the monitor on another system?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Probably a stupid question, but since you didn't mention it here goes. Monitors can develop a bad input port, used to see it all the time at work. Have you tried changing the system over to another input port on the monitor, as well as swapping out the HDMI cable, and also testing the monitor on another system?

Yes i have tried multiple hdmi cables 1 old hdmi 1.4 and 3 different hdmi 2.0 i am actually connected to my lg oled through a marantz 7010 and i have swapped between the 7 hdmi ports on the receiver all to no avail.
Im typing now on the same said oled which is displaying the picture from an old HP i7 circa 2014 corporate machine i picked up on ebay about 2 weeks before my pc went down, i added 4gig of memory taking it up to 8gig a 500gb Samsung 860 evo as a boot drive a 4 terrabyte mechanical drive in place of the 500gb one it came with and a 1050ti low profile and its been performing like a champ for emulation and as my temp daily driver.
I do have an AOC monitor in the house my other half uses to do her work on i will stop being lazy and give them a go on that later,

Last edited:

jaxter

Feb 2, 2012
Hi all
A little update, i finally pulled my finger out and started troubleshooting this problem again, started by trying confirmed working memory from my gaming pc, no joy.
i grabbed the monitor from upstairs and lo and behold got display from both motherboards on the monitor, plugged back into the marantz weirdly i get display if i use the hdmi that my other 2 pc's are currently using but nothing from the remaining 5 hdmi in ports,
baffled i am.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER