Advice on moving out

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I'm moving out of my apartment complex into a town house with a garage (YES!!!). Anyways, I have around $2100 in security deposit with my current place - what's the best way to make sure I get all of it back? I was gonna fill in the holes I made by hanging stuff. Anything else I should do?

There's also crack in one of the closet doors - is there anyway to fix it? Is that something that apartment complexes charge you for when you move out? Either way - I'm so excited I'm moving out!!!!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Make sure carpets are not stained. Borrow/rent a carpet cleaner about two weeks before you move out --or, with enough time for the carpets to completely dry before you move out. My old appartment complex has a team come through and repaint, light cleaning, etc. after each tennant leaves each time. In my situation, simply using mud and tape and sanding down the holes was fine for them. The best thing to do is to go to the appartment complex management's office and ask if you can have someone come through before you move out and have them TELL you what you need to fix in order to get your security deposit back.