Advice on HTPC setup

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Greetings all,

I have some questions regarding an HTPC I am setting up for my brother.
I recently won an HP proliant Micro server N40l barebones kit with Windows server 2012 foundation.

I know it’s fairly sparse on features but it seems it has the makings of a nice quiet Htpc. I have loads of experience with Windows 7 variations but none with server 2012.My goals are as follows for the Htpc.

Run as a NAS and a media center. I use the term media center loosely as I would be happy to just be able to run and access the media whether its videos or pictures from my brothers MacBook, Ipad2 and all the IPhones in the house.

I am going to be adding an Ati 6450 Low profile, DVD writer (he has 2 Blu-ray devices) and a 2TB green series WD hard drive. I will also most likely be installing more memory up from the base 2gig up to 4. Last but not least I will be using a USB based Wireless card for wireless connectivity.

Since it’s the foundation version of Server it has no Vm built in. Does that mean I cannot install any form of VMware? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have an N40L that I use as a windows home server. It's a VERY good setup for a tiny little server box, but I don't see it as a great setup for an HTPC. Couldn't you sell it, and get something better with the proceeds? You could easily buy a MB, CPU, case, and memory for a few hundred bucks.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I have an N40L that I use as a windows home server. It's a VERY good setup for a tiny little server box, but I don't see it as a great setup for an HTPC. Couldn't you sell it, and get something better with the proceeds? You could easily buy a MB, CPU, case, and memory for a few hundred bucks.

I considered that but I live in South Africa and its not quite as easy. The barebones N40l doesnt sell for that much. I would like to try and make a go of this case + Windows server 2012 if possible. :D

Last edited: