Question Advice on a new PC build please

Shargrath

May 25, 2009
Hello Everyone,

Decided to upgrade my, now 7 year old PC build. Some of the components aren't holding up recently and I think the motherboard might be going. Just looked at some parts and guides and want some advice if everything looks good or anything that can get changed.

To answer the questions linked in the sticky,

"
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

- Mostly gaming, not looking to game in 4k or VR or anything. Standard fare like yearly COD games, RPGs etc. Also do some minor CAD work with Autocad/Inventor etc.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Around $700 for the parts Im looking for (I am reusing a bunch from my current pc)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

United States.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
No brand preferences.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Yes.
Will be reusing,
Gigabyte 750H PSU (less than a year old, the PSU I had in my system bit the dust after 6 years)
Radeon RX 580 Video Card (Video card prices are ridic right now and I can wait, card is also under 1 year old, the previous PSU blew the old card along with itself.)
Thermaltake Full Size ATX case.
Samsung 320GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB Hard Drive
Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Default speed, not overclocking.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

1920x1080 for general use, in games I generally use lower resolutions.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it? "
This month/ASAP.

This is the parts I've been looking at,

Ryzen 7 3700X
AsRock B550
(Bundle here, https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4229967&quicklink=true )
Crucial 16GB Ram (https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164173)
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro/p/N82E16832350412)
(currently using Windows 7, but can't upgrade it. It's on a license from my college and they no longer offer OS software to students, and the software I have won't be upgraded)

Is it worth it to go up to 32GB for the RAM?
Can somebody give me feedback if everything will play well together or suggest any better alternatives? I don't really keep up with tech that much in terms of PC Building.

Thank You!

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Looks pretty solid. Only thing I would definitely recommend is to buy a cheaper windows 10 pro key online, and use the media creation tool to make your own bootable flash drive for the install. YMMV, but you shouldn't need to spend $200 on windows. There should be much cheaper keys out there.

As for the RAM, hard to say if you need 32GB or not. The kit you selected looks good though. Lastly, if you can save money on the windows key, you may be able to get a 5800X instead, which would be a great upgrade for games. You might want to make sure that you get a motherboard supporting bootless BIOS flashing, so that you can update it for the 5000 series without having an older CPU, in case the motherboard does not come updated. This might add a bit more price to the board.

Reactions: Shargrath

Shargrath

May 25, 2009
Looks pretty solid. Only thing I would definitely recommend is to buy a cheaper windows 10 pro key online, and use the media creation tool to make your own bootable flash drive for the install. YMMV, but you shouldn't need to spend $200 on windows. There should be much cheaper keys out there.

As for the RAM, hard to say if you need 32GB or not. The kit you selected looks good though. Lastly, if you can save money on the windows key, you may be able to get a 5800X instead, which would be a great upgrade for games. You might want to make sure that you get a motherboard supporting bootless BIOS flashing, so that you can update it for the 5000 series without having an older CPU, in case the motherboard does not come updated. This might add a bit more price to the board.

Thank you so much for feedback.

About the Windows key, is there a way to buy it from Microsoft cheaper? A person I no longer keep in touch with (unfortunately), bought one years ago from a website and when he tried to use it, it didnt work, was in use. They wouldn't refund his money, he had to dispute with credit card. So I am nervous on buying a key from a third party.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
From microsoft you might get decent deals (the going MS rate for an OEM Pro key is $140 I belive), but the best deals are going to be on 3rd party sites. You would want to use paypal likely with buyer protection, and even then, I have seen keys as cheap as about $5! Check ebay, amazon etc.

Reactions: Shargrath

Shargrath

May 25, 2009
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.
How is AsRock? Reviews seem favorable, but I have never used them. Ive had Abit/Gigabyte motherboards before. I dont know if its worth an extra $100 to get an ASUS (they are a name I recognize).

crockman

May 15, 2005
How is AsRock? Reviews seem favorable, but I have never used them.
I built 2 PC's a bit over 5 years ago, mine, I'm typing to you now with it, the other was for my Nephew
In Both I bought the CPU/MB Bundle at Micro Center, the MB being the ASRock Z97 Pro4. Both PC's are still running great and have had not one problem with either ASRock.
As with any Company though, Murphy's Law, so just be sure to read all the Reviews before you buy.