Advice on a portable monitor

novarag

Jun 29, 2014
Hey guys first post on here but i remember reading alot of reviews from this website and its one of the few websites i find that gets to what i actually need/want to know.
Ill get to the point, im a technician that specializes in computer repair. At my job im expected to diagnose fix and notate 1 computer per hour, so u can imagine im fixing 20-30 of them at a time and im getting a bit of slow down when working with multiple desktops at a time due to lack of video. KVMs and me have bad blood, honestly I've sworn them off all together, simply to many variables to produce accurate diagnostics. What ive been using to help speed things up is just a cheep 18in monitor with the stand pulled off but this method feels kinda unprofessional and im still tethered to the wall
So if anyone wants to give me a recommendation, i need it to be vga, under 13in and have a rechargeable battery. but those are really the only things that matter, dont care about video quality, brightness, refresh rate. just need something with an image.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
I would probably hunt on eBay for a used 13-15" LCD. It'd probably be 4:3 and not widescreen, but it doesn't sound like that's a problem for you.

Otherwise, you can get a ~12" laptop LCD and an inverter board kit. (eBay again.) They're often sold as Raspberry Pi accessories. But you'd want some kind of housing for it, probably.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
15.6" HDMI/VGA w/ batteryhttp://www.amazon.com/Portable-Monit.../dp/B00H4MWMX0

there are more options for usb-powered monitors, but that won't help you when you need to go to BIOS/UEFI

there is also the atrix lapdock (11.6" screen w/ battery, hdmi out, so you need a vga->hdmi converter which may require a power source and result in bad video quality)

Last edited:

novarag

Jun 29, 2014
yea id want to stay clear of anything that needs an conversion from digital to analog. always want to keep as many variables out of the equation but i think you might be onto something with the raspberry pie monitor. was able to track down this http://www.amazon.com/Tontec-Raspber.../dp/B00G60FJNG and that does meat everything i need it to but id need to find a way to get a battery on it......