Advice on new build or upgrade

uhntissbaby111

Jan 28, 2009
This is my current build. i7 4770k @4.4, 670gtx, 8gb DDR3, MSI GD-65 gaming.
This past week i delivered 3 shocks to my PC via my joystick. Im up in north dakota and the dry air is causing static to build up like crazy on me. Ever since, my PC has been screwy. Itll boot just fine, i can run programs, mouse and keyboard work. But non of my game controllers are working right. Ill plug in my x52 joystick and the lights will come on, with the exception of the MFD light, and the PC will recognize it, but the saitek software doesnt recognize it. My yoke, wont function at all, and same with my steering wheel. I tried all new drivers, flashing the bios, nothing. Actually flashing the bios made it worse

So heres the situation. I have $900 max to spend. Going on new egg, it looks like i can almost get a new build. I would reuse the 670gtx until i can save for a new one. And keep the case, PSU, and SSD that i use for my flight sim install. And get a 7700k, was looking at a gigabyte z170x gaming 7 mobo, 16gb ddr4, cpu fan, a new HD for the OS, and the OS itself. And that would be $850

OR, i was thinking. I could just replace the current mobo, assuming that is what the issue is, i dont see what else could be problem. i doubt its a CPU issue? And if i just replace the MOBO, i could use the money i save and get a 1070 GPU. I would also need a new OS.

Just looking for some thoughts on what route is better. and also, any last ditch efforts to save the current rig? but like i said, i tried just about everything i could think of and im pretty positive something is fried

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It is possible that you damaged your USB header. Have you tried just switching to a different USB header? If you are using the USB 3.0 header try switching to the UBS2.0, or vise versa. If that works then all you really need is a good USB hub.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
What about spending the money on a new joystick? Since that's what seems to be broken....